No Pasa Nada, from Loreto to Mag Bay. Sept. 1-7

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by joezee1986, Sep 8, 2019.

1. joezee1986

joezee1986 Baja Bound Salt Junkies

Name:
    Joseph Zaragoza
    Boat:
    Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
    Well I gathered up an interesting group of individuals from different areas of Ca. Seasoned anglers both on boats and kayaks for what we had no idea of what we may get into. I planned out the logistics and winged it on a few parts of the trip but we made it work.

Our meetup spot was in Chula Vista at our buddy Ryans house while Javier (San Fran) and Ricardo (Port Hueneme) would meet up with myself flying in from Sacramento and Jake (Point Loma) would pick me up to head over.

Ended up in Loreto Saturday where we had to assemble some new Hobie Kayaks for Baja Peninsula Tours (Rene). Like a kid on Christmas we were unwrapping these kayaks and running the wiring for the fish finders while sippin' ice cold Pacificos In the heat of Loreto. Next thing was to start putting rods and reels together as we would be rippin' lips the next day.

Day 1
    4 am wake up call and we were excited to see what Loreto had to offer so off we go. When we got to the first location we were greeted with jumping dorado and beautiful scenery. We couldn't have asked for a better, hotter day haha. It was all biscuits and gravy until the weather turned to crap and we were in somewhat of a storm. Ehh what the heck the fish are wet already anyways. So we did what we could until the wind wouldn't let us and wind waves were building and whitecapping. It was time to get out of dodge so we packed up and rolled out.

Day 2
    We just lingered around and loaded up a trailer to take the kayaks over to our place in Mag Bay. The pangas were ready waiting for us and so were we so we loaded them all up do the damn thing all over again this time in the Pacific opposed to the sea of Cortez. After all the hard work I rewarded the guys with some Carne Asada on the grill and some more Pacificos.

Day 3
    3:30 wake up call locked and loaded. We headed up the channel to Boca Soledad (mouth by Lopez Mateos) we decided to use that route so we didn't have to fight the current to get to the 23. As promising as it looked when we arrived the fish didn't want anything to do with us there like they knew we were coming so we headed over to Thetis Bank and dropped in. Thetis was ok and although we didn't get a bunch of fish we had a hell of a time. Some tuna, some dorado and some rockfish. 16 hours for day 3 and we were pooped. Get everything prepped for the next day and to bed we go.

Day 4
    4:30 wake up call head west straight out the boca between Santa Margarita and Magdalena. We followed out a buoy line and came across some dorado action. Offloaded the kayaks again and it was game on for one of us. We decided to head further down the line where we seen a bait ball and marlin chasing. Off the spot we had 2 blues hooked up one to leader and the other put on a show. A few more dorado and we were looking for a new spot. On our way back to the house we opted to stop at one of the pangueros grouper spots where I got my ass handed to me on 100 lb test. Straight rocked got his head turned and the 100 lb came up alone and frayed. Did this 4 times next time I will have to take 200 lb floor and get those guys out of there.

Day 5 the lazy day so we thought.
    We took our time getting up and getting our stuff together we thought we were just going to drift our way down the channel from Lopez to San Carlos boy was I wrong. I knew it was far but damn lol. We ended up with all the turns and fingers we chased fish around in doing about 45 miles. The funniest part was everyone was saying it couldn't be done in a day and we were the crazy ones trying to prove them wrong. 9:30 am departure and landing on the beach in San Carlos at 12:30 pm. We got grouper, pargo, jacks and other species but it was one hell of a trek but couldn't have asked for a better group of guys to have done it with.

IMG_3948.jpg GX014606.MP4.05_09_57_17.Still001_2.JPG IMG_4014.JPG IMG_4012.JPG IMG_4011.JPG acf64695-b195-43be-bab9-355fd45bc403.JPG b4654d0e-6f1c-4a3c-a564-2c2a7a298a25.JPG d5c98164-82ba-47a0-9408-b8b9d54b2d54.JPG 5fe7f076-0e57-4bba-a482-ccb2a9b48c7c.JPG a6d268da-f453-4d28-8e9a-daf6ca2c57c6.JPG A8ECF7F4-66E7-4A99-8BF6-0EC5988DE09F.JPG IMG_3999.JPG IMG_3993.JPG IMG_3992.JPG IMG_3991.JPG IMG_3989.JPG IMG_8475.JPG IMG_3983.JPG IMG_4650.JPG IMG_0932_1.JPG IMG_3971.JPG IMG_3970.JPG IMG_2775.JPG

2. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    That’s Awesome. Mag is the coolest. That’s a long ass paddle that you guys did, damn!

3. Captain Juan SQ

Captain Juan SQ ARLETT DEL MAR.

Name:
    Captain Juan SQ.
    Boat:
    parker 23/20.slaptail.
    looking great joseph,fishonnn&onnn.

joezee1986 likes this.
  4. Bill Erhardt

Bill Erhardt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Erhardt
    Boat:
    Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
    That is impressive! I get tired running down the estero Lopez to San Carlos with 300 horses pushing my boat.
    Congratulations on a great trip.

5. joezee1986

Name:
    Joseph Zaragoza
    Boat:
    Thanks Bill next time drive on over to have a beer.

6. mulegemike

mulegemike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
    Wow what a great trip report! That’s a lot of paddling for sure. Love the pics thanks for the great read!

Fisheye Channel likes this.
  7. Bozly

Bozly Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Sold it and bought an inflatable
    Good job. Sounds like a fun trip save all the paddling tho.

8. Avery Gilleland

Avery Gilleland Member

Name:
    avery gilleland
    Boat:
    tuna can
    Great report! Great beer! You guy's must of been able to close to the Mangroves to fish the biggins. See ya down there.

joezee1986 likes this.
  9. joezee1986

Name:
    Joseph Zaragoza
    Boat:
    Soul searchin 45 miles no pasa nada

Bozly and Captain Juan SQ like this.
  10. Fisheye Channel

Fisheye Channel Member

Name:
    Ricardo Holden
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback Kayak
    Trip of a Lifetime! Thanks Joseph for putting the trip together, it was an unforgettable experience for sure.

joezee1986 and D DIDDY like this.