GLASS PADDY

Invisible Man
Feb 16, 2009
ABOUT 20 FEET UP
Name
DOUG
Boat
GLASS PADDY
No kill at my reg spot,lots of guys,not many birds on the property today.So I headed for home at about 10:00 and while I was passing the store at Santa Isabel I see my budies truck so I whip in and check on him.He tells me there is some birds gobbling over the hill from his spot but he can't cross the fence line to get closer to them.So he gets the ok by owner to take me in.We get parked and walk for about 10 min, and he makes a few calls and gets no response. So I tell him wait about 10 min and try again.5min later I hear a far away gobble,so we find a spot higher up the hill and sit down. Its pretty windy so I couldn'ttell how far It is so we sneak about 200 yards right up to the fence and I rip out a few really loud yelps on a box,and we hear multible gobbles,so we move back toward where we came from and get set up.I waited about 5 min and call again and now they sound like they are at the fence,and my buddy is bummed thinking they won't come past it.45 min later and some fancy calling I see a white head pop at the ridge line about 30 yards away. So I go quiet on him and he runs strait at us with a another bird right on his ass.he gets 15 paces and my buddy shoots,and I then I shoot as the second bird is turning away. His bird is flopping on the ground,and as he runs up to it he looks over the rise and yells double.He starts jumping up and down high fiving me.His bird is a big tom with about a 10 incher and nice spurs.Mine is a small 2 year old,6 inch beard little nubs for spurs.Not my proudest moment but it will do.Im really stoked he got a nice bird,When I get the pics from him Ill post his up.Here is mine after I got home.

Attachments

• opener 2010.JPG
    opener 2010.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
I'd be proud with any bird... ;)

And that's why you get 3. Get one for the freezer, then use the last 2 on the big boys..... Congrats!!! :cheers:

Upvote 0

Turkey Slayer

Apr 20, 2006
San Diego
Name
Randy
Boat
Waiting for my boat to come in
Awesome! Any legal turkey is a great accomplishment!!!!!!!! I must try again tomorrow... as I blanked today!!

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
I blanked too....but gotta wait for next weekend to try again. Anybody have any ideas about how that wind affected those birds? The usual roost area at the land we hunt had no birds in it this morning....and they were there on Thursday night. They've been in the same area for the last 3 years.

Upvote 0

2nafinder

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2006
san diego
Name
joe
Boat
kayak, float tube
I called in 4 turkey's but no birds. It was kind of funny watching these four clowns try and sneak up on my decoys. I let out a varmint call to get there attention before they slung some lead at my jenny. After they finally figure it out one guy has the balls to set up his decoy less than 100 yards from us. pretty big creek we were hunting in but I guess he figured that was a good spot since someone had already picked it. Oh well another opening day circus nothing new.

Upvote 0

GLASS PADDY

Invisible Man
Feb 16, 2009
ABOUT 20 FEET UP
Name
DOUG
Boat
GLASS PADDY
I blanked too....but gotta wait for next weekend to try again. Anybody have any ideas about how that wind affected those birds? The usual roost area at the land we hunt had no birds in it this morning....and they were there on Thursday night. They've been in the same area for the last 3 years.
Turkeys have about three roost sites this time of year.After fly down they make about a 3 to 5 mile loop and end up at one of there roosts so its common to not see them at the same spot each night .And right now every thing is totaly upto the hens.And usully they will be in the spot sunday night that you needed them at on fri night.One thing for sure is there is no sure thing in turkey hunting,just when you think you got them patterned they will do something totaly different.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I'd be ecstatic to get that bird. Turkeys are the one quarry I've pursued, that after putting in time i'm still at ground zero on the learning curve.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Turkeys have about three roost sites this time of year.After fly down they make about a 3 to 5 mile loop and end up at one of there roosts so its common to not see them at the same spot each night .And right now every thing is totaly upto the hens.And usully they will be in the spot sunday night that you needed them at on fri night.One thing for sure is there is no sure thing in turkey hunting,just when you think you got them patterned they will do something totaly different.

Thanks

Upvote 0

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
    Jun 26, 2004
    With your Mom
    Name
    Jim Perkins
    Boat
    18' Center Console " D-Bar II "
    Doug thats a fine bird!!!!
    I'm going on Tues with our local BP agent if I don't have to work. We should be able to get one of those muthas between the two of us :)

Upvote 0

GLASS PADDY

Invisible Man
    Feb 16, 2009
    ABOUT 20 FEET UP
    Name
    DOUG
    Boat
    GLASS PADDY
    Doug thats a fine bird!!!!
    I'm going on Tues with our local BP agent if I don't have to work. We should be able to get one of those muthas between the two of us :)
    Good luck! Its tougher every year.When I started hunting turkeys I never thought I would get one.No one in SD was doing it yet so I read all about it and picked up what tools I could find,and out I went. All the public land was wide open,no hunters,but not many birds.But finaly on my 3rd season I had my shit together and killed 2 birds I thought I was the king of east county,but no one cared but me.Now there is a shit load of birds but not much public space.Or should I say to many hunters for the amount of space,and to top it off every year won says lots of opertunity in SD.so most of LA shows up here too. But I think week 4 will be the start of the 2nd gobble phase and lots of 2 year olds will be easy to kill.40% of the guys won't go out it happens every year. Even when its slow its nice to get in the woods before every thing wakes up,nothing like walking in the woods in the dark with no lights.So keep going out there, every time I go I learn something about my self or about my inner cave man.Soon the ass holes will be gone and it will be fun.

Upvote 0

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
    Jun 26, 2004
    With your Mom
    Name
    Jim Perkins
    Boat
    18' Center Console " D-Bar II "
    Yep I hate the opener of anything!!!! After a week or two it will settle down and then I just might get my bird :)

Upvote 0