Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat Name
on to the next one
So I have tons of "stuff" "ideas to try in the garage. I have been wanting a new jig bag, the openwater bag I've been carrying is beaten too death. I've seen the ammo boxes with pvc pipes but that's a lot of weight before you add your jigs. Hence how popular the openwater bag is even used or the shimano bag that I have seen up too $150 used. These clear tubes have been in my garage for over a year and I was at Walmart walking the aisle I saw a nice cheap cooler. Boom that might work! Ugly color but it was the last one.

IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0422.JPG IMG_0423.JPG

Upvote 0

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat Name
Spirit of Adventure
So I have tons of "stuff" "ideas to try in the garage. I have been wanting a new jig bag, the openwater bag I've been carrying is beaten too death. I've seen the ammo boxes with pvc pipes but that's a lot of weight before you add your jigs. Hence how popular the openwater bag is even used or the shimano bag that I have seen up too $150 used. These clear tubes have been in my garage for over a year and I was at Walmart walking the aisle I saw a nice cheap cooler. Boom that might work! Ugly color but it was the last one.

View attachment 814502 View attachment 814504 View attachment 814505 View attachment 814506
Seem something similar to this cooler back at K mart. I bought on to store my meds and incidentals in for long range trips. They would double nicely for jig tubes, with maybe the exception of wired iron.(don't want to kink single strand)

Upvote 0

Wildman

Junior-Assistant-Deputy CharterMaster in Training
Feb 25, 2007
South Bay, L.A., CA
Name
JC
Boat Name
INTREPID
Great box! what diameter are those tubes? where can we buy them?

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat Name
17' Gregor
Great box! what diameter are those tubes? where can we buy them?
You are probably better off buying schedule 20 PVC pipe from a gardening supply or plumbing supply house. Acrylic or polycarbonate tubing gets a little expensive. Schedule 40 PVC, which is the most common it a little too thick (wall thickness), but doable. The diameter depends on how many jigs you want to insert into each tube.

Reactions: Wildman
Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat Name
soon2B
Good find.
If I may, and I'm not criticizing the idea, but, you may want to locate some clear tubes or PVC that are smaller in diameter as to accommodate only one jig.
If you stuff 2-3 jigs in together they will clank around hitting each other and on a rough trip you'll find a nice pile of paint chips on the bottom (I know from experience).
Just my 2¢ :)

Reactions: Cy Bodden
Upvote 0

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat Name
on to the next one
Good find.
If I may, and I'm not criticizing the idea, but, you may want to locate some clear tubes or PVC that are smaller in diameter as to accommodate only one jig.
If you stuff 2-3 jigs in together they will clank around hitting each other and on a rough trip you'll find a nice pile of paint chips on the bottom (I know from experience).

wasn't to worried about it since i carried them the same way for years in the openwater jig bag. the tadys and salas hold their paint pretty well. Lose more paint with a fish on the end of it hitting the deck.

Upvote 0

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
Valle del Sol
Name
Aaron
Boat Name
Moo
Are you planning on taking that entire cooler with you on a trip? If so, what length? I'm not being a jerk (Scout's honor) ... Honestly curious.

I've promised myself to take half (if that) of what I normally bring, on my next few trips. It's crazy how much gets [email protected], but never used when actually out on the water.

Upvote 0

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat Name
on to the next one
Are you planning on taking that entire cooler with you on a trip? If so, what length? I'm not being a jerk (Scout's honor) ... Honestly curious.

I've promised myself to take half (if that) of what I normally bring, on my next few trips. It's crazy how much gets [email protected], but never used when actually out on the water.
no offense taken its 11x6x8. I mostly find myself fishing jigs so this does simplify things for me. It has 2 zippered sections for a couple of packs of hooks a lil lead and finger tape. Mind you im only out no more than a 1 1/2 trips.

Upvote 0

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
Valle del Sol
Name
Aaron
Boat Name
Moo
Gotcha. All that aside, cheers on the ingenuity. I love going MacGyver, especially when it comes to fishing. :)

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat Name
Gone but not forgotten
Exactly what I did. Made up two of them using 1 1/2" PVC. I think each cooler holds 11 tubes. Couldn't find the acrylic tubing at a reasonable price.

Handy hint if you want to replicate this, make certain your cooler bag has the rigid insert! Keeps everything in place and you are able to remove it for clean-up/wash down.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat Name
Boston whaler Outrage 17,Maycraft 1900
I made this one from a bag I got at the surplus I got the tubes at taps plastics they were the ones you put florecent lights in. I put a pice of plexi glass in the back and bottom so it would stand.

50615912182__57BCE34B-AE20-410C-AC7F-4F169F8CFB59.JPG

Upvote 0

albacore11

May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat Name
Gone but not forgotten
The plastic tubing, having a thinner wall allows you to have more tubes in the bag versus the pvc tubing; you also get a weight advantage. PVC is less expensive initially, but you still have to cut it to length. These pre-cut plastic tubes are already the perfect length...just have to weigh their cost.

Upvote 0

Reel Anxious

Almost A Member
Mar 24, 2012
san diego
Name
Paul
Boat Name
pro line 17' cc
Good find.
Lay the bag on its back to alleviate that problem. I think.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
.Handy hint if you want to replicate this, make certain your cooler bag has the rigid insert!

I was looking at coolers this weekend for this same purpose. Couldn't find ones with insert.

You got an MFG and/or PN for that bag?

Upvote 0

albacore11

May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat Name
Gone but not forgotten
Mine are made by Coleman, purchased on e-bay. If the tags are still on one, I will get you a part number. Search for cooler with hard insert. Let me know if I can provide additional assistance.

Upvote 0