ratboy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
It's been obvious for some time there are fisherman who post on BD who sell a lot of their catch. There's no way even an extended family can eat a small portion of the volume of fish these people catch, and it's unlikely even an outgoing person would have enough friends to give it all away. Do the math. There are fish totals that are over a thousand pounds, and I'm not talking long range fisherman who go on several trips a year. I'm talking local fishing by people who post consistently high numbers. It adds up to one conclusion: They are selling on the black market. Some of these fishermen admit online to not having any obvious job or source of income, unless they're being modest. Maybe, *hopefully* I'm being cynical, and these are honest fishermen and they are generous and donate to shelters, but that's unlikely.
If i brought a thousand pounds of fish home and texted my friends/family come get it, it would be gone in two days no problem, throw the neighbors in and a day maybe....

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
It's been obvious for some time there are fisherman who post on BD who sell a lot of their catch. There's no way even an extended family can eat a small portion of the volume of fish these people catch, and it's unlikely even an outgoing person would have enough friends to give it all away. Do the math. There are fish totals that are over a thousand pounds, and I'm not talking long range fisherman who go on several trips a year. I'm talking local fishing by people who post consistently high numbers. It adds up to one conclusion: They are selling on the black market. Some of these fishermen admit online to not having any obvious job or source of income, unless they're being modest. Maybe, *hopefully* I'm being cynical, and these are honest fishermen and they are generous and donate to shelters, but that's unlikely.

I'm not in agreement with your statement... I'm in no way a "top dog" in the fishing/catching department but... I do know that I catch a fair amount on fish... and I figure that I bring home on average 800-1200 (final edible meat) pounds a year... and I have a 6' chest freezer that I keep stocked with my catch... that being said I have never had problems giving away fish once my freezer was stocked (I give away older fish and restock with fresh)... in my case even if I came home with 500 pounds of fish and did not want a single pound it would be gone in less than 24 hours (95% of the time)... most of us who do fish a lot have friends and family that know we do... and in my case most of them want fish when ever I have it to give away... now add in some coworkers that know you fish and the # gets even bigger... so in your statement "It adds up to one conclusion: They are selling on the black market" I have just provided you with another BIG option on where the fish goes... and I'm sure that a big % of us fisherman are in the same situation... HOWEVER I do agree that some do sell on the "black market" but it is not like how you are thinking it is. OK that's my rant and take it for what its worth (2c) :eyepoppin

Upvote 0

RiceEater

Jan 10, 2006
El Cajon
Name
Shed
Boat
n/a
I can attest to the whole fish and a fish head since I saw them when picking up some squid for bait. I don't know why the person let alone the market kept the Excel tag on the heads.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Bottom line there are two dumbasses at work here

Dumbass #1 who sold his fish with the tag still on them to the fish market

Dumbass #2 the guy at the fish market that put them out for sale with the tags still on them.

Dumbasses like this need all of the punishment they deserve

Reactions: Carpfisher
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If i brought a thousand pounds of fish home and texted my friends/family come get it, it would be gone in two days no problem, throw the neighbors in and a day maybe....
    More like about 4 hours if you give some to co workers
    If you don't having any friends,,,, Then, I guess it would be hard to give away that much fish.

Upvote 0

ratboy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 18, 2006
    sc
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    katie sea
    Bottom line there are two dumbasses at work here

Dumbass #1 who sold his fish with the tag still on them to the fish market

Dumbass #2 the guy at the fish market that put them out for sale with the tags still on them.

Dumbasses like this need all of the punishment they deserve
    maybe the guy who caught them owns or works at the market

Upvote 0

scramblerj

Jan 23, 2013
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Ain’t got one....
    maybe the guy who caught them owns or works at the market

Still not legal to sell sport-caught fish.

From DFW Q&A site (same basic situation as what's happening with the fish market in the OP):

Restaurant is illegally purchasing fish
    Question: I work in a restaurant that continually sells fish that have been given to the chef by local spear fishermen. Is this illegal and should it be reported? (Jeff, Anaheim)

Answer: Both the chef and the local spear fishermen are in violation of Fish and Game laws and can be cited for buying and selling sport caught fish. Fish caught via a sport fishing license may not be bought, sold, traded or bartered (FGC, section 7121). Commercial fishermen are only allowed to fish in certain areas, because some areas are polluted, and also to protect the fish populations. Even if the local spear fishermen did have commercial fishing licenses, they would all still be in violation as a spear is not a legal method of take for commercial fishing.

I suggest you contact CalTIP at our toll-free number of (888) 334-CalTIP or (888) 334-2258). You can do so 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may remain anonymous and may even collect a reward if your tip results in a conviction.

Reactions: Fishybuzz and wils
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    THATS IT!!! I'm fed up with these abuses of the fish stocks!

Where do I sign the petition to end all seiners??

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    There's probably some truth to this,most will disagree.I have friends and plenty of family to give fish to.It;s tough to get rid of 5 or 6 25 pound yellowfin that are filleted nice and clean.At the sushi bar i go to the owner says he'll take anything i don't want.I'm not doing it.

Upvote 0

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
    Name
    GW
    Boat
    Glastron Seafury
    This would be a violation of the Magnuson-Stevens act if in fact the fish were caught in Mexican waters, then it goes to the Feds...

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    They left the tag on the fish on purpose because it says "EXCEL".It gives the fish that official stamp of excellence.
    Trust me, I know how Asians think.

Upvote 0

4Bigeye2na

Almost A Member
    Jan 7, 2015
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Searay
    They left the tag on the fish on purpose because it says "EXCEL".It gives the fish that official stamp of excellence.
    Trust me, I know how Asians think.
    That's the perfect way to end this thread. But it won't

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.