Sloberdog

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2008
San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
SeaPro 206 WAC F150
Started with a great scoop from San Diego at 6 a.m....conditions were nice and we were able to cruise at 24 mph, fog not an issue as we headed towards the 371. Paddies were scarce and small from south of the 302. Found one paddy for one descent 8 lbs Dorado and one other spit the hook. About 45 minutes later found another paddy, this one was loaded with 3-6 lbs YT and 8 lbs Dorado, did plenty of drifts on it with YT and Dorado during each one. The YT were close to the paddy, the Dorado seemed to stay a bit further away and liked the slow trolled dine as we drove back to paddy. Next thing you know we have 5-6 boats join us....the fish stopped biting...we go back on the hunt. Another 30 or so minutes and found another paddy, this one was good only for 2 Doritos...both released...start searching again an pull up on a flotilla of boats...some bent...some gaffing...some doing nothing. As soon as we got solid meter marks we started chumming and the YFT came up to play, stayed with us until we ran out of bait on one looonggg drift. We had the YFT 8-12 lbs all to ourselves, we were t least 300-400+ yards away from every other boat...just epic. If you are marking them, and not hooking one within 1 minute, get a new one on. Long soaks did not produce anything.

The ticket for us was 25 lbs floro leader and small hooks, size 1-2 worked for us. YFT would just not bite 25 lb test and 1/0 hook, the Dorado, YT, and a descent Skippy had no problem with it...the YFT just would not fall for it.

The drive back was rough....averaging 17 mph for 90% way home, mixed up swell and whitecaps....the worst the first 15 miles...Had a waterfall coming off my hardtop..

Go get them before the head home for the winter! Here are the coordinates if anyone heading out tomorrow.
11-04-20 YFT Doroda YT 40 miles south of PL 3.jpg
11-04-20 YFT Doroda YT 40 miles south of PL 4.jpg

11-04-20 YFT Doroda YT 40 miles south of PL 2.jpg

11-04-20 YFT Doroda YT 40 miles south of PL.jpg

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Really clear line and small hooks look to be clear no matter the poundage.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Thank you for the report.

I'd say you had a great day and judging by the water bottle in the slurry, you had a decent grade of YFT too.

:appl:

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Upvote 0

Sloberdog

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    SeaPro 206 WAC F150
    My guess is that this weather front is going to shut down our San Diego offshore bite for a few weeks. I have been looking forward to the weekly SD offshore fishing and weather report on the YouTube channel below, he goes over the weather patterns and where the offshore fish were at...and where you may likely find them...great information for the local private boater:

S Cal Fishing Forecast

While on the topic of tuna, what offshore fisherman does not like YFT sushi, best instructions on making sushi rolls...ever.

How to make sushi rolls

Upvote 0