Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Sword fishing has put a serious dent in our normal South of the Border Rockfishing routine and dammit that needed to end.

We went not sword fishing on Sunday on the Local Knowledge SeaVee with myself, Ali, Jeff (the scientist) and Patrick (thank you for your service). We left the dock around 7 and went to make macs which proved harder than it should be even with chum. It took us a solid hour and a half to get about 40 pieces.

We left for South of the Border around 8:30 and decided to start on our southern most drop on some small patchy hard bottom which usually gives up some really good quality in 220' and then work our way up. First drop and I got a nice double, a legal ling and nice 4# white fish. We let the whitefish go and kept the ling.

We caught a few more fish but with zero current it just seemed like it didn't want to bite based on what we were seeing on the meter. After a few drifts we moved up a little. We started another drift in 220' that went up to 175'. Jeff fished a new Mustad Octopus Jig called a Mustad Inkvader, that Ali had prototype's of. It was impressive. When fishing was slow and we weren't getting bit on bait Jeff caught a few really nice Coppers on the Mustad Inkvader. I was really really impressed that it got bit when the fishing was slow and other things weren't working.

IMG_6449.JPG

This spot was LOADED with big goats and white fish. I mean hit the bottom and you had a 4# plus goat. We kept the first one but released everything else and used a release tool for anything that would't go down (nice having a scientist on board LOL).

IMG_6448.JPG

We caught our fill of big goats and decided to move up a little more to one spot before heading deeper.

We got to the next spot in 280', we finally got a little current and man it went richter. I mean probably the best local codding I've seen. Straight doubles of 2-6lb reds and coppers every single drop for everyone. We've caught bigger but I've never seen it that fast for that kind of consistent quality that shallow.

Didn't matter what you were fishing, Jeff stuck with the Mustad Inkvader, Ali and I fished Gulp and Pat fished bait... it didn't matter. Hit the bottom turn the handle, land a double, rinse repeat.
    IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6446.JPG
    IMG_6447.JPG
    IMG_6450.JPG

Amazing how fast we filled our full limits of Coppers and Reds, kind of bummer that we had to head home. We kept 1 Sheepshead 2 lings and a whitefish from the beginning of the trip and everything else was a Copper or Vermilion.
    IMG_6418.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg

Ali really nailed it running down to fish shallow to start and the 20 minute ride home to Mission Bay at 40 knots still blows my mind even after 20 trips on the SeaVee.

So yeah Not Sword Fishing was really fun lol.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Imperial Beach, CA
    Name
    Franklin Warner
    Boat
    2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    Way to go gentlemen. I like the expanded report from the little I got on Insta. I spent last night fighting dogs off my lobster hoops and I lost. They opened every PVC bait container within an hour. 50 Macks lost!

Reactions: Northeastfshman
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Shit what pound test is that leader? LOL Just in case you hooked up a swordie?

6th pic down with the brown Octopus. Won't let me post the pic. Says it's too big for the server. ?

• Haha
    Reactions: Northeastfshman
    Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Shit what pound test is that leader? LOL Just in case you hooked up a swordie?

6th pic down with the brown Octopus. Won't let me post the pic. Says it's too big for the server. ?

I think 80# lol. Don't call me out on being to lazy to retie the top-shot with something appropriate. LOL

20 mins to Mission Bay at 40kts!!! DAMN!!

It's amazing and that's not even WOT. That boat is unreal. I've been on it in some nasty weather and we still did 30 knots.

Upvote 0

sandman3168

Jul 26, 2011
    Capo Beach
    Name
    patrick sangi
    Boat
    2601 AKA POLE DANCER
    Couple comments on that trip!
    1. The boat is unreal and with the sea keeper, I could have fished all day standing on one leg without so much as falling over. Sea deck made the long day of standing so much better then it could have been without. Highly recommended!
    2. The crew. Having Jeff the biologist made for interesting conversation and technical fish names I never want to hear again. Brett my friend and dock mate, I can never repay you for the invite and amazing time. A great experience! Ali, a tremendous host and fisherman. Thank you for not throwing me overboard for “not” following my lines. Can’t say enough how terrible it was to catch so many ugly fish! Again, thank you.

Upvote 0

grahams98

Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    You caught me...I've already got a YouTube on the inkvader streaming in another window. Looks cool as hell as octopus as bait for bottom dwellers are a magic.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Awesome all around. I want some of those octopus jigs.

However - as the President of the California Sheephead Dork Club - I feel it is my duty to point out that any serious sheephead fisherman knows that a 4-6 pounder is not a "big" goat. I would call that grade "decent" or maybe even "nice" sized. A big goat is a 10-20 pounder - and that grade is not uncommon....and the right spots at the right time of year will produce several fish in that range.

You being an East Coast transplant - this oversight is understandable - your welcome.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    But then I have to fish the patchy bottom in 125' to 200' on the back of Catalina... i.e. I have to take my 21' Parker vs. the Sea Vee.

And Sheepshead are the lamest fish going ...Go fish any other Wrasse, especially Taugog (Blackfish) and you'll loose any respect you had for Sheepshead.

Your welcome LOL.

Upvote 0

barry skaggs

Apr 24, 2019
    huntington beach
    Name
    Barry
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    very interested in the "sea keeper". was it a retro-fit on your boat? (what do you have). i am getting ready to buy a boat (25' range) and am prone to motion sickness. was thinking about a world cat, but this might be better.

thanks for any light you may shed on this for me

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    very interested in the "sea keeper". was it a retro-fit on your boat? (what do you have). i am getting ready to buy a boat (25' range) and am prone to motion sickness. was thinking about a world cat, but this might be better.

thanks for any light you may shed on this for me

It's Ali's boat but the Sea Keeper was added to the SeaVee 340z when it was being built.

It's truly amazing. You can put your drink on the gunnel in 4-5' seas and it will not spill. I couldn't believe the first time I got on that boat.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    But then I have to fish the patchy bottom in 125' to 200' on the back of Catalina... i.e. I have to take my 21' Parker vs. the Sea Vee.

And Sheepshead are the lamest fish going ...Go fish any other Wrasse, especially Taugog (Blackfish) and you'll loose any respect you had for Sheepshead.

Your welcome LOL.

How dare you. Catch a 15 pounder and get back to me.....lol.

Upvote 0