SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Love it! As a kid growing up in So Cal a 50lb tuna would have been a dream trophy. In November? Not even in my wildest imaginations. Great job and thanks for sharing!

If you don’t mind, what camera are you using? My iPhone is OK, but your photos are just superb!

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
I have caught tuna in November before - but normally I have had to run at least to San Clemente Island, if not farther to the Tanner or Cortez banks.

I have certainly never seen anything like the volume of tuna I saw this past Saturday, so close to Catalina, this late in the year.

Have I mentioned that I love fishing offshore in the fall?
View attachment 1086490

Anyway, I was expecting to do a lot of driving around until things hopefully picked up in the afternoon - but that was not the case. First thing in the morning, right off the Island, and we were seeing yellowfin tuna all over the place. Tuna foamers, tuna on dolphin, tuna on whales, tuna under birds, just tuna everywhere really.

Early in the morning all the schools were on the anchovy, and as I have usually found to be the case in this situation - they were very eager to eat the popper.
View attachment 1086492 View attachment 1086493View attachment 1086491

After getting several fish on the top water - we did a little hunting around looking for some bluefin, but all we found was more yellowfin and some big skipjack.

We finally gave up on our bluefin search, and pulled up on a big school of mixed yellowfin and skipjack. I dumped a ton of sardine on them and they went wide open and stuck to the boat for the rest of the day until we were ready to go - and we left them biting.

The yellowfin were all between 20 and 50+ pounds (Stephen got the jackpot 50 pounder on bait). The skipjack were big for skippies - 15 pounders. I hooked a ton of skipjack....while Stephen didn't hook a single one. Obviously not inviting him back on my boat again.

Stephen's 50 pounder:
View attachment 1086494

Last fish before we headed back to San Pedro:
View attachment 1086495

Beautiful fall day.

Jonathan

Jonathan, I have noticed over the last several years that you have some fantastic photographs of fish you have taken. I'm sure I don't need to tell you a lot of em are frame worthy and always enjoy seeing what you have to offer. Great work, really love the set--fish colors are just great. Regards

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

• Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    I have a friend who is currently on a 10 day trip and the YFT their getting are all under 20 pounds.

Nice fish!

Reactions: flyliner
    Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    What size/weight and type popper?

Medium size Halco is what I was using. There are lots of quality poppers made right now. I would say more important is how you approach the school and being able to cast into the fish without getting too close to them. Also helpful is being able to recognize what schools are likely to bite the popper because of how they are acting, what they are eating, etc.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Love it! As a kid growing up in So Cal a 50lb tuna would have been a dream trophy. In November? Not even in my wildest imaginations. Great job and thanks for sharing!

If you don’t mind, what camera are you using? My iPhone is OK, but your photos are just superb!

Thanks. I am using one of the newer iPhones - they keep improving their cameras big time. Basically as good as any small point and shoot you.

The more important factor is taking pictures of the fish right after they come out of the water, before dropping them on the deck, making sure you are positioned well with the sun, and of course if you can get a nice gaff shot around the face/gills to minimize damage to the fish - that helps.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Thanks. I am using one of the newer iPhones - they keep improving their cameras big time. Basically as good as any small point and shoot you.

The more important factor is taking pictures of the fish right after they come out of the water, before dropping them on the deck, making sure you are positioned well with the sun, and of course if you can get a nice gaff shot around the face/gills to minimize damage to the fish - that helps.
    Damn, that's what I have! I was hoping on blaming my bad photos on the camera, but it turns out you are just a much better photographer than me LOL

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Appears to be the front side....Queegueg

Looks more like backside on the East end between Catalina and San Clemente. All you do is open up Google earth and pan around until the island image matches the one on Google Earth.

1599630_dd0951cdbd1554ee285d476215c031f3_thumb.jpg

Google Earth:
    catalina-east-end.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: qeequeg
    Upvote 0