norcaltunaclub.com 8 day trip report - Royal Polaris

Dexter Outdoors
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Joining us on this trip would be Capt. Roy Rose, Eddy, Deron, Doug, Greg, Kyle, Chef Joe and Chef Mark. The day before our trip departed, I had a chance to sit down with Frank in his office as we talked about our relationship moving forward. It’s very comforting in knowing how passionate he is about the “RP experience” and how our group will be very well taken care of moving forward. Our group has worked our way up and now we’ve finally earned this position. We’re now on the Alpha boat, with the Alpha Skipper (Capt. Roy Rose) and things were about to pay off……….big time.

After we checked in with customs in Ensenada, we steamed straight for the Island and got all settled in around 2pm. Didn’t take long for the fish to find the boat….within a few minutes we could see the foamers and boils slowly starting to come towards us. Within the first couple of hours the pattern started to emerge…..from that point on it was evident that something was about to explode.

Mayhem hit the deck soon after….gaffs were flying, crew members were running and everyone was smiling with screams and shrieks of victory at sea. It was absolutely amazing to see all of this unfolding in front of us. At this very moment, I realized that everything happens for a reason. The debacle on the other boat last year, provided us with the opportunity that we were living in this year. As a group, we all understood the reasons why and we were glowing and basking in the moment. Life was good…we were living it up RP Style!

After dinner we got into the usual late night ripper bite on slug YT……..first night we stuck a couple dozen of these bruisers on the deck…straight 35-40lbrs. The second night, Roy Rose comes running into my stateroom and tells me the following.. “Doug…wake up, the Yellows are biting like crazy and deck is full”. Say what??? I look at my watch and it’s only 2:38am. After the dust settled around 5am, Roy does the tally and told us that we just set a new RP boat record. Oh yeah….karma. In fact, our group actually had 2 RP boat records. Second one is personal and the entire crew, Roy and Frank were blown away. That’s how we roll.

Wash rinse and repeat on day #2. The Pink Skirt award was settled and claimed it's winner with Greg Gillis. Just like we had been telling people all along, there's something magical about that skirt. Once Greg put it on, he was getting bit a rapid pace. He could do no wrong. Well, until he got slammed to the deck while harnessed into a big bruising kite fish......be careful if you fish a harness.

After 2.5 days of fishing (YFT to 150lbs and YT to 50lbs) we jugged the boat were all satisfied and it was time to respect what we had and to leave this beautiful Island. We had so many new PB’s, plenty of sore bodies and tons of smiling faces. We were golden. We steamed straight to Benitos to see if we could catch some rock cod, calicos and anything else. Well, as luck would have it……Rick “The Processor” landed a huge 148lb Opah on a jig in the shallows. What an amazing way to top off our stellar trip. I know Anglewood will be writing up a more detailed report in the coming days.

Enjoy, thank you.

Cheers,
Doug
norcaltunaclub.com

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Awesome..!!

Reactions: norcaltunaclub
Upvote 0

bobby7321

Almost A Member
Aug 6, 2008
Visalia, CA
Name
Bobby
Boat
10' jon boat
I want to thank Doug and the rest of the guys for allowing me to be part of such a great trip. Great group of guys. I didn't know anyone on the trip, and on top of that I'm not the most social guy, yet the guys made me feel like a long time member of the club. I feel super fortunate to have been able to sneak in and jump on right at the last minute on such a awesome trip. Thanks again fellas. Hope to fish with you guys again next year.

28858100055_6d0618a9c4_z.jpg

28753307892_c61f2b2920_z.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I want to thank Doug and the rest of the guys for allowing me to be part of such a great trip. Great group of guys. I didn't know anyone on the trip, and on top of that I'm not the most social guy, yet the guys made me feel like a long time member of the club. I feel super fortunate to have been able to sneak in and jump on right at the last minute on such a awesome trip. Thanks again fellas. Hope to fish with you guys again next year.

28858100055_6d0618a9c4_z.jpg

28753307892_c61f2b2920_z.jpg
Bobby - we were so glad that you had the chance to come out and fish with us. You're a really nice guy and you helped balance out the unique mix of personalities. I was asked on several occasions if you, Bill "Pargee-moto" and Rick "the Processor" have been fishing with our charter for the past few years. We all took that as a huge compliment since we all blended in so well. We're all looking forward to fishing with you again next year! I'll keep you posted via email. Great photos and equally great trip...thanks for sharing!

Reactions: bobby7321
Upvote 0

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
Tahoe
Name
Steve
Boat
clawfoot tub
Thanks for the report Doug. Great to see Guad pay off for you guys! Beware of the pink skirt...

Upvote 0

The Dr.

Almost A Member
May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
EPIC trip Doug! Those yellows are tanks! I'm hoping Dan brings me a couple collars! I'm stoked I'll be able to join you guys next year. Count down has begun...only 360 days and a wakeup!

Reactions: norcaltunaclub
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Strong work! :)

Upvote 0

fisherman1133

fisherman1133
Apr 22, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Matthew Lowe
Boat
2320 Parker (Bigger Jigger)
Joining us on this trip would be Capt. Roy Rose, Eddy, Deron, Doug, Greg, Kyle, Chef Joe and Chef Mark. The day before our trip departed, I had a chance to sit down with Frank in his office as we talked about our relationship moving forward. It’s very comforting in knowing how passionate he is about the “RP experience” and how our group will be very well taken care of moving forward. Our group has worked our way up and now we’ve finally earned this position. We’re now on the Alpha boat, with the Alpha Skipper (Capt. Roy Rose) and things were about to pay off……….big time.

After we checked in with customs in Ensenada, we steamed straight for the Island and got all settled in around 2pm. Didn’t take long for the fish to find the boat….within a few minutes we could see the foamers and boils slowly starting to come towards us. Within the first couple of hours the pattern started to emerge…..from that point on it was evident that something was about to explode.

Mayhem hit the deck soon after….gaffs were flying, crew members were running and everyone was smiling with screams and shrieks of victory at sea. It was absolutely amazing to see all of this unfolding in front of us. At this very moment, I realized that everything happens for a reason. The debacle on the other boat last year, provided us with the opportunity that we were living in this year. As a group, we all understood the reasons why and we were glowing and basking in the moment. Life was good…we were living it up RP Style!

After dinner we got into the usual late night ripper bite on slug YT……..first night we stuck a couple dozen of these bruisers on the deck…straight 35-40lbrs. The second night, Roy Rose comes running into my stateroom and tells me the following.. “Doug…wake up, the Yellows are biting like crazy and deck is full”. Say what??? I look at my watch and it’s only 2:38am. After the dust settled around 5am, Roy does the tally and told us that we just set a new RP boat record. Oh yeah….karma. In fact, our group actually had 2 RP boat records. Second one is personal and the entire crew, Roy and Frank were blown away. That’s how we roll.

Wash rinse and repeat on day #2. The Pink Skirt award was settled and claimed it's winner with Greg Gillis. Just like we had been telling people all along, there's something magical about that skirt. Once Greg put it on, he was getting bit a rapid pace. He could do no wrong. Well, until he got slammed to the deck while harnessed into a big bruising kite fish......be careful if you fish a harness.

After 2.5 days of fishing (YFT to 150lbs and YT to 50lbs) we jugged the boat were all satisfied and it was time to respect what we had and to leave this beautiful Island. We had so many new PB’s, plenty of sore bodies and tons of smiling faces. We were golden. We steamed straight to Benitos to see if we could catch some rock cod, calicos and anything else. Well, as luck would have it……Rick “The Processor” landed a huge 148lb Opah on a jig in the shallows. What an amazing way to top off our stellar trip. I know Anglewood will be writing up a more detailed report in the coming days.

Enjoy, thank you.

Cheers,
Doug
norcaltunaclub.com

View attachment 781574 View attachment 781575 View attachment 781576 View attachment 781577 View attachment 781579 View attachment 781581 View attachment 781583 View attachment 781584 View attachment 781586 View attachment 781587 View attachment 781588 View attachment 781589 View attachment 781590 View attachment 781591 View attachment 781592 View attachment 781593 View attachment 781594 View attachment 781595 View attachment 781597 View attachment 781601 View attachment 781604 View attachment 781605 View attachment 781606 View attachment 781607 View attachment 781608 View attachment 781609 View attachment 781610 View attachment 781611 View attachment 781613 View attachment 781614 View attachment 781615

So stoked you guys crushed it! Thanks for bringing the high I felt on my trip back to me as I sit in my first Law School seminar. I hope I get a chance to fish with your group at some point.

Upvote 0