GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Almost as rare as an Opah catch, at least this year, I was surprised on Sat. with water temp around 73 degrees. Not completely, as I had heard a rumor of another catch the day before. So I had changed my approach the night before the Heros on the Water fund raising tournament. Got lucky and managed to pull out the big fish prize. Anyway, here is the video.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Nice work! - fish and video.

Guess nobody told you its tuna season. :D

Upvote 0

BryDog

May 29, 2014
Name
Bryan Benjestorf
Boat
Abbalanche
Damn bro, unreal vids.Safe to say you know what's up!
:rockin:

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Wow, that's huge seabass. Congrats. Any pics of you holding it for size comparison?

Also, what's that rod and reel combo again? Calcutta 300 TE? Rod? Very impressive.

Reactions: HUMMER DUDE
Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
If anyone was gonna' do it....WTG Greg, you work your ass off for bites like that :appl::appl::appl:

NOpah...that's funny!!! LOL

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Soon as the Tuna are back within 7 or 8 miles I will be back out there looking.

I downgraded from the 400te to the 400B (with little change), but am still using the GLoomis BBR964C (12-25) rod.

Yeah, the fish was originally weighed with a gameclip attached at 50#, and the clip weighs 1#.

Unfortunately, fishing from a kayak, I cannot afford to use the skeleton back door to pick up the sounds. I have to keep the camera out of the salt water which essentially mutes the footage.

Here is a link to more pics of the fish and tournament. http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/la-jolla-kayak-fishing-tournament/

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
I always enjoy your posts.

That's a pig YT. Congrats.

Mike

Upvote 0

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Shopping for something else
Soon as the Tuna are back within 7 or 8 miles I will be back out there looking.

I downgraded from the 400te to the 400B (with little change), but am still using the GLoomis BBR964C (12-25) rod.

Yeah, the fish was originally weighed with a gameclip attached at 50#, and the clip weighs 1#.

Unfortunately, fishing from a kayak, I cannot afford to use the skeleton back door to pick up the sounds. I have to keep the camera out of the salt water which essentially mutes the footage.

Here is a link to more pics of the fish and tournament. http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/la-jolla-kayak-fishing-tournament/

Hey Greg WTG.
I mounted my Go on my rocket launcher with a hose clamp thru a home brew plastic bracket and found on Sat that all my video when I was fishing dodos idling had a loud hum overlaying everything. It has the water proof case. The mount is straight around the rod holder with no rubber. You obviously don't have the engine noise problem, but do you think that a rubber gasket will take away the noise?
Scott
image.jpg

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Hey Greg WTG.
I mounted my Go on my rocket launcher with a hose clamp thru a home brew plastic bracket and found on Sat that all my video when I was fishing dodos idling had a loud hum overlaying everything. It has the water proof case. The mount is straight around the rod holder with no rubber. You obviously don't have the engine noise problem, but do you think that a rubber gasket will take away the noise?
Scott
View attachment 542926

It might even transfer through the hose clamp. I would try either attaching with Velcro or rubber between all hard connections, or as the connections themselves. Make sure you can quickly point the camera down cause lots of good footage will happen boat-side. You might find that you want to put it on a pole you can throw in rail rod mounts, cause any distance with wide angle makes your fish look real small. Although, I have not tried anything less than the Wide selection on my cameras yet.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Great catch, Greg! The still shot on the Kayak issue confirms that is 100% hog! Good eats.

Upvote 0