O-side harbor to Cat?

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
It’s over 50 miles just to the east end of the island. You be going straight into it on the way there, but should have a nice down hill swell coming home.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Looks like we are in the same boat, in a manner of speaking. I have the 19 sea ranger.

With a 48 gallon tank how do you get the range? When I fish Cat from DP I bring an extra 10 gallons. Still trying to find the best way to do SCI as far as gas storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    A snip from the Fishdope map

Ocenside to East End.PNG

Upvote 0

browneye

Clueless Noob
    Jun 8, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Arima SeaChaser 17
    Been away for awhile...did a search for 'arima' cuz I bought a new one in 2015.
    We used to do this trip quite a lot when I had the Grady White 208, and I've been running small boats for fifty years. We went mid-summer, for tuna, about a 75 mile loop out near the two islands and then downhill run home back to o'side, back in 2009/2010 when the pelagic game fish were up from mexico.

I don't think I would do it with my '17. It doesn't have the weight nor the hull for deep offshore. I dunno on a 19...maybe. The extra couple of feet does help.

The problem is that if the afternoon westerly really pics up you end up with six foot breakers out there, was wet even on the big and heavy GW. It could be some slow going to get home. The boat will do it, but it can get pretty hairy.

And I think the 19 has the same 28gl tank as the 17, so if you get 5mpg with a 115 or so, you should be good fuel-wise. I might still bring an extra five or ten just for cheap insurance.

Good luck and post an update if you make the trek. :cheers:

Upvote 0