Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Well if He developed the original lure from YoZuri and repackaged with the name “Maurader” in the U.S. that was a special lure.

Reactions: woodfish330

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
The truly “magic” wahoo lures out there seemingly RETAIN....a mystical mojo-type “aura” the more shredded they become from killing fish...From this, they derive a undeniable collectability that equates to male jewelry or dangly fine art.....at least that’s what I keep tellin my wife.....

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I had an original Maurader I got at a garage sale for $1.00. I was a discontinued color -- orange carp -- and had never been fished. It went 6 for 7 before the front hook was ripped off. It is now on the wall.

Mr. Sunshine

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 6, 2008
OC, CA
Name
Barry
Boat
none
Looks like they had actual barbed hooks on them at ICAST last year. Hope they use those and put them on the DTX LRS.

LRS should be defined as NO BARBLESS HOOKS.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
There is no greater tribute to a lure ....it's effectiveness and it's continued durability. .... than to be "retired" to your Wall of Fame after a "storied" life. That's a good sign. The older....The more beat up...The Better it got bit. That's MAN CAVE "jewelry"....As John put it so well up above!! The one you still have .... the epic stories of "Glory" you share with your fishing buddies. The one you "dare" yourself to put out just one more time! Those are the lures I love! LEGENDARY! Has to be earned.... Over and over and over!
Talk is just that. Decades of Success against all or.most other challengers a whole other accolade. To those who remembered.... Thanks for the kind words.:notworthy

Last edited:

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
There is no greater tribute to a lure ....it's effectiveness and it's continued durability. .... than to be "retired" to your Wall of Fame after a "storied" life. That's a good sign. The older....The more beat up...The Better it got bit. That's MAN CAVE "jewelry"....As John put it so well up above!! The one you still have .... the epic stories of "Glory" you share with your fishing buddies. The one you "dare" yourself to put out just one more time! Those are the lures I love! LEGENDARY! Has to be earned.... Over and over and over!
Talk is just that. Decades of Success against all or.most other challengers a whole other accolade. To those who remembered.... Thanks for the kind words.:notworthy
After further review-nice.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Long time members are cautious of new colorful members critiques. Do to others in the industry, groupies, or sell outs, firing torpedos against competition or from jealousy. Sounds like you check out

What about a tar baby color? Seems like a good specific color

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Btw. I have a stack of nomad lures gifted. I feel obligated to be honest. 37 years on the water. Bigbard model :D

But really. The captains input imo for product development. Is the most helpful. Those lures are going to be under the spot light. I'm thinking the jig will stop the boat and dig deep.

As the op knows. Just leave the jigs with Justin, Roy, Tim, Jeff, Randy, ect. If ok and possible. For further feed back.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Thank you brother. I understand. I don't work in the industry anymore and don't have any axes to grind. Tar baby....great color. Statistics have demonstrated that color is better on heavily overcast days.... early and late day trolls. They also showed that for trips to the Sea of Cortez ....(Cabo, San Jose' LaPaz)...etc) it's close to unbeatable. What ever color you choose. ...scar that thing up... even if it's fake scarring done with a red sharpie. As TAR BABY is black....use a white paint pen.... Under the red sharpie. .. to sho up. (41% increase in bites versus unscared).

That bait mimics the fleeing injured fish....to the lateral line...calling in the fish. At 50 to 75 feet away from the bait.....the wahoos visual takes over the hunt. When those lateral line signals (injured fish) don't match the final visual approach (no injuries or scars) ...they have a tendency to vere off radically. Follower but no taker...."Short bite".....bump and miss... or missed completely. Seen it hundreds of times myself from the upper deck. Poached many a fish on the troll for those not recognizing the signs....sleeping at the wheel.

One last thought....it's not your only color is it? If you were only gonna get one...that would not be my lone choice. But to each his own. Been proved wrong many times by second guessing the fish. Either way....let me know if that color worked for you. Just my thoughts....

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
What I have seen and heard from old timers.

Area with mixed small tuna and dorado on kelps with casting jigs. Maybe Tar baby as it has little flash and has a better chance of sinking out without getting bit by dorado or small tuna on the free fall. The hoo are commonly below dorado and small tuna. Or less interest from those fish. Color white is flash so maybe pure black

Maybe the jig hits the lateral line good but the fish has a hard time keying in with its eyes. So the fish eats the jig frantically or never see it again

Allot of beliefs. Dark colors in gray light conditions. And bright colors in sunny conditions. The best color is, gets bit

Reactions: Cubeye

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Tar baby casting metal.....personal.favorite for wahoo. Another that never gets enough accolades is the Gold Hopkins. Special conditions... but when it's on....IT'S ON!! Personally....I bend the siwash slightly inward decreasing the gap. Sticks better in my opinion.
BIG fan of the Salas 6x Tar Baby, I think the bigger jig gives the wahoo more to hit and hold onto till the hook sets. The smaller 6x jr works but you’re going to loose more jigs to clean bite offs on straight tied or heavy fluorocarbon leader. Just my two cents, I don’t wire my jigs

F6A7F8F0-A767-48B0-90A4-330E1E949855.jpeg 8B35DD24-AD71-4140-8190-68BE0AFCA97F.jpeg

Last edited:

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Well if He developed the original lure from YoZuri and repackaged with the name “Maurader” in the U.S. that was a special lure.
This may be true, but YoZuri was not the original designer of this type of "Guppy". They copied the original design from:

The originals were made of wood and came from the builder, Jim McConnachie, in Australia. YoZuri took the design, used different material, and marketed it in the U.S. I still have a few of the original McConnachie lures. And if I recall correctly, they were first introduced by Captain John Grabowski, who ran the Q 105 at the time.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
All I know is they were imported by a company that were in Orange Ca. And sold at the Longfin in Orange Ca. And when I asked about the lure they said it was imported from Japan and made by YoZuri. Shameful legal maneuvers by Braid copyright the “mauarder” name and forced the import company to not use the name. By then the lure made by YoZuri has made it’s name.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
All true. The YOZURI redesign improved considerably on Jims original. I have fished with Capt Grabowski many times and took a great deal of feedback and changes to make the lure Legend we know...As the Original Marauder. I too still have an original McConnichie. It's major problem.....never ran consistently. ....ever. Some were "useable", many would only roll and tangle other troll lures.....causing mass frustration and costly lure loss. All lures have their "roots". Design changes....material improvements, ...modern manufacturing technology...have brought the much need consistency todays anglers demand. "Evolution" has benefited ALL anglers. The Marauder and all of its improvements brought "consistancy".... lure after lure...for decades. Something today's lure manufacturers should revisit from time to time.

Ask yourself this.....Shimano, Accurate... Penn....Okuma...didn't invent the reel... right? They improved designs, materials and brought advanced manufacturing techniques to the product. This is why we as anglers buy their products. A better product. Does it mean you can't use a 1950's Penn reel to catch a 100 tuna? Does it mean you'll load up your reel with "linen line" to get that wahoo tomorrow? No....you won't have too, innovation marches on. Enough said.

Last edited:

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
All I know is they were imported by a company that were in Orange Ca. And sold at the Longfin in Orange Ca. And when I asked about the lure they said it was imported from Japan and made by YoZuri. Shameful legal maneuvers by Braid copyright the “mauarder” name and forced the import company to not use the name. By then the lure made by YoZuri has made it’s name.
Didn't the Mako Marauder come before the YoZuri one? Or are they the same company?

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Didn't the Mako Marauder come before the YoZuri one? Or are they the same company?
YOZURI made the MARAUDER (oem) for Mako. The current YOZURI "Bonito" is that design. Braid "loop holed" the name Marauder....and put it on their poor replica. Sad as that was.....anglers already were familiar with Braids quality issues....and could spot the "fakes" easily. Now that we've had our history lessons......let's get back to the jist of my original post......A $40 - $50 lure should not need "better" hooks.... or Solid wire Welded rings and ball bearing swivels to be a consistent producer. Hydro dynamic testing would show why the split ring's are a failure just waiting to happen. Saw that 30 years ago. Just cheaper and easier to use in them in manufacturing. To assume your customer will know....they have to change out the hardware right out of.the package.....is.sad. Just saying if your coming to class....bring "finished" homework.