North Shore Mahi

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by JROLAND, Dec 5, 2011.

1. JROLAND

JROLAND "Wings of Lightning"

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    "007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
    Finally got a day off and the weather to align and decided to take advantage. Left the harbor at 0600 grabbed some opelu at the bouy and be lined it for the II. Got there and 3 boats and a jetski were already working it:hali_parkutuli:, was bummed but lined up the spread and did the drive by (bam pickup a mahi 2 banger 4" bl/wht cedar plug and 9" blu/pink reel tight. Looked like everyone was jigging and not catching much, got a little crowded when they saw the 2 mahi come on board. Had the lines cleared so decide to live bait. Went 2/2 on each of the first 3 passes :2gunsfiring_v1:. Tossed some dead saba and the mahi were not picky. Keep 8 and let the small kine go back to grow some more. Great day, finished by 1130 and back in time with dinner for friends and family. :food-smil

v/r Joe

Attached Files:

2. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    nice mahi's looks like fun!

3. captdon1

captdon1 Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
    joe nice fish for sure! sounds like you all had a fun filled day congrats :urno1:

aloha captdon

4. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Joe and crew,

Nice day of catchin' right there... Live, dead, wood and plastic; good variety to throw at them, they never knew what hit 'em.

Pat

5. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Nice pile of mahis. I can visualize the other boats picking up the pace after they saw you pass by and put two on the boat. :rofl:

Jonny

6. JROLAND

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    Thanks brian.

Thanks CPT Don, we are still looking for a day like you all had before I head out for Afghan. Might have to bring the sled around the corner this month.

v/r Joe

Pat,
    Figured we would get them confused with choices and take advantage of thier glutoneous personalities (they didn't disappoint).

v/r Joe

Jonny,
    Wasn't to bad, not that many obsenities thrown around (go pro audio would have only been R rated). Trying to keep track of the jetskier and little RiB was a chore in the rough water. I wish the jetski guys would use a bike type flag to make it easier to see them, when they are in the trough they are invisible.

v/r Joe

7. Rubberduck

Rubberduck Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23 ft Baliistic RiB, Rubber Duck
    Actually it shouldn't be much of a chore to keep track of the little RIB after all no one else has complained:) But you were right though, the mahis were biting everything and anything in the morning. Can't say the same for shibis.
    Good going on your catch,
    "Little RIB"

8. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    joe way to get out there and slay'em.

9. JROLAND

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    Bill,
    No complaining just an observation :). I was suprised we didn't pickup a Shibi out there also, looks like they were over on the East side. Hope to see you guys out there again. Tight lines and stay safe.

v/r Joe

10. JROLAND

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    Thanks Mike. When are headed back this way? I'm headed out next month for my bi annual paid vacation to the beautiful red desert area.:2gunsfiring_v1:

v/r Joe

11. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    at minimum i have to be here for 2 years then hopefully they will let do my last 3 back on island. finally got my back surgery and am now on 3 mos convalescent leave. hopefully my spine is cured so i can fish again.

12. Rubberduck

Rubberduck Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23 ft Baliistic RiB, Rubber Duck
    Vr/Joe,

East side for sure - was at the LL on Monday with 40 to 60 pounders jumping out of the water.
    Hope they hang around for a while. Go load 'em up if you have a chance to go.
    See you in the water next time.
    Bill

13. vellocity

vellocity search for the 99lb YT

Name:
    Nelz
    Boat:
    Vellocity
    hey Joe
    i'm the jetski guy. really, i need a bike flag to go fishing? it wasn't that rough out there that you "had to keep track" of me and the RIB. you're fishing the buoy on a weekend, figure it out, you ain't gonna be alone. and i wasn't yelling a "rated R Hello" over to you when you ran up the back of my ski and cut one of my opelus off that was was baiting :finger: if you can see the buoy then you can see a jetski. it ain't rocket science how to fish a FAD in Hawaii. running hard back up to the buoy amongst everyone else trying to take their turn making a pass, deep jigging or baiting is plain stupid! i log onto BD and i see your fish report and your "details" so i gotta call you out on your newbie shit. LOL

the mahis are everywhere on the northsides right now. in a couple of months we won't need to sort through the small ones and they'll all be keepers :) hopefully the other kine yellow fish start sliding down to our side of the island!!!

good job on the mahis, everyone's eating good these days!!

14. fishintuition

fishintuition Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    the transom
    good going..enjoy!!

15. JROLAND

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    Nelz,
    I apologize for the cutoff (my fault for sure). I have a couple of guys from work that ski fish, they put the flags up to make it easier to keep track of each other while they are fishing seems like a good idea (not mandatory missed the point). Tight lines and stay safe brother.

v/r Joe

16. vellocity

vellocity search for the 99lb YT

Name:
    Nelz
    Boat:
    Vellocity
    right on for owning up Joe. i love your big fishbox on the back end, perfect for settling down those spastic Mahis!
    good luck to you guys.