Dexter Outdoors

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
Here is a down and dirty fish report from our trip. After loading up on some good sardines we were headed south to begin our fishing on the upper ridge. The captains plan was to fish our way south by running across the various high spots along the ridge. We ran across schools of the small YFT and skipjacks. We would stop and fish them and get a few skinnies here and there. I believe it was the 23 spot where we had some big 50 lb grade yellowtail come under us. That was a very decent bite with more than a few guys loading up on the giants. Dropper loop with bait or a yo-yo jig worked best on these brutes. This bite lasted for about a half day and for some it was every drop. As we moved farther south we picked a few more wahoo on the troll as well as bombs and bait. Most of the wahoo on this trip were decent size in the 35-50lb class. We ended up with about 19 or 20 wahoo total, so it wasn’t a great wahoo bit at any time. We also hooked up on few marlin as we fished our way south. We finally got down to the Morgan bank where the Excel and the Vagabond were also fishing. Once we got the anchor set we were able to start our big tuna fishing. We fished the bank for a couple days using the Kite, balloons and bait and flylining bait. I think we ended up with 3 YFT over 200, a handful between 100-200 and a few more just under 100 lbs. we also had a pretty good bite on the big yellowtail again while on the bank. One thing to note was we had a great sign of fish all around us each day. The fish were boiling and crashing all around the boat but getting them to bite was a tough. It was a slow tough bite but we managed to get a few in the boat. We certainly lost a few cows and lost one over 300 right at the boat. After a few days we started to head back north along the high spots along the ridge looking for wahoo and tuna. We ran across a couple spots that were WFO on the football size YFT and skipjack. So everyone got their count filled to the limit. We also picked off a few nice grouper in the 30-50lb size and some smaller grade of parvo.
The weather on this trip could not have been better. The ocean was flat and or glassy for most of the trip. We had 1 1/2 days of slight wind while at the Morgan bank but certainly not bad. So our ride down and back up the line was as smooth as it gets. The crew and the food were both outstanding as usually.

7D2BBDF9-0C88-4667-A52B-9CA80B66737A.jpeg

FCE20F7E-4237-4708-9C88-27D8EE02455B.jpeg

D688011D-CF81-4BB2-90C1-DBE031E4B73A.jpeg

91D8016A-AB7B-450C-B77C-797FBCE61F0F.jpeg

DA8D5971-7CDF-47E7-86FC-ECFDCF1CD79D.jpeg

9DCEB65F-7B74-4730-BA2A-F59DAA2DA4A8.jpeg

18241D94-C01B-4ECF-A6FE-BBC8E1A42DD0.jpeg

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
This particular trip was a 15 day trip to Hurricane Bank for the past 15 years. That groups trip was moved so it left an opening in the schedule. They added this 11 day trip to fill the open slot. This time of year is most commonly known for variety trips along the ridge and lower banks. I'm hopeful we will get some time on the lower banks and then fish our way north along the ridge banks for the variety of tuna, wahoo, dorado, and possibly others. It really depends on conditions, current and captains discretion. But you will always get some variety on these type of trips due to the run & gun style of fishing.
I am happy to put this news out regarding the 11 day trip on the Independence which leaves Friday Nov 27. I have been working to get a videographer on board this trip to start a new series of long range fishing video's. We currently have a commitment from Mike Wallace of TripleWall productions to be our videographer. Mike is extremely talented at his craft and for those that don't know who he is or know the quality of his work, you can look up his Going Long video series on youtube. This trip still has some openings but those wont last forever.
I have a great group of local guys going so far. Some that have been long time friends and others that are good friends thru my construction industry work. Everyone is easy going and easy to get along with, and certainly no rude, aggressive or "that guy" types. This is an open trip but we will be giving away some fishing swag items, along with a free raffle of tackle items and producing a TV quality video show. So if your not skeeeerd come join the fun!!!
I booked an unsponsored 11 day trip dparting Nov. 27, 2021 on the Excel in August 2020. I was the first person to sign up (I think) for that trip and it has been slow to fill untill last week when I noticed on their web site in has picked up a sponsor and a whole bunch of passengers. Is this you"Indy" trip?

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
I booked an unsponsored 11 day trip dparting Nov. 27, 2021 on the Excel in August 2020. I was the first person to sign up (I think) for that trip and it has been slow to fill untill last week when I noticed on their web site in has picked up a sponsor and a whole bunch of passengers. Is this you"Indy" trip?
Yes, They picked up the F-N-F sponsorship. I have about 6 or 7 guys coming from my group.

snordo

Almost A Member
Sep 21, 2005
Torrance
Name
Gregg
Boat
Indy

Potato Bank Sunrise and Limited Load didn't suck
Potato Bank Morning.jpg

Morgan Bank Yellowtail (40 lbers)
40 lb Yellows.jpg

The yellow being cleaned out weighed 49 lbs. at the docks and 3rd for Jackpot
40-50 lb yellows from Morgan Bank.jpg

Andy's Jackpot 235lb. (only bait fish of the trip)
Andy's Jackpot 235 lb Taped.jpg

Andy on the rail fighting his jackpot
Andy's Jackpot on the Rail.jpg

Upper and Lower Ridge high spots (we fished San Pablo, the 13, 23, Thetis, Potato and Morgan)
Upper and Lower Ridge High Spots.jpg

Some of the yellows coming home in the carts
Yellows at the Dock.jpg

Bigguns' from the trip
Bigguns from the trip.jpg

Good morning San Diego - no filter needed
Good Morning San Diego.jpg

Last edited: