TICK
Jun 27, 2020
Palos Verdes, California
Name
Koa
Boat
PhishFat
O95!~

Day 1: Absolutely DESTROYED Cortes Bank yellowtail with over 150 caught day 1 with 110+ being 18+lbs. Fly Line sardine on 25-30 with a smaller hook was the go-to but ended up destroying on a 2/0 Circle on 40lb with bigger sardines. Went into a night bite where flatfalls were the go-to. Dropped about a dozen times, and got bit on the wind in (SPEED RACER). Slammed my Flat fall and it was GO TIME. Kicked my ass on RGP80 predator and TAC16 (8ft rods arent fun on flatfall). Killed that mofo in about 30 mins ran around the boat twice. 2 Bluefin up to 132 lbs landed by 9:30pm.---Bite stops crew and anglers wind down for the night.
Personal Count: 22 Yellowtail Decked, 6 hand-offs, and 5 catch and release, and 1 132 lb blue fin.
Day 2: Anglers and crew slowly start to wake up. BLUEFIN 4:15 am SLAMMED the Swordfish deep drop light with a flat fall on the end of it. That angler landed 2 big bluefin back to back. One being 134 lbs and one being 130 lbs the 134 being the Trips overall jackpot. Little slower day of fishing but still got into some smaller yellowtail and surrounded by boils of blue fin that were extremely finicky. Talked to a deckhand and grabbed my 60lb live bait rig 4/0 circle and a huge mack, SPRINTED to the bow and cast out. FRESH within 3 mins. Got snapped off of another anglers due to lack of line management. Bite starts to slow as well as anglers. We start back to the harbor.
AWESOME WEATHER and even better trip
Personal Count: 22 yellowtail between 18-30lb 1 132 LB bluefin.

Day 2 was alot of catch and release for me since I didn't want to take more than my share of fish since I knew I wouldnt be able to eat all of it.

To Rick and the Crew of O95, Thanks again. Appreciate all your hard work.

Also big thanks to CHARTER GROUP SO-CAL for welcoming me with open arms.

-Koa.

bft.jpg

sashimi.jpg

Last edited:

chilidip

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
Nice! Gotta try this operation soon. Looks like you had a blast.

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Congrats.. great Capt, crew, & boat

chilidip

Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
O95!~

Day 1: Absolutely DESTROYED Cortes Bank yellowtail with over 150 caught day 1 with 110+ being 18+lbs. Fly Line sardine on 25-30 with a smaller hook was the go-to but ended up destroying on a 2/0 Circle on 40lb with bigger sardines. Went into a night bite where flatfalls were the go-to. Dropped about a dozen times, and got bit on the wind in (SPEED RACER). Slammed my Flat fall and it was GO TIME. Kicked my ass on RGP80 predator and TAC16 (8ft rods arent fun on flatfall). Killed that mofo in about 30 mins ran around the boat twice. 2 Bluefin up to 132 lbs landed by 9:30pm.---Bite stops crew and anglers wind down for the night.
Personal Count: 22 Yellowtail Decked, 6 hand-offs, and 5 catch and release, and 1 132 lb blue fin.
Day 2: Anglers and crew slowly start to wake up. BLUEFIN 4:15 am SLAMMED the Swordfish deep drop light with a flat fall on the end of it. That angler landed 2 big bluefin back to back. One being 134 lbs and one being 130 lbs the 134 being the Trips overall jackpot. Little slower day of fishing but still got into some smaller yellowtail and surrounded by boils of blue fin that were extremely finicky. Talked to a deckhand and grabbed my 60lb live bait rig 4/0 circle and a huge mack, SPRINTED to the bow and cast out. FRESH within 3 mins. Got snapped off of another anglers due to lack of line management. Bite starts to slow as well as anglers. We start back to the harbor.
AWESOME WEATHER and even better trip
Personal Count: 22 yellowtail 1 132 LB bluefin.

Day 2 was alot of catch and release for me since I didn't want to take more than my share of fish since I knew I wouldnt be able to eat all of it.

To Rick and the Crew of O95, Thanks again. Appreciate all your hard work.

-Koa.

View attachment 1216951

View attachment 1216959
Dayum! That toro on the right looks like wagyu. Looks delish!

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
Was a great trip with a great group of fisherman/woman. We always have a great time and the fish are a bonus! Good fishing with you again Koa. Till next season (maybe one more) tight lines!

Reactions: klong60

can

May 10, 2010
Chatsworth
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
thanks for the report and yum yum pictures.

Haven't fished out of Helgrens since the 90s. Gotta get out there!