Norcal to Socal Lobster

PENN

ba_reefer

Jul 16, 2011
Oakland,CA
Name
Frank
Boat
Arima 21ht SR w yami 150/ Arima 17 Sea Chaser w/ Yami 100 / arima 17 sea ranger w merc 90
I want to say thanks to everyone who gave advice on this trip to make it so successful!!

Last year I went to Long Beach Harbor with Hai in my 14 livingston for hoop netting for lobster. Well that didn't end well as we got 1 short for our effort. This year was round 2 and from what everyone was telling me you need to go to Catilina Island. Well guess I have to bring the big boat out and try it out. Planned this trip over 2 months ago and Oct was a no go for opener so Nov it is. This year we had my buddy Mitchell and Hai. We got a Mutli day permit so we can get 2 limits of lobster. Got the boat loaded and off we went Friday 7pm.

Had to get gas 3 times before we reached Long Beach at 2:30am Saturday

Launched the boat at 5am and headed over to Nachos for some bait. We got squid as thats the hot bait right now. Got a Scoop of squid and off we went to the East end of the island

Love the socal weather!! FAC

Found the fleet on the back side of the island in the morning and gave it a few hours. Saw a few fish landed but nothing for us. Its the afternoon now and we make a move to the front side where I see a small fleet. I motor around and find some bait and lines in. We were fly lining bait

we get a few bonitos, macs, and perch. Then Hai gets the right kind of bite and we put a smaller grade yellow on deck. Skunk off.. we start chumming the water and tons of bait come up and we get more of the right kind of bites. We lots a lot and end up long landing 4 yellows before a few boats that saw us hooking up shut down the bite. sucks but o well.

Lunch time we get a mooring at two harbor for the afternoon and night.

Head back out around 4pm to get the bait set up for hooping and look for some spots to drop. We used fresh macs we caught. Marked a few spots and waited till 5:30 to drop

1st pot empty-- man its going to be a rough day

2nd pot -1 -- barely legal -- skunk off

3rd pot -6 -- with jumbo now this is better

by the 10th pot we had almost limits

by 7 we got our limits and toss back 2 limits

We went back to harbor and nap till 12 am and was done by 1:30 for our 2nd limits

Went to the mooring and slept till 8am. Was tired. Cleaned up and headed to the yellow spot to find no one there. Great we give it another try and larger yellows came to play. We landed 7 more within a 1 hour and headed back to long beach for a lil fishing and got into the dock after 12pm. Great trip and cant wait to do it again

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I personally would have left picture #5 out of your report. Got ICE?

Yeah you clobbered'em alright, seen this before just can't place it at the moment.

Nice trip!

Reactions: johnny12fish
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Looks like you did it right! Good write up, and great pics! Be safe heading home.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
That's a long haul from Oakland, and it paid off.

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Is it bad that the bugs are bigger than the tails?

**I got banned for this comment, which is utter horse shit. The reason I got was "for shitting on someones report." I made a sarcastic remark that pertains to many previous threads on keeping tiny yellowtail and, rather than open a new dialogue, I just get shut off from replying all together. That needs to be fixed, BD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Ok Hotrail, I'm slow. What am I missing? Why don't you just say what you are trying to imply?

Another good report gets shit on. Classic.

Reactions: s//m_cinco
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Is it bad that the bugs are bigger than the tails?
If I drove 500 plus miles, pulling a boat, fished for two days and had to drive 500 miles back, you bet your ass I'm keeping the legal fish I plan on eating.

Take your shit and start another thread. I'm tired of people crapping on solid reports.

Upvote 0

ba_reefer

Jul 16, 2011
Oakland,CA
Name
Frank
Boat
Arima 21ht SR w yami 150/ Arima 17 Sea Chaser w/ Yami 100 / arima 17 sea ranger w merc 90
Thanks, Fish were decent size nothing huge .. yes we ate the fish and the bugs where huge!!

If I drove 500 plus miles, pulling a boat, fished for two days and had to drive 500 miles back, you bet your ass I'm keeping the legal fish I plan on eating.

Take your shit and start another thread. I'm tired of people crapping on solid reports.

Upvote 0

ba_reefer

Jul 16, 2011
Oakland,CA
Name
Frank
Boat
If you are wonder we got the legal limit of 42 for 3 people with a multi day permit purchased a week ago, we left sat morning and didn't come back to harbor till after 12pm sunday

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Yes 3 guys 2 day permit= 42 bugs Can you not count either. Nice haul for a road trip just do the math at least FloMar gets it,

3x14= What, now Count. And delete
    He needs to be able to read firs, Before he deletes it. He stated he pulled 2 day permits. Theirs always someone is going to be jealous.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    He needs to be able to read firs, Before he deletes it. He stated he pulled 2 day permits. Theirs always someone is going to be jealous.
    Since most people seem too dense to figure out what he is infering, I will help. He is inferring that if you count the number of lobsters in the photo it is over the allowed 42 of a 2 day permit with 3 guys. Looked pretty close to 42 to me, but I counted on a phone, so I will assume the OP properly counted and say congratulations.

Upvote 0

Latest posts