JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Was asked by the new owner of my old boat to take him out for a quick fishing lesson, this was last minute but i decided it would be the right thing to do and my oldest son was up for a half day of fishing and was even more excited when it was decided to launch at 0700 not 0500. We put in on time and headed to the II didn't see many birds they were all in search mode. Got to the bouy made some passes nothing the owner didn't seem comfortable that far out so I told him we could go inside and fish the ledge a few miles from the beach (much happier) lil Joe and I were a little disappointed but hey we were fishing. headed straight for keana Pt fished 2 bird piles with no knockdowns, continued inside and around 1500' 5+ miles NNE of the point (0915)I decided to switch up my corner from a purple and black senior wide range to a crazy colored(blue/pink/yellow) pakula Phantom. Set the lure in the spread checked the drag turned to see where the new owner was taking us and BAAAAAAAMMMMMMM. My son who was dead asleep with his head resting on the gunwale a foot from the rod almost jumped out of the boat as I yelled Marlin and the drag started singing. This marlin must have been hanging around back there and the lure/switch/lure was to much for her to take. Solid hookset then got everyone moving in the right direction, son in the harness, lures out, deck clear Fished jumped 3 times and then headed deep (awesome) we had gotten the bow out of the line and my son was head to head with his first marlin. 45 minutes later clean release (est. 200lb Blue), son whining about how sore his back was but doing so with the biggest shit eating grin ever, new owner blown away (this aint large mouth bass fishing) and one happy dad. Headed back to Haliewa looking for an ono but caught an Aku. On the way home I listened as my son described his newest victory to his grandfather. Life is good.

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Thanks philip, now his little brother and sister want the same action, they don't seem to understand that catching the bill collector is a little harder than the opelu and aku at the shark bouy. Having 4 out of five diehard offshore fisherman in the family will make future upgrades easier to clear thru household 06. Chasing fish for 12 hours with the kids means an upgrade on the boat but the sales pitch is 12 hours of peace and quiet for the wife.

brumleym

Feb 12, 2009
Mililani, Oahu, USA
Name
Mike Brumley
Boat
18'5" Livingston Sport Twin 60s
Awesome report and A+++ Dad of the Year for letting the little guy battle the big blue bitch. Got your 30lb ono in 150 -175 ft of water by Kiana Pt after turning your way after hearing you got the marlin (thanks for the call) and saying "good for Joe, thats awesome and following it with a - I hate that guy for being so lucky... " when I was thrown a pity fish on a maurader like lure with double hooks. Anyway. I hope we catch alot tomorrow Joe on the Foxy Lady. Congrats you lucky SOB. Mike

jonesd055

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 20, 2006
Hawaii Kai
Name
Jonesy
Boat
20', Calais, Shilelagh Law
Right on, always cool to hear about family fishing-thats one day I'm sure neither of you will ever forget. My kids are still young yet but I'm dreaming about about a bigger boat for family fishing trips.....

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Man what a GREAT day. New boat owner happy (got myself a fish catchin boat), Gramps is happy (gets to hear the story retold time and time again), Dad is happy (junior got a better taste of it) and Son is happy because it don't get much better than that or maybe until he gets to do that for his son some day.

Good on all of ya, catchin and releasing marlin doesn't just happen.

Pat