makohead1

Almost A Member
Nov 23, 2011
Vista Ca U.S.
Name
Ty
Boat
dreamchaser
After a failed effort last Sunday, (primer bulb sucked flat, no fuel) Had to rip up my whole center console and replaced the anti-siphon nozzle on the gas tank, real pain in the ass.. but that's why we all love boating so much right.

Got the boat ready. Have seen a lot of hit and miss, miss and miss reports on the local tuna. Decided to target sharks. Look for a few paddies at first then set the chum bucket and commit. Took my son with me. Launched at around 5:45 out of O`side. headed out about 12 miles saw a school of crashing tuna about a quarter mile outside a group of 6 or seven boats. They were gone by the time we got there but the area looked plenty fishy. Set the bucket out and commited. We waited and waited some more, had 2 balloons out with a fresh mack on one and a frozen one on the other. ..Had a couple of D-heads set up right n my chum slick (they eventually left).. And we waited some more. Chum was gone by noon. Decided to troll a purple bait-o-matic in hopes of hooking a shark zigged and zagged a bit towards Carlsbad canyon. Trolled defeated with our tails between our legs, defeated and depressed.

Son was asleep on the deck.. then I saw the spotter plane circling. He cruised out towards me a bit and dipped his wing. Adrenaline started going. Looked hard and saw a big school of tuna crashing right in front of us at around 2;00 pm 5-6 miles off the power plant. Stopped the boat wound up the bait-o-matic as fast as I could. Hauled ass and slid up on `em about 25 yards away. Never seen anything like it, tuna chasing sardines out of the water and going airborne.. birds crashing. Threw my Mega bait right in the middle of the school, nothing, Threw again, nothing. My son has never been tuna fishing and doesn`t know how to cast a conventional reel... threw the iron again and handed it to him and told him to wind, pinned a mack on my bait stick and threw into the school crashing was getting more violent and the sardines tried to hide from the tuna under my boat. There was tuna everywhere. Could have free gaffed `em. Grabbed the jig stick from my son and handed him the bait rod. Couldn`t believe he wasn`t instantly bit. Guess they want a sardine.. pinned one to my other bait stick casted him into the chaos felt him shit a brick then got picked up took a deep breath counted to 4 and swung hard fish on. Shortly after my son got picked up on the mack. We were both taking laps around the skiff and at one point we were both hung up lines crossed at the transom on the motor.... I thought oh shit were gonna loose `em both. Threw my reel outta gear and my fish swam away from the tangle... My sons fish got free too. Had him place the rod in the holder with his fish still a ways from the boat, He manned the rod and I gaffed the first tuna ever caught on my boat right in the gills, instantly drenched the deck in blood. Back to work, This was a nicer fish took us a while, big circles under the boat thought my 40-60# rod was going to snap. Finally got `em to the gaff... both fish caught on 30# with a 40# fluoro leader 2ott hook. High 5`s a big hug and back to the barn with fresh tuna for the grill.

Whats the best way to get caked on blood off your boat?

Who is that guy who flys the plan want to give him a high five and a hug too. Fished the party boats for years and never seen a school of tuna go apeshit like this in person. I thought one of `em may jump into the boat. Good day to be alive and fishing

fish2.JPG fish4.JPG fish5.JPG bluefin1.JPG

Upvote 0

vincentek9

halibut suck
Apr 9, 2010
anaheim, CA
Name
Vince
Boat
AVparker
HOLY CHIT thats a nice paint job on the deck. and way to go with getting your number called for the tuna lottery.

wash the boat. then areas with blood stains that wont come off, i use a 9:1 water:bleach mix (doesn't need to be exact). spray the blood spots. let it sit a few min, then rinse the boat down.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Whats the best way to get caked on blood off your boat?
If you don't have a wash down hose like myself.Keep a small bucket and a scrub brush and deal with it asap.I didn't know 2 fish could hold that much blood.It looks like fukin OJ was with you.
Use a 5 gallon bucket to bleed them in,fill it half way with water pull a gill and stick them in headfirst.It will keep things cleaner and gives you a better finished product.

Last edited:
Reactions: fackenaso1
Upvote 0

shamitch74

Jan 9, 2010
SOCAL
Name
Earl
Boat
18' Mako CC
That Was Frickin Sweet!! After reading the post I couldn't believe I was still at work!! I was in that STORY!!LOL

Upvote 0

makohead1

Almost A Member
Nov 23, 2011
Vista Ca U.S.
Name
Ty
Boat
dreamchaser
Wow taking and posting a pic of yourself naked with a fish is a bit different...
Your just jealous cuz you cant fish naked up there in Washington. Too F`ING cold. I tried to fish naked in Humboldt once. Too much shrinkage made it hard to take a leak off the side of the boat. I fish naked all the time down here, It just feels natural, primal, all that sardine slime and fish blood,.. better than pussy!... I`m only 45 minutes from TJ sometimes I go down there, pick up some fine ass ho`s and rent a panga and catch tuna while I`m getting` a hummer. ( don`t tell my wife, it`ll be our little secret) What do you guys do for fun up there in Washington? PM me and I`ll send you more pics of me fishing naked... I`ll show you how to catch a tuna naked, I`ll even show yo my boobs.. and you can give me some guidance on coming out of the closet, clearly you`ve already made that journey. ( when I go surf fishing I like to stuff a handful of sancrabs in my shorts, kinda tickles ) Look forward to hearing from you XXOXOX! Hows the tuna bite up there lately?

Upvote 0

Weekend Bender

Keeping it clean
Aug 28, 2008
Laguna Hills Ca.
Name
Chris
Boat
N/A Just the gear
Finally, something i can get with! So friggin awesome bro, I think that's what I'm going to try doing. Target sharks to catch bluefin. After 5 attempts of trying to..... "Stay away from the boat traffic" and...."Find your own".... It's time to switch gears. Nothing to hang your head down low for at the end of a frustrating day.

Congrats! Enjoy your bounty.

This is as bad as fishing for Wahoo round here.

Great job, happy for you.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Your just jealous cuz you cant fish naked up there in Washington. Too F`ING cold. I tried to fish naked in Humboldt once. Too much shrinkage made it hard to take a leak off the side of the boat. I fish naked all the time down here, It just feels natural, primal, all that sardine slime and fish blood,.. better than pussy!... I`m only 45 minutes from TJ sometimes I go down there, pick up some fine ass ho`s and rent a panga and catch tuna while I`m getting` a hummer. ( don`t tell my wife, it`ll be our little secret) What do you guys do for fun up there in Washington? PM me and I`ll send you more pics of me fishing naked... I`ll show you how to catch a tuna naked, I`ll even show yo my boobs.. and you can give me some guidance on coming out of the closet, clearly you`ve already made that journey. ( when I go surf fishing I like to stuff a handful of sancrabs in my shorts, kinda tickles ) Look forward to hearing from you XXOXOX! Hows the tuna bite up there lately?

That's disturbing.

Should have quit while you were ahead. :eyepoppin

Upvote 0