I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Hammer Time
Loaded 22 passengers on the O 95 at 8 Wednesday evening
The boat as you know is old but clean and mechanically sound.
Actually it's a very comfortable ride being double plank mahogany
Got to the fishing grounds before Daybreak I made a point to sleep in not hearing any hollering or yelling
Without giving specifics we were South of San Clemente Island
Typical Bluefin fishing a lot of show and in this case no go
Made 1 Patty stop for a single hookup on yellowtail and unfortunately the guy lost it in the kelp
After the noon hour I was fortunate to have the only Bluefin hook up of the entire day for all passengers
I hooked the fish on my antique gear 35 year old custom wrap saber and older model Trinidad 30 loaded with 50 backed with 65 braid
The fish made a freight train initial run getting the spool very close to the bottom
I tighten the drag until I heard a very clear piano sound out of the line
Steady pull in the fish in 40 minutes I regained all the line and had the fish 15 ft from the boat
The deckhand assisting me had taken a rod to get it around the anchor pulpit
70 lb fish was on the surface in gaff range
Size 1 owner Mutu circle hook pulled
Fish is gone
Everyone is disappointed.
Especially the deckhand helping me
There's always the Monday quarterback review
As I mentioned being concerned that I was going to get completely spooled I had the drag completely tighten down. A practice that I normally use (I get criticized for) is when the fish is on the surface at gaff range I back off the drag and thumb the spool. In the event of a violent last-minute head shake or a missed Gaff shot I'm able to release the spool and most likely retain control of the fish.
We moved father West later in the afternoon with numerous other overnight boats worked into the dark with no more luck Headed back after a nice dinner and packed our bags and went home
They call it fishing not catching

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
At least you got bit! Although not a happy ending and not a lot of fishing details due to lack of fish, Thanks for the report!

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
We saw you guys out there yesterday.... fish moved back south. We saw a school pop up here and there, but we got skunked in that zone too.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Lots of boats had tough trips lately. Bluefin being bluefin. I also do your tactic of being ready for a surge in the final ten feet of the fight. Nice report, glad that you had a good fight. I always remember best the ones that get away.

bdogie1

Well-Known "Member"
May 27, 2015
Name
Brandon
Boat
getsome
Cant blame yourself for a pulled hook even if the drag a little tighter than it could have been all thing considered in my opinion it not a farmed fish if the line didn't break good try!