PENN

colemans224

May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat
seaswirl cc
Left mission bay around 5:30am after getting a half scoop of deans. Headed to the north 9 to see if we could find some kelps that were holding. Found several kelps but no love. Tons of life out there, birds working bait, porpoise etc.. Water temps 66-67 degrees.

Headed into the Point Loma kelp area and caught a few bass in 60-80ft of water. Not much current but still scratched a few bass. Beautiful seas today.

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
Went out with a buddy on his beautiful ride towards the southern end of the US side of the nine looking to put his grandkids on some bonita. Prowled around the border zone for the morning and back north towards the point and same report, tons of birds doing the perfect looking stuff, porpoise everywhere, piles of birds, porpoise and scales in the water, but no fish.. well, grandkid caught a small mako on a megabait, but other than that, nada. Fantastic conditions.

SuperPutt

• Aug 12, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    BLAKE PUTTKAMMER
    Boat
    Little Marange
    I'm still trying to figure out the range on my little boat. Only have a 20 gallon tank hah.
    Takes a while to get used to it. I've got a 32 gal tank and we always bring 5-15 gal of extra fuel depending on where we are going. Better safe than sorry and worth it when conditions are good enough to go far.

Reactions: colemans224
    Upvote 0

colemans224

May 28, 2008
    SoCal
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    seaswirl cc
    Takes a while to get used to it. I've got a 32 gal tank and we always bring 5-15 gal of extra fuel depending on where we are going. Better safe than sorry and worth it when conditions are good enough to go far.

For sure. Definitely better safe than sorry. If you were going to the nados to fish yellows how much extra fuel would you bring? What do you figure your average fuel burn is?

Upvote 0

SuperPutt

• Aug 12, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    BLAKE PUTTKAMMER
    Boat
    Little Marange
    For sure. Definitely better safe than sorry. If you were going to the nados to fish yellows how much extra fuel would you bring? What do you figure your average fuel burn is?
    We generally assume a 3-3.5 MPG on my boat (18' CC with 2020 115 Yamaha) so we will usually only bring our 5 gal jerry can to the islands. That said we were getting nothing less than 5 mpg on Saturday down to the 371. Gas is also not really a concern for us going down to the islands its more on the longer hauls (302, 425, 371 and so on). My electronics also tell me what I'm getting as far as fuel economy so the first handful of trips I just kept an eye on that to see what the average looked like and assumed the low end of that.

Reactions: colemans224
    Upvote 0