DESTROYER
Aug 7, 2004
La Mesa
www.ballastpoint.com
Name
"DESTROYER"
Boat
22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
I want to say thanks to everyone who gave advice on this trip to make it so successful!!

Last year I went to Long Beach Harbor with Hai in my 14 livingston for hoop netting for lobster. Well that didn't end well as we got 1 short for our effort. This year was round 2 and from what everyone was telling me you need to go to Catilina Island. Well guess I have to bring the big boat out and try it out. Planned this trip over 2 months ago and Oct was a no go for opener so Nov it is. This year we had my buddy Mitchell and Hai. We got a Mutli day permit so we can get 2 limits of lobster. Got the boat loaded and off we went Friday 7pm.

Had to get gas 3 times before we reached Long Beach at 2:30am Saturday

Launched the boat at 5am and headed over to Nachos for some bait. We got squid as thats the hot bait right now. Got a Scoop of squid and off we went to the East end of the island

Love the socal weather!! FAC

Found the fleet on the back side of the island in the morning and gave it a few hours. Saw a few fish landed but nothing for us. Its the afternoon now and we make a move to the front side where I see a small fleet. I motor around and find some bait and lines in. We were fly lining bait

we get a few bonitos, macs, and perch. Then Hai gets the right kind of bite and we put a smaller grade yellow on deck. Skunk off.. we start chumming the water and tons of bait come up and we get more of the right kind of bites. We lots a lot and end up long landing 4 yellows before a few boats that saw us hooking up shut down the bite. sucks but o well.

Lunch time we get a mooring at two harbor for the afternoon and night.

Head back out around 4pm to get the bait set up for hooping and look for some spots to drop. We used fresh macs we caught. Marked a few spots and waited till 5:30 to drop

1st pot empty-- man its going to be a rough day

2nd pot -1 -- barely legal -- skunk off

3rd pot -6 -- with jumbo now this is better

by the 10th pot we had almost limits

by 7 we got our limits and toss back 2 limits

We went back to harbor and nap till 12 am and was done by 1:30 for our 2nd limits

Went to the mooring and slept till 8am. Was tired. Cleaned up and headed to the yellow spot to find no one there. Great we give it another try and larger yellows came to play. We landed 7 more within a 1 hour and headed back to long beach for a lil fishing and got into the dock after 12pm. Great trip and cant wait to do it again

Awesome trip Boys! One to remember for sure!

Reactions: ISLAND BOUND
Upvote 0

gunnslinger

Steel Panther Fan
Aug 2, 2011
Santucky
Name
Neil
Boat
19ft custom C.C. /Cobra tandum/ Ocean Kayak Scrambler xt
If you are wonder we got the legal limit of 42 for 3 people with a multi day permit purchased a week ago, we left sat morning and didn't come back to harbor till after 12pm sunday
Frank the regs state "7 in possession" you are over limit period. ? Did you read the regs.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
This is what the permit says:
(a) Provisions related to the angler: Up to three daily bag and possession limits of saltwater fin fish, lobster and rock scallops and up to two daily bag and possession limits of abalone are allowed for a person fishing during a multi-day trip in ocean waters from a boat whose owner or operator has filed a Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, pursuant to the provisions of subsection (b) below.

So your possession limits also go up. This has to be the case, or else the permit would be useless, since additional bag limits without additional possession limits = worthless.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
This is why I don't post shit here... too many jealous a holes that think they are the DFG.

Great job guys, should of went for 3 day limits! ; )

#makebloodydecksgreatagain

Breathe deep brother, it's okay. :nopity:La la la la la . . . don't you become a Gilmore girl too!

Plan the FN trip to the island would you, and let's go pillage, it's time for A true bang fest!

Upvote 0

rhamilton210

Adventurous sort
Mar 20, 2006
Poway
Name
Ron
Boat
18 Glastron, BBLU
Nice haul guys. We did the 600 mile trip for abs in August, with the wife and pups in a motor home. Know what you went through...:)

Reactions: ba_reefer
Upvote 0

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Michael
Boat
My Medication
Nice Haul! You guys killed it! Im going this weekend and hope to do half as good as you guys Thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
May 12, 2009
Menifee, CA United States
Name
Joe
Boat
2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
Congrats Frank. Just FYI for everyone here is the limit info from the regs:
According to CCR T14, Section 29.90(b), the daily recreational bag limit is seven lobsters per person. Additionally, Section 1.17 states that no more than one daily bag limit may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR), regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved. This means that if you have a limit of seven lobsters at home, you cannot go out and get more lobsters until the first limit is disposed of in some way (eaten, given away, etc)..

And here is the lingo on the multi day declaration:
The following provisions apply to anglers and to boat owners and operators when a Declaration for a Multi-Day Fishing Trip has been filed with the department.

(a) Provisions related to the angler: Up to three daily bag and possession limits of saltwater fin fish, lobster and rock scallops and up to two daily bag and possession limits of abalone are allowed for a person fishing during a multi-day trip in ocean waters from a boat whose owner or operator has filed a Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, pursuant to the provisions of subsection (b) below.

Totally legal but I was also under the impression 7 was it no matter what - probably because I was too lazy to look it up myself ...

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
The idiot is correct. The regs say no more than 7 in your possession including your home and other places.
You have no clue either. Maybe do your homework, comments like this just shows your complete misunderstanding of the regs. You CAN have up to 21 in possession when you file a multi day permit and meet all of the criteria in retaining them legally.

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Breathe deep brother, it's okay. :nopity:La la la la la . . . don't you become a Gilmore girl too!

Plan the FN trip to the island would you, and let's go pillage, it's time for A true bang fest!
Working on it, but I hear we can only take 7 each... is that correct:D

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Awesome Frank! The keyboard fishermen are out in full force on this one. Get off the haterade folks, he's legal. Go fishing dumbshits

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
You have no clue either. Maybe do your homework, comments like this just shows your complete misunderstanding of the regs. You CAN have up to 21 in possession when you file a multi day permit and meet all of the criteria in retaining them legally.

Now I know where I got my White Knuckles, attaboy Mike.
. . . think that calls for a fourth dart on the board! Nice checkmate!

Upvote 0

2454 big mike

Aug 31, 2015
Ramona
Name
Mike
Boat
Party crasher
After checking several sites it's seems that you are correct.
A little confusing when part of the regs say you can only have 7 in your possession.
I stand corrected.

Reactions: ISLAND BOUND
Upvote 0