cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
Looking to get started by repairing some rods I have with broken guides, eventually/hopefully making 1-2 rods per year there after.

Any reason I shouldn't get the items below from mudhole (CRB hand wrapper and 18rpm dryer?

I am open to suggestions.

Planning on buying guides, thread and finish from squidco since I need to match up the guides anyway.

Am I missing anything? Should I just buy the whole "KIT" or the individual components I need?

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Rod-Repair/Rod-Building-Small-Business-Start-Up-Kit

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Hand-Wrappers/CRB-Hand-Wrapper-System-HWS-1

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Dryers/RDS-Rod-Drying-System-18RPM-110V

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
Northern CA
Name
Joe
Boat
none
FYI:
10% off mudhole with code WON10 - From Western Outdoor News

I ordered about $500 in blanks and guides last week for two builds and found that code last nigh when I finally had time to read the free copy I got from the Fred Hall show. Ironically I have been screwing around wrapping rods and gaffs with my free time and never opened the paper.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
The hand wrapper "kit" that Mud Hole sells that comes with the dryer would be exactly what you need. Sorry, I didn't take time to check the links you provided, but you'll figure it out.

JFK

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
I'd buy individual components. That way you can get a better brand of finish. Flexcoat and U40 are two good places to start. The other small tools in that kit can be had for a few dollars a piece, and the dvd and book aren't worth much. Better instructional materials are available for free now days. That reamer that comes with the kit is also a small size, so if you'll be building larger salt water rods it won't be ideal.

It's a few bucks more but you may look at the flexcoat hand wrapper or even build something similar. What's nice about it is that you can move the supports. The MH brand wrapper doesn't let you move the supports. It doesn't sound like a big deal but comes in really handy when you're doing a tip section with closely spaced guides.

Lots of other good suppliers out there besides mudhole too.

cmepen

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 16, 2009
Chula Vista
Name
Einar Lohner
Boat
Cabo Marine 226
Chad, if I may make a recommendation, before you invest any money. You live in San Diego, invest some of your time and attend a rod building class at Don's house. Look at the top of this forum for time and date info. You could fix your guides working on lathes gaining experience and learning/talking/questioning some of San Diego's very talented experienced, and knowledgable rod builders. they attend these classes weekly.
Good luck
Einar

Reactions: JTrelikes

fishdeck

May 1, 2012
LA
Name
John Yoder
Boat
Lip Ripper
JFK - your backwards, the MH CRB hand wrapper DOES let you move the supports (when attached to the base as well as when removed from the base). The "older" wooden hand wrappers with wood supports don't let you move the supports - ie flex coast, pac bay, batson.