Now I see why they call it Zombie Fishing... No WSB, but caught my 1st Halibut, ever.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Delta Mike, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Delta Mike

Delta Mike You like soup?

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    "I wish"
    Went out last night(15 Jul) on the Pride for my first ever WSB outing.

Left Seaforth at 7ish, headed out to the squid beds and commenced to jigging. Few squid here and there from the 14/15 anglers. Soon as the sun went down and the lights went on, there were literally thousands under the boat. Why did we waste all that energy jigging for an hour for 1 scoop of squid when, once the lights went out there were 100 scoops or so put in the bait tanks? lol, actually, I did say that but in a joking manner because this was my 1st time jigging for squid and I had a blast. Even when the crew were scooping them out left and right into the bait tank, and they told us we didn't have to anymore, a couple of us kept on because we were just happy to have something on the end of our lines.

Once the squid bonanza is over, we head over to Point Loma kelp beds and set up. Zombie mode starts. Mind you, I left AZ at 2:30pm to get to the landing in enough time taking rush hour traffic into account(which was basically non-existent because all the traffic was back up on 8E not W. So I was already quite tired and weary by 10pm'ish or so. By 10 or maybe 11, there were 2 WSB onboard, both caught by the same guy(see his pics below). One on a balloon setup and I think the other flylined.

Think another guy had one on and lost it.

Now onto my story. I listen to the crew and try the flyline setup with live squid, 7/0 hook, 1/8oz glow sinker, short, short mono-flouro with braid setup, etc, etc and get nothing for hours upon hours. It's now 2am... So I think to myself, how about throwing a heavy white glow jig on with a squid and jig off the bottom? BOOM, I get hit like the 3rd bounce. Bad move. 30lb Bat Ray. Takes me around the boat once. Good practice on how to fight a fish(I'm still new at this salt water thing), but it's taking away from the crew trying to help others from what I surmise from the litteral ass-chewing I get from Matt.(Hell, I think he even kicked me one time, lmao). Him - "Darren, why are you bottom-fishing? Quit bottom fishing!" Me - "But wait, I read on BD that dropper loops were used for WSB which means bottom fishing yeah?" Him - "sigh"
    Repeat this scenario 3 or 4 times.

Had the jig on the bottom again later on in the rod holder and the clicker goes off and rod bends and I think, "maybe this is the wsb I'm looking for???" Not. 3 foot Leopard Shark.

At about this time(2:45am'ish), I realize I have a 3 hour drive back home after the boat hits the docks so maybe I should go grab a quick nap? Wake back up around 4:30 and continue WSB'ing. Still nothing.

We are due to head back in at 7am and at around maybe 5:45am or so, the boat get's re-positioned due to the current/tide etc. Here's my chance, I'm switching it up and going calico bassing with the Lexa and Teramar setup and megabait with nothing but mackerel caught on it.

Go back to my MXL and jig and at the 11th hour, I drop down at the bow and almost immediately get hit. I think, "Damn, bat ray #5 or 6(I've lost count by now). Matt's going to chew my ass again." Let me not say anything and fight the fish by my damn self. Head shake, head shake again... "Wait a minute, doesn't feel like a bat ray"...

By this time, Corey/Courtney(sorry, horrible with names), the other deckhand is at the stern and sees me silently struggling, nervously looking around, hoping that Matt is up in the kitchen making breakfast burritos or something. He runs up and sees my rod going off and says it's most likely not a Ray, maybe something else. Hmmm.

Get it to color, and hell's yeah, my first Halibut ever! I'm pumped now and adrenalin is rushing.

The entire boat ended the day with 2 WSB, 1 Barracuda, and the Halibut and Calico I caught. It was horribly slow, but you can't really blame the boat, guys worked hard and were one of the most helpful crews I've seen in my short sport-boat career.

Sorry for the long post. My 1st report and I'm giddy from lack of sleep.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

Winner : This was his 5th WSB trip and the 1st time he caught WSB(2). Persistance pays off.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entire nights catch minus the calico:
    [​IMG]

2. RooftopFishin

RooftopFishin Member

Name:
    Colin
    Boat:
    No longer a boat owner =(
    Nice Report!

3. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    GOOD BOAT, GOOD CREW, GOOD JOB!

4. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club

And a great report!!!

5. dontfishenuff

dontfishenuff Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26 skipjack
    Great report. Good listening to the crew. Showing some initiative troop, not too much. Keep it up, youll be a lean mean fishing killing machine.

6. Deep_blue

Deep_blue Cristy J

Name:
    Robert Jones
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    Great report and a nice halibut. Wtg!

7. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Awesome write up and report

8. hyperiodic

hyperiodic Newbie

Those guys on the Pride fish hard! Hit a seabass trip with them a week or so ago. We didn't get anything, but not for a lack of trying. I fished for 14 hours straight, and so did Matt. Good crew, and good report.

9. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
  10. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    What's with the vagina on the side of that Seabass? Maybe old gaff mark?

11. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Nice job and congrats.

Most of the cbass this year have been high in the water column. If it was me I would fish the balloon or fly line.

12. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    Great report Darren!

13. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Nice report and great effort.
    And thanks for reminding me why I don't go Zombie Fishing.
    Next time!!!

14. Delta Mike

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    "I wish"
    Gilled.

15. Delta Mike

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    "I wish"
    That's where the 2 that were caught hanging out at. I was very tempted to try the balloon but just seeing 2 balloons of the stern constantly get tangled steered me away from it.

16. -scallywag-

-scallywag- salty

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    yak
    I'm guessing it was shot by a freediver and the spear ripped out...I've caught a few with similar wounds but usually in the belly. I've even seen one with a fully healed shark bite across it's back! Seems like these fish are way tuffer than the fisheries "scientist" would like us to believe.

17. WaaTooSee

WaaTooSee Life is Short, Play Now!

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    WaaTooSee
    very cool dude.