Not all McMahon snaps are created equal

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    My original post here had several important errors!!!

The original post claimed to have identified a potentially important difference between two McMahon style snaps, that I though were both size 7. Atuna expressed some concern. Given his pretty famous attention to detail, I went and rechecked some things.

First of all:

Ok, well that's a little weird. For one, ROSCO doesn't list a #7 snap on their site. Secondly, why is Rapala selling ROSCO snaps.
    Not doubting your intent or methodology at all. I just went to their site to see what a #7 was rated at. After looking closely at the snap on their site and the one you show there are distinct differences I also couldn't find McMahon snaps at the Rapala site. Could you provide a link?

Yikes - -Mea Culpa. It is NOT OK for me to have sent out an inaccurate impression.

Bottom line: Atuna - thank you for having me check things. What happened is that I put the snaps from another site: https://www.terminaltackleco.com/prod_detail_list/601
    These are actually #6, rated at 150#, into a spot next to my McMahon #7 from Leadertec.http: //www.leadertec.com/store/product.php?xProd=440&xSec=34. These are rated at 180.

I was correct that the snaps seem to be the same size:

McMahon measurements.JPG

On repeating the test as I had done it. Hooking one snap to the other, for whatever reason the Rosco still was significantly weaker. HOWEVER: I have now gone back and tested each snap separately. Again, this is what happened when I snapped the two devices together and pull.

Rosco v Leadertec McMahon.JPG

McMahon.JPG

The Leadertec showed no visible deformity.

Then, when I did each snap on its own, repeated three times, interestingly, the Rosco was slightly higher AND failed in a different way: Each time the Rosco failed by continuing to deform until the snap fell off the fixture. Each time the Leadertec failed, quite bizarrely, it broke, but not only did it break, but it broke at 2 places two of the three trials:

Leadertec: Note the three pieces placed below the reading on the PEAK load scale.
    McMahonLeadertec.JPG

The Rosco actually is the winner here, if you count the highest dial figure. I do not believe the difference is statistically significant.
    Rosco McMahon failed.JPG

I can only apologize and self flagellate for posting info based on my recollections, and not being more careful with both my experimental set up and where I sourced my snaps. Rosco McMahon.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Atuna

Salt
    May 3, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Whatever floats
    Ok, well that's a little weird. For one, ROSCO doesn't list a #7 snap on their site. Secondly, why is Rapala selling ROSCO snaps.
    Not doubting your intent or methodology at all. I just went to their site to see what a #7 was rated at. After looking closely at the snap on their site and the one you show there are distinct differences I also couldn't find McMahon snaps at the Rapala site. Could you provide a link?

Upvote 0