David
Boat
Formula 233
233Reno.jpg
photo.JPG
photo-2.JPG
photo-21.JPG
photo-23.JPG
Just picked up this ’78 Formula 233 center console. Going to start tearing it apart next week and start a complete rebuild. Ripping out the floor and replacing stringers/transom/floor etc… Going to end up with a bracket on the back and either a 225 or 250hp outboard.
Pictures before the work starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pacific Jigger

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
I think you should keep it as an I/O. You can buy a Duo prop lower at a reasonable cost and put a brand new motor in it for a third the cost of a four stroke outboard in the 225-300 range. Just my thoughts on the project...

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
Thanks for the input apogee, but going to go with the bracket and outboard, these hulls give an amazing ride when set up like that. I'd like to free up all the cockpit room I can. Not going with a new 4 stroke, not in the budjet but a low hrs 225/250hp 2 stroke is what's gonna hang on the back. Trying to keep the entire build under $15K w/o electronics but it'll probably be closer to $20k when done.

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
Yes, I got lots of information there and have had a cple of Thunderbirds in the past, great boats. I was going to buy something newer but after looking at many center console boats they all had their issues. I'm not a big fan of the newer boats and the boats I do like that are newer are WAY out of my price range- I just can't justify spending $40k-$50k+ for a fishing boat.
My thought process was put the money into a worthwhile hull and build it the way I want it knowing it would be new from the hull up vs spending $20-$25k for something that may have issues. This purchase was $800.00 for the boat and trailer, I just picked up a T-top in excellent condition for $1k, I've spent jsut under $3k in materials so far, I feel even after building it it'll be a killer fishing boat and in my original price range.
Thats the plan anyway...

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
You will have buku room for sure. Probably room for some extended range fuel or fish storage. Either way it is a great looking hull. Get it done and let's go..

jaw1970

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Looks like a great project boat, and you've got the right attitude about it. Looking forward to following the build.

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
hehehe, attitude and finished product sometimes are two different things but I'm pretty motivated. Hope to splash it later this year, may not fish it but at least the goal is to get it in the water and work out the bugs.

I'll post pics later next week as it starts it's transformation.

|HEX|

Feb 1, 2014
Oxnard, California
Name
Hector F
Boat
"Blue Dream II" Parker 2320sl
I'm going to stick around for this one, it should turn out bad ass in the end.
Do you have a time frame of when you expect it to be finished by?
God luck with the build.

Day0ne

Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
No better hull than a 233 Formula. I have a 67 twin I/O and love it. I've never heard that they ride better with an outboard, in fact, just the opposite. Each to his own but I'd never do it.

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
I'm going to stick around for this one, it should turn out bad ass in the end.
Do you have a time frame of when you expect it to be finished by?
God luck with the build.
I'm doing all the teardown and prep, have someone doing the glass work and paint. Hope to have it ready to have a motor bolted on in 3 months.

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
No better hull than a 233 Formula. I have a 67 twin I/O and love it. I've never heard that they ride better with an outboard, in fact, just the opposite. Each to his own but I'd never do it.
Agree with you that it’s probably one of the best hulls ever designed and that the conversion isn’t for everyone but at the same time many owners have done the conversion on these hulls and all like the outcome better than the original layout, for one reason or another.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
OK, getting into it now, floor is out and found some issues but not really as bad as I thought for a 36 year old boat that’s been sitting outside in the elements for god only knows how long. 2 main stringers shot in a cple of areas, forward fuel tank area really bad on port side, and wet at transom.

Side stringers are in much better shape, I’ll have a better idea on those in a cple of days. Going to replace the center stringers and bulkheads first and then move to the side stringers. Fuel tank out and not in that bad a shape, dropped it off to get tested. The transom surprisingly was in really good shape all things considered.

The most interesting thing I found today was that the engine bed stringers were set off to the left (port side) of the out drive opening, may be hard to see in the pic of the transom but it’s off by at least 3-4” Can’t imagine how this thing steered??? The good news is that this thing is built like a tank! Fiberglass is thick, everywhere. No delamination at the stringer beds at all and the hull has lots of glass laid down as well as the transom.

This is my first rebuild of a boat and I am finding it pretty amazing, what you find under a floor when you pull it out, getting a real look at the hull and stringer system all the while thinking everything was solid (hoping for the best) simply by walking, jumping, tapping, looking/feeling for soft spots and all the other tactics people employ. Personally I don’t think any of that matters, I thought it did but after this I believe the best idea is to hire a surveyor who is both skilled and competent to do all the checking, problem is it’s not always feasible.

Looking forward to the next cple of days. Should have all the foam out by Friday, I hope.

Attachments

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
Ready for new stringer system, old stringers were to far gone in many places and decided to redo them all.

Attachments

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
Got the fuel tank in and fitted, worked out great, finished the stringers and most of the transom, going to fab a shelf off of the transom to accommodate trim tab pump and oil tank for motor and who knows what else. Also tie the inside transom to the bilge area, still trying to figure that out but have a cple of ideas. Got a little foam in, that stuff is a pita…

IMGP0003.JPG

IMGP0006.JPG

IMGP0010.JPG

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
Made some more progress, got all the stringers glassed in and have the floor fitted in and ready for a top coat of glass. Cutouts are storage in front and rear and the fish hold in the very front. The fish hold is probably twice as large as it was originally, was going to enlarge the original and decided to just seal in the area and use all the space. The very rear storage opening gives access to the entire center hull up to the rear of the gas tank, under the center console and back to the transom. At the rear sides of the deck it’s beveled to leave an area for drain water to collect and exit through the scuppers which will much larger then the originals.
I’m going to shoot the floor with a chop gun to apply a complete coat of about 3/16th of glass tying in and sealing the deck entirely. Wasn’t sure about this but happy with the way it came out. I’ll post more pics when it’s set up completely.

IMG_20140510_094415_537.jpg

IMG__215.jpg

IMG__407.jpg

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
You da man...

kojo94526

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2011
CA
Name
David
Boat
Formula 233
It's been a while, honestly thought this would go together much faster than it has but I guess sometimes reality finds a way to slap you in the face. Over the winter didn't get much done but got it to this stage, hopefully the end is near. All that's really left is finish the rigging, paint the deck and interior sides and lots of finishing work.

Hope to get in the water before end of summer, that's the plan anyway. Here a few pics of where the project is now.

IMGP232.JPG

IMGP231.JPG

IMGP0031.JPG

IMGP233.JPG

IMGP0098.JPG

IMGP0097.JPG

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Progress is the important thing even if it comes slower and with a bigger price tag than expected.

IMO you picked one of relatively few hulls that are worth the kind of effort your putting in. It will be awesome when your done.