bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Hey guys,
    just picked up one of the new Nomad Slidekick (surface iron) in sardine and man it feels weird. Not going to lie, it looks fantastic and sturdy with a metal plate connecting the two rings and has good weight to it (4.25oz) so distance shouldn't be an issue. But the body is made out of a hard clear rubber that has a good amount of "stick" to it. Putting it up against my leather tuck seats you cant slide it, it almost feels like those hard rubber bouncy balls. Ill take it to the harbor today and see how it swims, but i just have a bad feeling that #1 its going to be destroyed by anything with teeth (Barracuda, Bonito, Ect..) and #2 is that the fish will really have to bite the hook to get it to stick.

Another side note: I am very disappointed in the finish consistency of it. Each one I touched (about 15) had a different amount of "defects" or blemish from coming out of the mold, usually on the leading edge about .5" from the top ring, and then again down the body on the other edge. I was really hoping these would be perfect considering nomad's other products, but I do believe there will be some out there that just don't swim well, just like any other non cnc'd jig. Time will tell.

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Standing by for test run results.

Reactions: Jeff Hannah

Depresfish

Electric Fly Hunter
  • Apr 16, 2018
    San Clemente
    Name
    Dylan
    Boat
    none
    I picked one up this morning. I've never been super into really defined hips that CNC style jigs (and this one) have. Ive generally observed you have to fish them slower. But the color looks hot. Hooks are super sharp, and feel strong. Split ring, despite being a split ring, looks strong.

I'm on the Native Sun on Sunday, ill try to catch something on it and post here if I do!
    rsz_120210617_134352.jpg

Upvote 0

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Well I threw it for about an hour in the harbor tied to a UC 9E and 25n. That extra weight really makes it fly, but it also makes it swim like a tady 4/0. It does not have anywhere near the surface kick as a dw1, 3, or tandy 45. It swam best on medium retrieve and I think it will work well on days when the fish are deeper or the weather is up
    20210617_200728.jpg

Carl
    Carl
    Does it swim differently on certain rods and reels?
    Upvote 0

CrustyOne

Legend in my own mind
    Mar 7, 2017
    Back in SoCal
    Name
    Crusty
    Boat
    minidrifter
    I agree. Not impressed. Split rings and a crappy weld on the front ring. Took several casts to find the right speed to make it swim. Way slower retrieve than a 7X and even slower than a 45...and it didn't swim as well as either of them. Surface Iron Fail in my opinion. >:(

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    Just got back on a YT trip on the Intrepid at the Ridge and every one limited out on YT. 4 people on the boat used this lure and they worked well but they do bend after every couple 20#+ pound fish but you could also bend them back. The good thing is they swim well 100% of the time vs hit and miss comparing to Tady surface irons.

Levelartist

Oct 6, 2017
    Long Beach
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Susan
    I bought one at Sav-On last week going to try it out this weekend on an overnight trip see how it swims, if it passes the test I’m definitely buying the other colors. Like everyone has mentioned it feels squishy/soft the top layer of the jig, I wonder how many cudas is going to take to strip it all naked. 😬😁
    00E2EBE2-D898-4034-B11F-860641163821.jpeg
    53FC10F2-3B12-4751-B89B-BD8B4B2A67CF.jpeg

Upvote 0