ratboy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
Don't throw me under the bus for my statement above. I was simply expressing my thoughts with laughter and have zero knowledge about commercial licensed fisherman's rules and regulations. I'm not a commercial licensed angler nor do I condone the activity that occurred. Bad karma will catch up to those individuals.

For those that seems to claim they know "How it works," please explain in laymen's terms for many of us that is ignorant on this topic. Most know that recreational licensed anglers can keep their catch and give their catch away and should know they can NOT sell their catch. What's the rules and regulations on "how it works"?
Please don't respond with, "You need to have a commercial fishing license in order to sell your fish;" be more specific. Thanks!

Apologize for jacking the O.P.'s thread.
Must be on a commercially registered vessel fishing commercially, back at the dock sell to a "receiver" fish buyer who has landing receipt booklet, or land yourself if you are a receiver.
Option B write a transportation receipt, weigh fish and transport to a person/buisness who has a receivers license.....

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Could have been a deck hand who sold donated fish, guy could have had a commercial license, you just don't know with this alone.
Very true but why would anyone leave the tag on it?

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
It vill be, the 9mm for him at sunrise.........

salty nuts

Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Must be on a commercially registered vessel fishing commercially, back at the dock sell to a "receiver" fish buyer who has landing receipt booklet, or land yourself if you are a receiver.
Option B write a transportation receipt, weigh fish and transport to a person/buisness who has a receivers license.....
Bingo! Finally an educated response...

Reactions: SeaHawk IV

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
The Excel does not condone or approve of this behavior. It is Illegal to sell sport caught fish in California. The Department of Fish and Game will have our complete cooperation in matters regarding this incident. We have always adhered to Mexican regulations. Anyone who is caught selling or is known to sell their fish will Not be welcome to fish the Excel. We will not tolerate this behavior.
If PESCA sees this, Your probably be a target for them.

terrace

Apr 21, 2010
Central coast Cali
Name
mike
Boat
Yep
Option B write a transportation receipt, weigh fish and transport to a person/buisness who has a receivers license....

And option C. fish from a commercially registered vessel, hold a current operator/crew commercial fishing license and retail permit which allows you to sell uncut fish from the vessel on which they were caught

Reactions: ratboy

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Why? The Excel isn't the knucklehead.
When something like this happens, Everyone is brought into it. Shoot first and ask questions later, If their is an investigation not one stone will go un turned.

salty nuts

Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
And option C. fish from a commercially registered vessel, hold a current operator/crew commercial fishing license and retail permit which allows you to sell uncut fish from the vessel on which they were caught
If these were caught is Mexico no go period! Regardless of what US commercial lic you have...you aren't even supposed to have FG numbers on your boat when going across the border. Big no no

Reactions: plj46

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I have heard that certain sport boats sell their extra catch to restaurants and such, so it's not surprising people are confused about the legal limits. Don't many sport boats also have commercial permits? Are they not allowed to sport and commercial fish at the same time?
The answer is a simple and big no. To sell the fish every angler on the boat must have a commercial license. Not to mention the captain having a commercial captains license, boat permit and possibly stamps for certain species.

Reactions: plj46 and aznboy619

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
The answer is a simple and big no. To sell the fish every angler on the boat must have a commercial license. Not to mention the captain having a commercial captains license, boat permit and possibly stamps for certain species.
This is 100% the facts. .... I've wished for many years that I could legally sell fish I've caught on a sport boat while I was commercially rod and reel licensed ..
Sporties can fish commercially but everyone on board must have a commercial crew license.. and like he said permits for seabass ,live fish and such...

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
I have heard that.....
Abraham Lincoln sent me an e-mail explaining the entire situation:
sportfishing boat = sportfishing boat
commercial boat = commercial boat
................and never the mark twain shall meet.

Have all your other questions been answered?

PS: I've heard of people breaking all sorts of laws.
Confusion is no excu.......oops. Almost forgot. "She should have known better" set a precedent for all future law breakers. :D

so in summation, all characters involved "should have known better".
case closed. :puff:

Reactions: Croaker.Stroker

prater

Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
It's been obvious for some time there are fisherman who post on BD who sell a lot of their catch. There's no way even an extended family can eat a small portion of the volume of fish these people catch, and it's unlikely even an outgoing person would have enough friends to give it all away. Do the math. There are fish totals that are over a thousand pounds, and I'm not talking long range fisherman who go on several trips a year. I'm talking local fishing by people who post consistently high numbers. It adds up to one conclusion: They are selling on the black market. Some of these fishermen admit online to not having any obvious job or source of income, unless they're being modest. Maybe, *hopefully* I'm being cynical, and these are honest fishermen and they are generous and donate to shelters, but that's unlikely.

Reactions: plj46

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
Why does it have to be an Asian market?
Lmao it doesnt "have" to be an asian market but in this case the OP identified it as such

It's been obvious for some time there are fisherman who post on BD who sell a lot of their catch. There's no way even an extended family can eat a small portion of the volume of fish these people catch, and it's unlikely even an outgoing person would have enough friends to give it all away. Do the math. There are fish totals that are over a thousand pounds, and I'm not talking long range fisherman who go on several trips a year. I'm talking local fishing by people who post consistently high numbers. It adds up to one conclusion: They are selling on the black market. Some of these fishermen admit online to not having any obvious job or source of income, unless they're being modest. Maybe, *hopefully* I'm being cynical, and these are honest fishermen and they are generous and donate to shelters, but that's unlikely.
Dumpster or conspiracy? It's gotta be the conspiracy

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Just to be clear..for it to be a commerical caught fish, everyone one the boat has to have a commercial licence.

Still, he fails the dumb fisherman test: did you remove your tags before you sold it to Ms. Wong? RemiNDS me of Mike at Great American (?} who sold to resteraunts out of the same.door you brought the fish in. Flies and all.

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
After looking at that photo again.
Look how fresh those eyes look. About as fresh as it can be. Should be a no brainer finding home squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.