Not Sure How to Title This

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Postal719, Apr 30, 2018.

1. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    So don't fish boats without RSW's problem solved. I can't wait for the season to get going...

redbeard likes this.
  2. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    Maybe its just me (if I have to ask, it probably is me, right?), but I have had tuna that was in the RSW hold on a 2 day trip and I was surprised that the loins were pretty fishy. I couldnt serve it to friends/fam as sushi.

I wasnt the one who caught the tuna so maybe theres a chance that the fish sat on the deck (too long in heat) before or after the RSW. Honestly, after that I was turned off from the overnights because of that experience.

Nothing like bleeding the fish, gill and gut, then completely packing it (inside and out) on ice. That along with careful trimming (and quick consumption) makes for the best quality sushi meat. That is the one reason I love to fish offshore besides just loving the ocean.

I cant wait for the season to start too.

3. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    you can bleed your own fish by cutting a gill raker with dykes
    you can employ a coffee cup or beer can to wet down your own fish
    alot of boats with rsw still use sacks to keep the fish sorted in a hot bite until they can be tagged....20 minutes on deck isn't gonna affect the freshness any at all if it then goes into an rsw..
    my god you kids are spoiled rotten
    age should be required on the banner above your posts so us mature adults can see whom we are dealing with
    61 male 2000 days on boats in my life

eric harner likes this.
  4. eric harner

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Yes the fish have to bleed out. I pretty much only fish the Pacific Voyager, Pacific Dawn & Pacific Queen for short range trips ( 3days) they do know how to handle fish after they hit the deck. There are certainly other boats in the fleet that do handle fish properly. All the long range ships there is never any worry. If you have never had your catch professionally processed give it try. I have fish in my freezer that is 14 months old and taste like it was caught yesterday. I use 5 Star...

SaltH20Angler likes this.
  5. PE Pete

PE Pete Tight lines PE Pete

Name:
    Pe Pete
    Boat:
    Quickbite
    I'm surprised this is even a thing..
    Here in NZ ALL charter operators and every recreational fisho I know has salt ice on board and that's even on a day trip let alone a long range trip.
    When I fish off my ski I use a couple bottles filled with water and frozen, works a treat and fish are nicely chilled when l get home.

6. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    How is wanting the best quality fish possible equate to being spoiled?

Yeah, yeah, yeah... cut a gill, pour (70°) water on the gunny sac blah blah blah... These are 61 year old solutions and are not going to cut it for the immature who want better fish quality for sushi.

I dont give much extra respect based on age or how many days anyone has been on a boat? I respect the my elders for paving the roads before me in a time without google and youtube, but there is a limit to the amount of respect.

I really respect those (without consideration to age or time on a boat) that think things through logically, make wise decisions, practice safety and preparedness, and those who adapt to current conditions to come home safe and with the best haul possible.

An guy a little older than you once told me... If your not adapting you are falling behind.

7. BT3Steve

BT3Steve Wishin I was Fishin!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    I wish
    :jig:This is getting good...

8. nu2reels

nu2reels Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None, I like others to drive while I fish
    Remember the old days when you can siphon gas with a tube,

Clip a small diameter hose the the bait tank and length obviously sits lower than the water, start the suction (ummm, salt water, tasty) and let it drip over your sack

SaltH20Angler likes this.
  9. eric harner

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Well I'm also 61 years young been doing this since I was 8 years old . Back then I don't think the fleet had RSW's , at least the boats we fished on didn't The fish would set in the gunny sacks all day in the hot sun ,we would haul them home and clean them. I still have the Penn 500 I used back then & occasionally I'll use it for nostalgia.
    Fast forward 53 years Spectra, RSW's standard, 2 & 3 speed reels the list goes on & on. I use all state of the art equipment love the RSW's the food. But I think the point that Starman was trying to make was back in the day it was good but different. Younger anglers never got to experience what it used to be like. We are all at this time fortunate enough to fish in the #1 fishery in the world with all the latest accoutrements that go along with it. I for one think it's pretty kick ass. I'm fortunate to have been around long enough to have witnessed all the changes.
    Oh and having only 3 channels on a black & white TV SUCKED!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    stairman likes this.
  10. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS

You god damn young kids with your TVs and your internets

God forbid anybody wants better fish fillets

I rarely fish a cattle boat, but when I did we brought bags of ice and the crew was cool. Only a 3/4 day but worked fine.

11. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Back in the day, not all boats had live bait. Now all do. It's just a mater of time before all boats will have your fish iced down.

12. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    And on top of that you had to wait for the TV to warm up .

eric harner likes this.
  13. redbeard

redbeard Member

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    someday
    Have you all noticed that the fish sticks are so much better than when we were kids back in the 60’s. Just maybe the processors learned a thing or two and adapted.

eric harner likes this.