The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Any body done it? Praises? Regrets? Complications? Recommendations?

I need to be able to sit at a computer, often for 6-8 hours a day. I need to be able to drive up to 12 hours a day in any/all conditions day/night. I need to work 15-hour days with 6-8 hours of drive time mixed-in. It’s a lovely life I live some days. I “need” to be able to drive the boat in all weather day/night, and be on deck in low light to full sun, and still drive home in the dark. I’d love to do it all without contacts, which I’ve been wearing for 25-ish years. I’d still like to read without cheaters. Is it possible?

Upvote 0

Jasper H

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat Name
30’ Osprey
I did it 7 years ago, I 10000% recommend it.

It does feel like an alien abduction for 10-20 seconds though. My recommendation is to take the Vicodin if they offer it.

Reactions: PSULion and Dbado1
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat Name
I hate boats
I had Lasik about 20 years ago.
Ask your dr if the resulting "starry" night vision may have been figured out by now?
It wont effect the need for reading glasses - thats a different 'problem'
Do not expect perfection as a result.
Yes. I would do it again.
whether you get it or not, you DO wear sunglasses when out in the sun..... right?

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat Name
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Your aunt had it done years ago. She'd do it again. The "starry" night vision was there on street lights et cetera but it didn't bother her. She uses glasses now but she was probably in her late 30's when she had it...69 now. Doesn't notice the "starry" night vision now. My brother Jim also had Lasik. His vision required him to have glasses but he didn't need the "reader" built in as a bifocal. After the surgery he needed readers.
Both sit at a computer screen for long periods with no problems.

Reactions: PSULion
Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat Name
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I was going do it last year but was told it could make my age related near vision worse. I am almost 50 and don't need readers yet which may be the benefit of being slightly near sighted. If I had a more significant prescription I would do it and still may if my near vision worsens.

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat Name
18' Tiderunner Runabout
I was going do it last year but was told it could make my age related near vision worse. I am almost 50 and don't need readers yet which may be the benefit of being slightly near sighted. If I had a more significant prescription I would do it and still may if my near vision worsens.
having seen how you throw gear overboard lately...i think now's the time.

• Haha
Reactions: sgwill122 and KimH
Upvote 0

Salmon Hunter

Apr 29, 2010
West Richland WA
Name
Rick
Boat Name
19’ Northwest Jet
Had it done 15 years ago and it has been terrific. I went to Pacific Cataract and Laser Institute because at the time they only had the best instruments. Other places offered a good, better and best structure. It was a bit more expensive but you only have one set of eyes.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat Name
Funny story. I took my wife and my brother to get it done on the same day. In the hotel coffee shop having dinner that evening he's delivered a hamburger and proceeds to proclaim the smell of the charged burger smelled the same as his eyes when he was getting the procedure.

Reactions: Dbado1
Upvote 0

dany08fa

Almost A Member
Aug 5, 2008
Olympia
Name
Daniel
Boat Name
High Hopes
Ive had my lasik for 10 years now and i love it. Nothing bad to say about it. Its like i was born with perfect vision. Im a PC gamer who has played over 10 years and never experienced eye strain even when playing 6-8hrs

Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
Funny story. I took my wife and my brother to get it done on the same day. In the hotel coffee shop having dinner that evening he's delivered a hamburger and proceeds to proclaim the smell of the charged burger smelled the same as his eyes when he was getting the procedure.
I vaguely remember her having it done. That was back when you still had to go to Canada for it, if I recall?

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat Name
I vaguely remember her having it done. That was back when you still had to go to Canada for it, if I recall?
Didn't have to go to Canada but it was cheaper up there for a bit. Same, equipment, procedure et cetera. The reason it was cheaper in Canada at the time if I remember correctly was the franchising laws or rules for the equipment were different than the US. Anyway it worked out well for her I my brother.

Upvote 0

sharkster

Aug 4, 2008
Madison ohio usa
Name
Robert Anderson
Boat Name
17 Arima Sharkster
Had mine done 20 years ago.
Did mono vision. Left eye see distance right eye see close. It has been good until last couple years. Cataract setting in. Starry eyes at night is still there and hard to see oncoming head lights. These new headlights are the worst for me.
Trouble is mono vision left eye can see target but not sights on my glock. Right eye can see sights but not the target.
30 round clips let me spray and pray I hit target.

• Haha
Reactions: Dbado1 and KimH
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
More info....how old are you, are you near or far-sighted??? I had it done in 2001, dialed me in at 15/20 vision (52 now). I'm near sighted (can see close), and it worked like a charm for ~18yrs, than I started to notice blurry signs at 1/8 of a mile.

Went to the eye quack, now I have a couple choices. See great from 10' and beyond, and wear readers, or wear contacts/glasses at 10' and beyond and don't wear readers. Being I sit in front of a computer, I wear glasses/contacts for long vision. If I get lasik for long vision, it's readers for short....no thanks...actually my eyes are changing and I'm starting to seeing better at long now, I think......so no more lasik......

You also have a choice of one eye being lasiked for close and one for far (my Uncle did that). Your brain adjusts quickly I hear, but I chose not to do that. I have heard of new technology about how they may be able to lasik in a type of bifocal deal.....not sure about that.

Yes I could hear and smell the sizzle.......kinda cool......

Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
I’m mid-40’s, very near sighted. My left eye is -5.00, right -3.5. Example: I cannot read the clock on a microwave until I’m almost within 12” of it.

Upvote 0

Madmax22

Jun 25, 2019
WA
Name
Quint
Boat Name
Fiberform 18ft
Was the same way near sighted as all hell. About 12yrs ago had PRK done in the military. Corneas were borderline to thin so the old doc opted for PRK. It takes about a week to get back to work and a while for the eyes to settle in. Lasik is alot quicker initial recovery.

Night time less starry thrn wearing glasses or contacts. About 20/20 rt and 20/15 left. Only thing is a little dry eye if i dont stay hydrated or have fan blowing directly on me. Now that mid/upper 40s probably gonna need reading glasses soon. Thats just getting old though.

Probably best thing i ever got from the military and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: EJ Swanny
Upvote 0