Oahu Charter Advice?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by DutchmanAZ, Jan 13, 2011.

1. DutchmanAZ

DutchmanAZ Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    None
    My apoligies - I searched and came up empty.

Heading to Oahu next week and am hoping to do a half day out of Honolulu. Would appreciate any advice on who to book with.
    Thanks in advance!

2. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........
    Hahaha.........

Looking for free advertising?

Let's see how long this lasts.......

3. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
  4. caserock

caserock Student of life ....

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    La Otra
    I see posts of these massive Mahi fish ... and happy customers all the time.... and sometimes even pics of marlin bait (skipjack) on a hook at the dock for a happy jpeg.

5. DutchmanAZ

DutchmanAZ Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    None
    Honestly, no, I'm not looking for free advertising, whatever that means. Long time lurker, first time poster. No offense meant to anyone. If I've broken a policy I apologize. Just hoping for advice.
    Been going to Oahu on business trips for that past 6 years and finally have a "free" day that I hoped to use to fish. Have done a week in the Sea of Cortez and had an absolute blast, as well as a trip out of San Diego (fun, but not as productive. Guess that's why it's fishing and not catching).

thanks Patfishhi - overlooked that link. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  6. yellowtailnsd

yellowtailnsd Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    King Fish
    live-bait.com

7. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
  8. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
  9. DutchmanAZ

DutchmanAZ Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to be able to have a full day trip, and am looking at both Honolulu and Haleiwa. Leaning towards the north shore at this point (thanks again for the links).
    Grander - would love to try Kona, but this trip doesn't permit the time. Unfortunately, I've only been on Oahu thus far,and hope to get to see the other islands soon. I'm not a big fan of Honolulu - a bit busy for me.

Thanks again all!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  10. grander007

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Just so you know, kona is just a 30 minute flight away...good luck!

Tight lines,

11. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........
    Kona fishing IS that much better than Oahu....

Worth the flight.....

90% (or something close) of the population of HI is on Oahu so the local fish population gets hammered by locals and tourists........

I've never seen daily fish reports by the charters published...... likely for good reason.....

Fishing in HI is way different than Mexico...... You have a shot at a big Marlin or Tuna or a Wahoo or Dodo but unlikely. Most charters are a long boat ride and if you do catch a fish the charter keeps it. If you want the fish you get to pay market price plus the cost of the charter plus any tip..... Aloha.......

12. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Curt,
    Not to get into a battle just wanting to refute some of your points. Most of the Charter Captains I know don't have time to post reports on BD or other fishing sites. BUT I'll post some links of recent catches just to show the guys do catch and quite often. Recent data is slim because the weather has mostly sucked.
    Oahu, Hawaii Fishing Trophies Caught on the "Live Bait"
    Hawaii Fishing Pictures, North Shore Sportfishing Photos
    Image galleries | Magic Sportfishing Hawaii

If limited to Oahu I'd pick 1 of the 3 links; all 3 located on different sides of the Island (there are plenty of other good ones as well).

13. wisebob

wisebob Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    smallsize kine
    To tell you the truth, it is not really the season right now for trolling which most of the charters do. It'll be 100% better in a few months but right now, you'll be lucky if you get more than a boat ride (especially with a half-day charter).

With that said, if I were in your position and don't mind driving to Waianae (which has the calmest waters on Oahu), I would check with Live Bait as previously recommended.

My recommendation is purely based on knowing that they were pounding the Ahis just before New Years. From my guess, they drag the live Opelu (bait fish) to get the fish which increases your odds tremendously.

bob

14. grander007

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    It is always the season for granders in HI, esp in Kona... One grander caught this December and one 917 lbs in January so far. Main thing is to get out there, either on Oahu or elsewhere.

Tight lines,

15. DutchmanAZ

DutchmanAZ Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    None
    I think you've got me convinced. I'm going to try to set something up on Kona for an all day trip. Thanks again everyone!

16. wisebob

wisebob Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    smallsize kine
    On the bright side, if you end up not catching, you'll at least have the thrill of fishing in the "world famous sportfishing waters of Kona, Hawaii".

I was on a half-day charter in Kona 15 years ago in January and ended up pulling in a Spearfish (Hebi) so got chance!

bob

Here's my memorable day picture. Half-day charter with "Outasight" boat in 1996. Deckhand, me in the middle, and Captain.

Attached Files:

17. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........
    My observations are based upon my personal experience while living on Oahu and even participating in two tournements while there. I'm not saying that fish aren't caught, I'm saying that the numbers are way lower than anything in Alaska or Mexico.

In my opinion the State of Hawaii does an extremely poor job managing this resource and the attitude of the locals is that it is theres to rape. The lack of life to be witnessed in comparison to say even 10 years ago is stunning.

Personally, I travel to SE Asia instead of HI..... The flight is more expensive but the cost of everything else is 1/2 so a trip ends up costing the same..........

18. DutchmanAZ

DutchmanAZ Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    None
    Well, so much for Kona. The rest of the team can't make it with their schedules. Guess we'll opt for a full day out of Oahu.

19. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Fishing is Fishing, I have fished them all and had great days and been skunked. I have fished Kona as a visitor from Maui over 100 days. Yeah I have Two 500 pounders to my credit over there, but like anyplace else I have had slow days. Mainthing go fishing, have fun. The scenery alone is worth the price of admission. Tightlines, Deliman

20. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Making blanket statements about locals makes you look like a real ignorant piece of shit.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011