PENN

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Okay. I just got in. My friend and I had the boat in the water by 5:45am. Boats were starting to line up at Dana Landing. Picked a solid half scoop of smoking sardines and headed out. We pretty much stuck with a 235 to 240 compass heading and started to drop back a purple feather at about the 12 mile mark. I got slammed before I even had the trolling rod put into position. Picked up a nice Yellowfin. Headed towards a large group of boats on the North end of the 9. No kelp paddy in sight. Just drifting and hooking up on live bait. We picked up another 4 solid tuna with two Bluefin thrown in. Found a couple of paddies and one had yellows on it but they would not cooperate. They had been hit pretty good earlier. So, in summary, if you are going on Friday, get out early. The bite was good until about 10:30ish. Buy bait. Head for the top of the 9 and start trolling and looking. There are fish spread out over a very large area. It is going to be a zoo this weekend. No pictures because I am too tired to go and find them. The wind came up pretty good in the afternoon and we took some spray but it was easy conditions to be in even for a small boat. Water temps were in the 71 degree range. Lots of fish out there. Have fun, play nice and be safe.

John

1996 1850 Seaswirl W/A

Reactions: stuman and 2small
Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
Thank you very much for the timely report. I'm headed out tomorrow morning. I will execute your info. Again. Thank you.

Upvote 0

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
Thanks for the report. I've got a 18.5' stripper also. We took it out to that same area on Tuesday for a 13 mixed fish day.
Got to love catching on a small boat, but you do have to watch the weather. I think we put a total of 71 miles on the boat.
How about you?

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Believe me, I always appreciate days like this and never take them for granted. I covered 53.6 miles and got just over 4 miles per gallon. She has been a great boat and I had her in some really tough conditions. I heard Tuesday was really good with great weather to boot. I will watch the weather and maybe go out next week. It will be crowded Saturday so I will probably surf.

John

Upvote 0

FoolinFish4Fun

Friggin Fish are Freaky Fun to Fool
Sep 17, 2011
San Tan Valley, AZ USA
Name
Tim
Boat
The best kine - Not Mine!!
Believe me, I always appreciate days like this and never take them for granted. I covered 53.6 miles and got just over 4 miles per gallon. She has been a great boat and I had her in some really tough conditions. I heard Tuesday was really good with great weather to boot. I will watch the weather and maybe go out next week. It will be crowded Saturday so I will probably surf.

John

:devil: X2 on the surfing Sat. Great, timely report. Go get 'em boyz!!

Upvote 0

War Horse

Jan 23, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
War Horse
I went to the 209 yesterday fished a patty with yellowtail to 10 lbs and 15 other boats.
I have to say everybody played nice.
Great day.

Upvote 0

jughead

Jun 10, 2006
Alpine
Name
John
Boat
24 Seaswirl striper
I took my 10 year old grandson II out on his first offshore trip yesterday and got in on that epic " drift bait bite". I guess the location was given away by the birds. There was a ton of Bluefin and yellowfin with about 50 boats including the San Diego cattle boat. The YF went a solid 20 Lbs. We caught 4 out of 5 hookups. I guess some people caught limits who were there at the beginning of the bite.........Jughead..........

Reactions: reel loco
Upvote 0

Jason J

Jul 13, 2014
Name
Jason jicher
Boat
Hell bent
I took my 10 year old grandson II out on his first offshore trip yesterday and got in on that epic " drift bait bite". I guess the location was given away by the birds. There was a ton of Bluefin and yellowfin with about 50 boats including the San Diego cattle boat. The YF went a solid 20 Lbs. We caught 4 out of 5 hookups. I guess some people caught limits who were there at the beginning of the bite.........Jughead..........
what area was that in jug? N9?

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Thank you for the report.
    Sounds like you could have put the trollers in a lil earlier. Might have only gone 40 miles.

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    The fish seemed to be out at about the 10 to 12 mile mark. That is where I started trolling and got hit. I guess, they might be in closer. I ran 53 miles but that is just trolling and looking at an area of water that was around the top of the 9. Conditions are good right now. I hope the boys do well today.

John

Upvote 0

Jason J

Jul 13, 2014
    Name
    Jason jicher
    Boat
    Hell bent
    Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it. Heading out tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes

Upvote 0

Andrew Kovach

Almost A Member
    May 29, 2014
    Lancaster, CA
    Name
    Key West
    Boat
    20 foot CC
    Okay. I just got in. My friend and I had the boat in the water by 5:45am. Boats were starting to line up at Dana Landing. Picked a solid half scoop of smoking sardines and headed out. We pretty much stuck with a 235 to 240 compass heading and started to drop back a purple feather at about the 12 mile mark. I got slammed before I even had the trolling rod put into position. Picked up a nice Yellowfin. Headed towards a large group of boats on the North end of the 9. No kelp paddy in sight. Just drifting and hooking up on live bait. We picked up another 4 solid tuna with two Bluefin thrown in. Found a couple of paddies and one had yellows on it but they would not cooperate. They had been hit pretty good earlier. So, in summary, if you are going on Friday, get out early. The bite was good until about 10:30ish. Buy bait. Head for the top of the 9 and start trolling and looking. There are fish spread out over a very large area. It is going to be a zoo this weekend. No pictures because I am too tired to go and find them. The wind came up pretty good in the afternoon and we took some spray but it was easy conditions to be in even for a small boat. Water temps were in the 71 degree range. Lots of fish out there. Have fun, play nice and be safe.

John

1996 1850 Seaswirl W/A
    Nice report!

Upvote 0