patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Dropped a 98 lb ahigg last night got 11.90 a lb at todays auction
The report I read somewhere is the LL fleet is just not catching many BET right now; whatever the reason, now is the time. CONGRATS!!!

Justin Neuhart

Kaimana21
Aug 27, 2019
Molokai
Name
Kaimana21
Boat
Ku’u Pua
OK let's try this, we'll work on getting this a sticky. Please feel free to post your auction prices if you want too, I'll update the auction sale as often as I can. Don't hesitate to update the auction sale if you so desire.

Aloha,
Pat

6/15/15:
Long Line:
99k mix 9k swords
Ahi: 7
Shibi: 3
Aku: 93
Marlin: 4
Hebi: 1
Ono: 11
Mahi: 30

Kai'Nana sold one Ahi 6/9/15 105 #'s GnG $4.70/#.

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
So haven't been following much of the long line fleet activities/quotas/etc. It would appear to me that something is impacting the amount of LL fish brought to the market (maybe just timing). A month ago, when not much trolled caught fish were on the floor; we got "come p/u your marlin" and $1.75/lbs ahi.

The other night we dropped our fish off, when I first got there, there were 6-7 trucks in front of us; so we went and grabbed something from Nico's to grind on. After dinner went back over, the crowd had eased, did the deed and hele'd on (it was fairly crowded in the reefer).

Got $2.10 aku. $5.10 ahi. $7.50 mahi. From my limited experience those are pretty good prices, especially compared to a month ago. As well a friend dropped a marlin off the other day and got $4.40.

Cheers
Pat
Pat,
I am a NMFS fisheeies biologist and feel like I usually have a good idea on how and what the overall LL fleet is doing. Having said that general trends are just that, and day to day changes in total landed catch can be significant. Also, there are other somewhat mysterious market-driven forces at work that also affect price.

This summer was interesting in that the longline fleet had 'sucessful' fishing in May/June and mixed results into July.

Higher landings likely drove prices down. From my perspective this was driven by a hot bite up north, followed by a hot bite that quickly deminished down south, followed by a few larger vessels producing on long trips way out east. The southern exclusion zone closed this year where the bite was hot, due to False Killer Whale interactions, and the western pacific BET quota was reached earlier than predicted.

LL fishing effort was higher overall this spring/ summer. This may have been due in part to the swordfish fishery closing early this year (due to reaching the turtle hard cap, and the BIOP/FMP ammendment processes being delayed (in part) by the government shutdown. Higher fishing effort and better overall catch per unit effort (than is typical for this time of year) led to reaching the BET tuna cap, and likely was responsable for lower prices. Then It takes several weeks to impliment the rulemaking allowing the transfer of some BET quota to the HILL fleet, and those not duel permitted or exempted were forced to fish in the far east, where the bite started good (for a few boats), then quickly deminished.

Fishing has remained spotty, and the average trip length has increased (possibly lower quality fish, higher expenese) these lead to periods of time where less fish are landed on any given day, but some days see a large number of fish landed. This seems due to lots of active boats, some with longer trips, and more catch landed when they do come in. This can drive the average prices up on any given day, but could see short periods of a few rays with lower prices.

Fishing usually picks up out east in the next several months, and the quality of the BET will gradually increase post-spawn. This may lead to more days with lower prices for troll caught fish, and some days with higher prices. Longline prices should gradually rise for the best quality fish, and are usually expecyed to do good around tye holidays. Of course if total LL landings are low the day you sell troll caught, the troll caught will still tend to be in higher demand.

All of the forces affecting the prices that buyers are willing to pay for your fish at any given time make it difficult to predict. Having said that, this past month has been a good time to drop troll-caught fish. Despite many LL vessels dropping less catch per trip than average, the higher prices most are realizing has actually helped to keep them fishing as much as ever (in fact more than is typical for this time of year, especially given the 3 closures).

Once they start hitting fish, it would stand to reason that prices will come back down. Of course due to LL trip lengths of over 3 weeks, there is always a lag between good fishing and total landings, so prices may remain strong for at least a few weeks even if some boats have hit them at (for instance) this last moon phase.

Good news for trollers is that a hot bite locally may still realize higher prices even if the LL fleet is experiencing the same hot bite, because their landings may be delayed several days to weeks depending on what stage of their trip they are in, and how far away they are fishing. This does not hold true if the SEZ (Southern Exclusion Zone) is open and many vessels are fishing short/close trips and experiencing the same hot bite as the MHIs.

For all fisherman's sake, hopefully prices remain strong for a while longer here.

John

Last edited:

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pat,
I am a NMFS fisheeies biologist and feel like I usually have a good idea on how and what the overall LL fleet is doing. Having said that general trends are just that, and day to day changes in total landed catch can be significant. Also, there are other somewhat mysterious market-driven forces at work that also affect price.

This summer was interesting in that the longline fleet had 'sucessful' fishing in May/June and mixed results into July.

Higher landings likely drove prices down. From my perspective this was driven by a hot bite up north, followed by a hot bite that quickly deminished down south, followed by a few larger vessels producing on long trips way out east. The southern exclusion zone closed this year where the bite was hot, due to False Killer Whale interactions, and the western pacific BET quota was reached earlier than predicted.

LL fishing effort was higher overall this spring/ summer. This may have been due in part to the swordfish fishery closing early this year (due to reaching the turtle hard cap, and the BIOP/FMP ammendment processes being delayed (in part) by the government shutdown. Higher fishing effort and better overall catch per unit effort (than is typical for this time of year) led to reaching the BET tuna cap, and likely was responsable for lower prices. Then It takes several weeks to impliment the rulemaking allowing the transfer of some BET quota to the HILL fleet, and those not duel permitted or exempted were forced to fish in the far east, where the bite started good (for a few boats), then quickly deminished.

Fishing has remained spotty, and the average trip length has increased (possibly lower quality fish, higher expenese) these lead to periods of time where less fish are landed on any given day, but some days see a large number of fish landed. This seems due to lots of active boats, some with longer trips, and more catch landed when they do come in. This can drive the average prices up on any given day, but could see short periods of a few rays with lower prices.

Fishing usually picks up out east in the next several months, and the quality of the BET will gradually increase post-spawn. This may lead to more days with lower prices for troll caught fish, and some days with higher prices. Longline prices should gradually rise for the best quality fish, and are usually expecyed to do good around tye holidays. Of course if total LL landings are low the day you sell troll caught, the troll caught will still tend to be in higher demand.

All of the forces affecting the prices that buyers are willing to pay for your fish at any given time make it difficult to predict. Having said that, this past month has been a good time to drop troll-caught fish. Despite many LL vessels dropping less catch per trip than average, the higher prices most are realizing has actually helped to keep them fishing as much as ever (in fact more than is typical for this time of year, especially given the 3 closures).

Once they start hitting fish, it would stand to reason that prices will come back down. Of course due to LL trip lengths of over 3 weeks, there is always a lag between good fishing and total landings, so prices may remain strong for at least a few weeks even if some boats have hit them at (for instance) this last moon phase.

Good news for trollers is that a hot bite locally may still realize higher prices even if the LL fleet is experiencing the same hot bite, because their landings may be delayed several days to weeks depending on what stage of their trip they are in, and how far away they are fishing. This does not hold true if the SEZ (Southern Exclusion Zone) is open and many vessels are fishing short/close trips and experiencing the same hot bite as the MHIs.

For all fisherman's sake, hopefully prices remain strong for a while longer here.

John
Thanks John for the detailed update; very much appreciated.

Cheers
Pat

kapnd

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
Anybody been to the block this week?
Last I heard, there was all kinds of changes and prices were rock bottom.
I’m not sure if I should try to drop off fish there or not, I don’t want to get reamed on these beautiful Otaru.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
I understand the process to drop fish is dramatically different, heard prices were down to cents, but also heard they jumped WAY back up the end of last week. All "hear-say" since I haven't dropped any.

shbite

kailua lures
Apr 8, 2009
kailua hi
Name
steve
Boat
19 glass pro
Anybody been to the block this week?
Last I heard, there was all kinds of changes and prices were rock bottom.
I’m not sure if I should try to drop off fish there or not, I don’t want to get reamed on these beautiful Otaru.
Beginning of April bout a 140 lb bigeye for 29 bucks

kapnd

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
Good for you, but an insult to the fisherman!
I heard that most of the long liners are doing short trips closer to home, so, what with restaurants closed down, prices have got to still be rock bottom.

shbite

kailua lures
Apr 8, 2009
kailua hi
Name
steve
Boat
19 glass pro
Good for you, but an insult to the fisherman!
I heard that most of the long liners are doing short trips closer to home, so, what with restaurants closed down, prices have got to still be rock bottom.
I fish a part-time commercial fisherman. That fish fed a lot of people for FREE. What's more insulting is that stores were still selling fish at 20.00 a lb.