Offshore No wounds to lick today :-)

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
Parker 2120
Well, last weekend I got skunked! This weekend we decided that we had to get us at least one! Camped in Mission Bay, got up at 3:45 AM, got some excellent dines and off we went to the 302 (yeah, everyone else was there). Got to the 302 and started fly lining 2 rods. 30 minutes later, bam! The reel is peeling line. I fought it for a few minutes and set the gaff. It was a perfect corner hook. We had ourselves a bloody deck :-) It was a smaller 20 punder fish but we were happy. About an hour later, reel starts screaming again. It felt bigger and fought it for about 5 minutes when it popped. Ugh!! A couple of hours later, the line started peeling again and it felt bigger. Fought it for a few minutes and landed a 28 pounder. Ar this point, we were delighted. Bite slowed down and a few hours went by with no bites. I was marking them but nothing. I had dines on the surface and down deep. Around 1 PM, the reel goes off and I start reeling. I tell my wife, this one is a smaller fish. It is not fighting and I'm able to pull it close to the boat. The fish is 50' under and I tell my wife, the minute he sees the boat, it will take off. Sure enough. This thing takes off and takes almost 200' of line (I have my line marked every 50" up to 250'). Now, the fish feels heavy and is fighting HARD! I fought it for another 5 minutes and then it happened. Yes, the hook popped. I thought I'd be pissed but I was like, we got fish in the boat, I'm new to tuna fishing, be happy! We fished until 2 PM but the bite turned off and we had a long drive towing the boat back to San Fernando Valley so we decided to leave. Overall, it was a great day in the water.

Go get them!

Tuna4.jpg

tuna3.jpg

tuna2.jpg

Tuna.jpg

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Nice job on the “smaller” grade. I remember when BFT were so rare people would go ape shit just to land a 15 lb bft. Now we are spoiled

I’ll take two 20-30 pounders any day. More than enough meat and you don’t get your ass kicked. Been there done that. Hahaha

Thanks for the report. And enjoy the bounty.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Any trip where you try for a particular species and you get a couple is a GOOD trip! Size is pretty much out of your control anyway, unless you are using a bridled skipjack or similar giant bait.

And a trip offshore with a cooperative wife or kid is a very special time. Good Job!

mochosla
    mochosla
    I lucked out with my wife. She is a good catch :-) We've been together for almost 30 years and still enjoy spending time together.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Nice fishing! By "Hook Popped" do you mean "Line Snapped" or "Hook Pulled"? Just curious. And, what kind of hooks? Thanks!

Reactions: Otto
    Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
    Aug 17, 2006
    North County
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    Awesome job will be out there tomorrow and Thursday and hope to put my buddy on his 1st bluefin....may the tuna gods be kind amen !!

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
    Aug 17, 2006
    North County
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    Try fly lining on light line (30lbs).
    Yes sir gonna try it all have setups from 30-40lbs up to 100lbs .....dines, macs, fresh dead squid, and my swordfish squid thats 14 inches long lol !! You think I should run down a bit say around the 302 and work up to the corner? Seems to be where the fish are around now.

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    Love the big swordfish squid idea for night fishing please post up your results!!!
    Reactions: Zika
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
    Granada Hills CA.
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    Yes sir gonna try it all have setups from 30-40lbs up to 100lbs .....dines, macs, fresh dead squid, and my swordfish squid thats 14 inches long lol !! You think I should run down a bit say around the 302 and work up to the corner? Seems to be where the fish are around now.
    I'd try the 226 before I go to the corner. Most boats seem to be in that area than near the 43.

Reactions: Zika
    Upvote 0