Not loving my trolling reels (PS, A10)

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
Tekota 500 or 600. Whatever sizes makes you happy. And longer rods that have a more moderate action.

Reactions: PNW Drifter
Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
If you want a decent rod that will do both chinook and coho for trolling. I would look into a graphite rod by Berkeley Buzz Ramsey in the 8’6” range and medium heavy action. The rod is awesome because it’s flexible enough to show a small shaker and has enough backbone to land 30 plus pound kings.
For me this style of rod is much too fast action to fish braid. I like a good longer slow action rod for fishing braid and a mono topshot as well for a bit more give. Another bonus to longer rods especially when placed in boom mounted rod holders is it helps increase the spread between gear helping prevent tangles in siwash current and during sharper turns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
Abel Moocher or Islander MR3.
Or if hard 200$ budget diawa m-one or Shimano 2000 moocher and get him hooked on single action!
Also medium action 10’+ rod for downriggers.
meet the phasers to stun so the fish hooks itself if it comes off the clip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2013
Anacortes
Name
Curt
Boat
Duck, Duck, Goose
I have 4 Tekotas, great reel. I've found it simpler and more successful to go Avet MXL 5.8 for salmon, ling, and tuna. 10 ft downrigger rod for salmon with the Avet. Salmon will try to out run you and spit the hook. Leave the kicker in gear when you get a fish on. The Avet combined with the kicker in gear and there is no way a salmon can out run you. Move the Avet to your favorite ling rod. That same ling rod, Avet combo works for tuna bait stops also. I like 60-80 lb braid and change the top shot depending on what you're fishing for. My Tekotas mostly collect dust now.

Upvote 0

PNW Drifter

Almost A Member
Feb 11, 2017
West Seattle
Name
Joe
Boat
Grady White Seafarer 228
If your Penn Warfare isn't smooth you got a bad reel. Probably should buy a new one. I own 2 and friends also love them. Very smooth reel.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I am going to take a look at a few reels and see how they feel. I am still pretty new to salmon and most of my fishing guests are total noobs, so I think that I will stick with a level wind for now. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    You would be surprised how fast someone adapts to a conventional. Last 1.5 years I chartered I was using mxl’s and never lost a fish due to the reels and I know of several fish it probably saved due to fast retrieve ratio and big line capacity.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    You would be surprised how fast someone adapts to a conventional. Last 1.5 years I chartered I was using mxl’s and never lost a fish due to the reels and I know of several fish it probably saved due to fast retrieve ratio and big line capacity.
    Would it be crazy to throw one of my Avet JX 6s on and see how it goes? If it is not a cluster I could look at something like an SX or MX for next year.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    Would it be crazy to throw one of my Avet JX 6s on and see how it goes? If it is not a cluster I could look at something like an SX or MX for next year.
    She is pretty big and probably would ‘t balance too well on most salmon dr rods but might give you an idea if you would like an avet for the application.

Reactions: Nosecrets
    Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat
    Yes
    If you got it, run it. At least a JX isn’t wide.

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    I prefer the older Tekota if you can find any in good condition. I had good luck on EBay but you have to be picky. The biggest Calcutta is also similar to the old Tekota’s. I use to only run the penn international 965/975 but those are gone.

529A4295-492C-45AD-AFA8-AE333160601F.jpeg

5B7CBF0A-9EC9-48D3-B146-3B67F544094A.jpeg

Upvote 0

ShoreSling_r

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Seattle
    Shimano tekota. Just my 2 cents. There’s better reels but the tekotas have proven well. Nice drag and they take a licking and keep on ticking.
    I love my Tekota left-hand reel counter, but it fails the < $200 test. Around $250 retail for a 500. I still have and use Okuma Coldwater series as a backup. Not as smooth or as fast a retrieveas the Shimano, and lots of folks rag on those Okumas for quality issues... but I had good experience with them. Of course I always rinse well after saltwater use, keep them well-lubed and, most importantly, back off the drag between uses.

Upvote 0

Polarbill1999

Almost A Member
    Aug 30, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Brett Yates
    Boat
    1996 Arima Sea Chaser
    I recently picked up a 10'6" and 9'3" okuma guide select classics for 100 bucks at sportco. I have been using the new 300/400 series low pro tekota line counters on those salmon rods. They are baitcasters in the 300/400 series but hold plenty of 50# braid and a mono top shot. 300 has the paddle handle and 400 a power handle. I also have a Daiwa saltist levelwind which I really like.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    After checkout out a few different reels at Outdoor Emporium, I picked up a Tekota 501. I'll give it a shot and if it feels good I will update the rest of my rigs. Thanks for all of the advice.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    I recently picked up a 10'6" and 9'3" okuma guide select classics for 100 bucks at sportco. I have been using the new 300/400 series low pro tekota line counters on those salmon rods. They are baitcasters in the 300/400 series but hold plenty of 50# braid and a mono top shot. 300 has the paddle handle and 400 a power handle. I also have a Daiwa saltist levelwind which I really like.
    I saw that 9'3" and it looked pretty good. I think that it was closer to 150 at outdoor emporium. Have you fished it yet?

Polarbill1999
    Polarbill1999
    Oe/sportco put them on sale sometimes for 100 bones. I have only fished a couple times but like so far. I believe the 10'6" and 9'3" are kind of copies of the lami glass xcc quick 934 and 1062.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ShoreSling_r

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Seattle
    I saw that 9'3" and it looked pretty good. I think that it was closer to 150 at outdoor emporium. Have you fished it yet?
    I have my Tekota 500 LH RC on that same 10'6 Okuma - got the rod on sale for around $100 last year. Use this combo mostly for downrigging, but have mooched with it a few times including at Westport two weeks ago - love it! I'd always advise getting the longer rod, for a number of reasons

Upvote 0

TJzTJ

Piscatorial Postulant
    Aug 23, 2019
    Kitsap
    Name
    Trevor
    Boat
    “Mas Besos” - 2500 Stabicraft Ultracab XL
    Another vote for the Avet SX’s. I keep 65# braid on them, run them on my trolling rigs and switch them out on to my live bait/jig rods for albacore.

I don’t run a topshot at all. Braid to the flasher or leader. Big C Pro Releases work great on braid. Much happier now that I switched.

Upvote 0

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ferndale
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Parker 2520 XL
    I have a couple Tekotas that have very little use (primarily my kids used them). I have been fishing Islanders for 10 years and never went back and now my kids have made the switch to using my Islanders too.... send me a PM if you’re interested in one or two. I may keep one for jigging.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    I have a couple Tekotas that have very little use (primarily my kids used them). I have been fishing Islanders for 10 years and never went back and now my kids have made the switch to using my Islanders too.... send me a PM if you’re interested in one or two. I may keep one for jigging.
    Sent. Thanks.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    Following up on an old thread, I bought a few of the Guide Classic 10'6"s on sale from outdoor emporium and they have been awesome. Much more supple and I can place them in a nice bend without having to bury the line in the release clips. On my first day out (yesterday) with the new rods my pop rate on small fish went way up, with no dragged shakers or little pinks. This is a big improvement from my previous stiffer 9'6" Taloras.

I also switched two rods over to Tekota 501s (I have a bad right shoulder) and they have been a nice upgrade from the warfares. I was really happy with them until I played with putting an Avet JX on one of the rods and WOW, that felt amazing. Smooth, strong, fast, predictable drag, I loved it. I am going to get a couple of SXs for the rods that I run and keep the level-wind Tekotas for my guest or kid rods. Awesome advice everyone, and much appreciated.

Reactions: TJzTJ
    Upvote 0

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    Following up on an old thread, I bought a few of the Guide Classic 10'6"s on sale from outdoor emporium and they have been awesome. Much more supple and I can place them in a nice bend without having to bury the line in the release clips. On my first day out (yesterday) with the new rods my pop rate on small fish went way up, with no dragged shakers or little pinks. This is a big improvement from my previous stiffer 9'6" Taloras.

I also switched two rods over to Tekota 501s (I have a bad right shoulder) and they have been a nice upgrade from the warfares. I was really happy with them until I played with putting an Avet JX on one of the rods and WOW, that felt amazing. Smooth, strong, fast, predictable drag, I loved it. I am going to get a couple of SXs for the rods that I run and keep the level-wind Tekotas for my guest or kid rods. Awesome advice everyone, and much appreciated.
    Good advice here. I’m partial to Shimano . But more importantly , where you from in Mass? I grew up in Shrewsbury but have lived here for 30+ years.

Upvote 0