Islands No Seabass Cat 3/22-23

NoBalance

Jul 30, 2016
Orange County
Name
Nick
Boat Name
Invader 183 Fisherman, Etec 115
Short - Went to orange rocks tues/wed. No Seabass. Not able to make squid, and none seen. 1 legal cuda on the croc when fishing inside. Couple calicos thanks to a test Kman special tube bait.

Long -

Weather was stupid good and the wife said yes so I jammed out to Catalina from Newport last minute on Tuesday about noon to spend the night and try for some seabass. I got to the island about 2.

Brought dive and fish gear.

I focused around the orange rocks area as some freedive friends said they saw seabass there last week before the blow.

Tuesday I dove for 2 hours in the afternoon. Water was close to the right color. Very little current. 63 surface, 60-61 thermocline at about 25 feet. No seabass seen or squid beds either outside or inside kelp. Several decent 'cuda seen in the 40'-60' kelp.

Tried to make all along the area Tuesday night. No love. Saw 3 or 4 other boats on the backside. Talked to one who said he was able to scratch up a few squid. I sure couldn't. Had a couple macs and smelt I tried on the dropper loop. Nada.

Up at 6, all the boats along the line were still there - don't think they scored anything.

Dove for 2 more hours. Saw a couple medium schools of 'cuda along the inside in 15-20 feet. No seabass seen. Moved the boat inside and tossed a silver croc until I got one, just legal and going on the smoker today.

I moved around back cause why not, slow trolled a couple macs over Farnsworth. 64 water, and clean blue back there. No takers, not much life on the meter/surface even.

I jammed back about 2 at 22-25kts without skipping a beat. about 110nm run in total - I don't want to see the gas bill.

I attached a couple crappy pictures...

20220323_152916.jpg

20220322_160904.jpg

20220323_152938.jpg

flytie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat Name
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Short - Went to orange rocks tues/wed. No Seabass. Not able to make squid, and none seen. 1 legal cuda on the croc when fishing inside. Couple calicos thanks to a test Kman special tube bait.

Long -

Weather was stupid good and the wife said yes so I jammed out to Catalina from Newport last minute on Tuesday about noon to spend the night and try for some seabass. I got to the island about 2.

Brought dive and fish gear.

I focused around the orange rocks area as some freedive friends said they saw seabass there last week before the blow.

Tuesday I dove for 2 hours in the afternoon. Water was close to the right color. Very little current. 63 surface, 60-61 thermocline at about 25 feet. No seabass seen or squid beds either outside or inside kelp. Several decent 'cuda seen in the 40'-60' kelp.

Tried to make all along the area Tuesday night. No love. Saw 3 or 4 other boats on the backside. Talked to one who said he was able to scratch up a few squid. I sure couldn't. Had a couple macs and smelt I tried on the dropper loop. Nada.

Up at 6, all the boats along the line were still there - don't think they scored anything.

Dove for 2 more hours. Saw a couple medium schools of 'cuda along the inside in 15-20 feet. No seabass seen. Moved the boat inside and tossed a silver croc until I got one, just legal and going on the smoker today.

I moved around back cause why not, slow trolled a couple macs over Farnsworth. 64 water, and clean blue back there. No takers, not much life on the meter/surface even.

I jammed back about 2 at 22-25kts without skipping a beat. about 110nm run in total - I don't want to see the gas bill.

I attached a couple crappy pictures...

View attachment 1365611

View attachment 1365612

View attachment 1365613
If your Invader is white with a navy stripe, I saw you leaving Newport. I was shore pounding back bay between calls.

Thanks for the report and nice boat.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

NoBalance

Jul 30, 2016
Orange County
Name
Nick
Boat Name
Invader 183 Fisherman, Etec 115
If your Invader is white with a navy stripe, I saw you leaving Newport. I was shore pounding back bay between calls.

Thanks for the report and nice boat.
That was the one. She was a lot of work to put together from just the hull. And it did it mostly all the right way. Learned lots in the process. How'd you do on the bass?

Reactions: flytie and Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report/pics. Way to take a look on the
    Lake...that's glassy for backside. Damn.
    WSB and Squid must be somewhere else
    where more current maybe. Damn Ghosts. LOL

Upvote 0

flytie

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat Name
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    That was the one. She was a lot of work to put together from just the hull. And it did it mostly all the right way. Learned lots in the process. How'd you do on the bass?
    Water had too much grass floating in it. Clogged up the rig every cast. Released a few little Corvina for fun.

I've built an Invader... I know the drill. Your boat looks very close to mine.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0