Not cal

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by LEGENDS, Aug 22, 2016.

1. LEGENDS

LEGENDS Yogi Bear

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    None
    Doing the road trip family vac to northern cal. Going to stop in Eureka and Fort Bragg for a couple days each. Looking for any advice on some charter fishing for halibut and big lings. Mid to late September. Any info is much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    I was just up there last week

definitely take the family to Glass Beach in Fort Bragg

there were a lot of boats running out of Fort Bragg that had great fishing for salmon while I was there. The guys that work for me in Eureka have been f'ing up the Salmon and halibut

but check before you go as its 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

Theres a guy that has a charter business that posts on the Nor Cal forum from Eureka, check his posts.

and if you have free dive gear take it to glass beach and get some abs...

Take the Avenue of the giants detour on your way.

we ate at Django's rough bar in the harbor at Fort Bragg, great chowder, ciopino, and my daughter had the crab bruscetta. I highly recommend it. Silvers is good as well but a bit more pricey. The food and view at Djangos and the price is tough to beat.

stop at the burger stand on the way out of town (north) of Fort Bragg, its on the right. Phenomenal burgers!

LEGENDS and One_Leg like this.
  3. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Fished Ft Bragg last month, no salmon but did well on the rockies and lings. Here is the # to call 707-964-4550. $80, 5 hrs. 3 ling limit, JP was 17.5.

TIPS; push to go up to Westport ( big lings ). They only fish down to 120' up there, so light tackle. 12 to 25lb test, 4 to 8oz sinkers on the shrimp flies. 6 to 10oz swim baits, 4 to 8oz ling bars. Tackle shop at Noyo harbor has every thing you need, at a low price.

The Denny's in Ft Bragg might possibly be the best breakfast on the North Coast.

LEGENDS likes this.
  4. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    ^^^ Great advise. Been years for me, but the one thing I remember was very rough waters up there. Might ask & prep for that in your planning.