NS Mahi

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by JROLAND, Oct 9, 2011.

1. JROLAND

JROLAND "Wings of Lightning"

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    "007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
    Friday headout at 0500 grab bait then off to the II nothing happening so head up hill to the X find the mahi grab 2 and its getting rough so we head back in. Left a bunch out there and the foxy lady picked up 15 on Saturday. Friend felt bad that we had to call it early, he has a nice bruise from taking a seat while fighting a 32lb cow. Went out again today knowing it was going to be sloppy hit the bait bouy with one other boat and neither of us got an opelu. I make the call to just head back in and watch football, 2 miles outside the harbor see a nice pile of birds with 3 frigates working. See some aku jumping so we put out the small stuff on our bait rods. Hit the pile and bam (0730) 3" Blue Billy Bait gets hit look back and its a Mahi jumping all over the place. Calvin grabs the rod and this fish is running around like a lunitic and taxing out the drag of the spinning rod. I finally chase her down and put the gaff to her. As I'm swinging her into the transom cooler I have this great idea that if i twist the gaff just right she'll fly right into the box :doh:in one fluid motion. Well she did and decided to jump out the other side. I'm like WTF you big retard and run to the other side of the boat and she is just sitting there stunned I'm sure by my stupidity. Get the gaff in once again this time into the box no problems. Great day in by 0830 and was able to watch my Pats beat the Jets. Pics as soon as my 3 amigos get my camera back to me.

v/r Joe

2. Kipi Kai

Kipi Kai Kipi Kai

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    24' Yellowfin (Kipi Kai)
    Hey Joe,
    We saw you washing down in the slip this evening. Congrats on the mahi. I also have experimented with that "special" gaff technique with little success. Your outcome was better than mine.

3. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Joe,
    Glad you got to spend some more time on the water w/ fish in the box. You probably weren't planning on coming around if you got bait but probably would have been worth it if you had. When's the departure date? Good goin on the fish!!!

Pat

4. JROLAND

JROLAND "Wings of Lightning"

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    "007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
    Pat,
    Thanks. We're headed out right after the New Year. Heard about your side but didn't want to put my friend through the uphill ride back although he took a beating none the less at the X. I'm going to try and head out again this weekend, I have a seasoned crew going, so if it looks good over there I'll gladly make the turn.

v/r Joe

5. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    nothing like a quick strike morning and back to the barn before 10 a.m. glad to see you getting some miles on the new sled.