Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
So here the deal. The last few years my wife was kind enough to let me spend between 80-100 days on the water fishing the San Diego long range boats. I like the 15 days trips the best but have done 8-13 days trips also. Not only do I have a love for fishing but I have a love for anything in the ocean. Yes folks I even like the sharks... to me its all part of nature. I have met some wonderful friends I will cherish the rest of my life. So a few months ago I ask my wife if she wanted to do a big trip.... we do these trip about every 3 years...we have been to Europe a few times and my wife took her mom the far east a few years ago. So we start looking at a book we have on traveling to different places the world has to offer. We looked at a few places and in the end we picked a photograph Safari. We had no clue of where to go so I said to my wife let me make some phone calls. Back to fishing... I fished with a few guys that have been on Safari so I asked for help. My fishing buddy's helped me out and we are going to Tanzania and Kenya with a travel company called Abercrombie & Kent. We will also fly the new A380,the largest passenger plane in the world in business class. We picked Emirates Airline for there outstanding customer service reputation and the lie flat beds are on all there A380 aircraft. We will depart July 30 and arrive in Nairobi Kenya On Aug 1 with a stop over on our way down in Dubai. Aug 2 is my 60th birthday. Wow what a trip this will be. I will be back at fishing with all of you starting in Oct on the Intrepid 15 day then in Nov. on the Excel for a 16 day then back to the Intrepid in Jan for a 15 day and another 15 day on the Intrepid private chartered trip.
Soda Pop

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Great venture for you and your wife... sure you will have a great time. Variety is the spice of life and makes returning home more enjoyable. Be safe...

Upvote 0

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    ken
    Boat
    I found out the hard way about boats
    Excelent choices!!!!Did you know that Kenya and Tanzania have some excelent offshore fishing;black,striped marlin,sails,tuna etc.Not hard to incorporate into your trip btw.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Excelent choices!!!!Did you know that Kenya and Tanzania have some excelent offshore fishing;black,striped marlin,sails,tuna etc.Not hard to incorporate into your trip btw.

Yes I did but I will not be doing any fishing. My wife is not keen on fishing and she will let me travel anywhere in the world to fish so when we go I don't even think about fishing. If I wanted to catch those big marlin I would go to Lizard Island.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Soda,

Sounds like you could use an assistant with all your gear and travel. I would be happy to volunteer to carry your bags wherever you go. If I every grow up I want to be like you.

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
    Feb 16, 2012
    Culver City, CA
    Name
    Connor
    Boat
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Sounds like a great time, Soda Pop! I am sure that you and Mrs. Pop will have an amazing experience.

-Connor

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
    Aug 30, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Charon's skiff
    I can't imagine going to Africa with just a camera, what a waste of a trip.

Soda pop doesn't realize this is like somebody going to a hunting website and posting about the trip he and his wife took to the revellejo (yeah mispelled it) islands to sight see and snorkel but he didn't bring a fishing pole so as to keep his wife happy.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Sounds like a great time. I personally don;t think I would enjoy a "hunting safari". Not against it, just not for me. But just to go and see the animals would be pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Soda, I trust you have a good camera? If not, consider a Sony A6300 or A6500.

Yep we have a new camera my wife just bought. I forgot the name of it and she will take most of the pictures. She just brought home a I-phone 7 plus for me... my flip phone I had for 20+ years finally went out. Now I am learning to work the new phone. Has a great camera and video on the phone. We also have a new movie camera that Sony makes with a great zoom on it. Thanks Jon.

Reactions: Retired1
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Have a wonderful time! Not to be a downer, I urge you to talk to your doctor about his experience with African diseases (and he probably won't have any) but it is very common throughout Africa to be exposed to not just the obvious things like malaria but "little things" like Tick Fever, which will make you think that you caught the flu or have Jet Lag that just doesn't go away. The animals and birds and scenery is gorgeous . . . the little crawly things can mess up your life. Deep Woods Off, in copious amounts!!

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Have a wonderful time! Not to be a downer, I urge you to talk to your doctor about his experience with African diseases (and he probably won't have any) but it is very common throughout Africa to be exposed to not just the obvious things like malaria but "little things" like Tick Fever, which will make you think that you caught the flu or have Jet Lag that just doesn't go away. The animals and birds and scenery is gorgeous . . . the little crawly things can mess up your life. Deep Woods Off, in copious amounts!!

Gary that's for you concern. My wife and I got all the shots we need. Went to the doctor and got Yellow fever, Malaria pills and Hep A and B shots. Have all the bug spray and even got some cloths from REI with washed in bug spray.

Upvote 0

KVB

May 30, 2008
    Mission Viejo, CA., U.S.A.
    Name
    Keith Bridges
    Boat
    21' Ranger 521Z
    My wife and I did the same thing three years ago right after I retired. We flew on the Emirates 380 airbus to Dubai (15 hours). That is one fine aircraft and the service was incredible, kind of like what we experience on our Long Range Boats out of San Diego. Dubai was okay, very expensive. The architecture was incredible. We then flew to Capetown for a few days. We did a shark dive there and it was one of the most incredible things we've ever done. There were 8-10 great whites around the boat at all times. Not the 15-20 footers we've become accustomed to seeing at Guadalupe over the years but 10-12's with a couple of standouts around 15'. i don't care how big they are. When you see an animal of that magnitude a foot from your face it's the most incredible feeling in the world. From there we flew to Durbin where we were picked up and bussed to our destination for the rest of the trip. We stayed at the Spirit Game Lodge in the Zululand Rhino Reserve, South Africa. we saw every big game animal the area

Upvote 0

KVB

May 30, 2008
    Mission Viejo, CA., U.S.A.
    Name
    Keith Bridges
    Boat
    21' Ranger 521Z
    Sorry, cut myself off. Make sure you sample the local cuisine. We had our choices of all the different game animals such as Kudu, wildebeest, cape buffalo. impala,etc. The kudu burger we had was one of the best burgers I've ever had. It is an experience you will enjoy and remember for the rest of your life. Enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0