MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
having landed a few of them, I don't really see a need to. Even with a bang stick, the chance of shooting off the leader is always there...........not so much with a gaff.

(NOT saying you can't screw up with the gaff and release them, but not as likely)

....my $.02

Reactions: One_Leg

tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
I was just asking if there are any spearfishermen shooting the jumbo tuna locally with break away gear. (Not even possible with bang sticks?) Knowing most spearfishing guys are secretive about everything, I just was seeking general info, if need be, just for myself. I noticed this spearfishing section was underutilized and rarely posted on. People DO go out and shoot them, I have friends who nailed some last year, much further away. I thought with a shorter run, it is probably still happening. No malice intended, just fishing for information. There is no comparison between jumping in to spear fish and rod and reel fishing. I love both, but they are a different experience! Give it a try-hopefully both result in Bloody decks!

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
ah......spearguns. My bad.

carry on! :D

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
A little early for the islands off Long Beach...probably July up here...guys off San Diego are getting a few...We put 4 sixty-five + pounders on my Parker last year...weather has been blowing for weeks allowing only a narrow time slot to go out..Just returned my boat to the storage yard, ready for action once the weather goes down..

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Thanks, I know only of nice yellows coming in off of patties. I figured some spearfishermen may want to post a pic or 2 of the jumbo bft shot at the "local" spots! Let the games begin!

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
With a 318 pounder caught off Pt. Loma last week, this could be the year one of us spears a new record 400 lb. fish...My Parker is fueled up and ready to head due west....

Ryeboy86

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 29, 2020
Yuma, AZ
Name
Ryan Moeller
Boat
None
I don't have any info.. But I want to get into spearfishing so bad!! It looks fun and addictive! What would you guy's recommend for size for a speargun for SoCal?

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
All around for small to med size fish, a 48' gun...for gamefish, a longer gun to reach out further with a reel or float line and detachable spearpoint on cable...lets the fish fight the cable rather than bending your expensive shaft...Look up Riffe spearguns for pics and info that will help you visualize better...Check out "Spearboard"...click on " Southern California" for good info and reports...I post there..

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
Lots actually. Went to the new pelagic store in Solana Beach. Conveniently located a few doors down from Pizza Port might I add, The Pelagic store building is half Pelagic and half free diving/ spear fishing. The store as hopping on both sides with lots of spearguns being purchased, big ones

Ryeboy86

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 29, 2020
Yuma, AZ
Name
Ryan Moeller
Boat
None
All around for small to med size fish, a 48' gun...for gamefish, a longer gun to reach out further with a reel or float line and detachable spearpoint on cable...lets the fish fight the cable rather than bending your expensive shaft...Look up Riffe spearguns for pics and info that will help you visualize better...Check out "Spearboard"...click on " Southern California" for good info and reports...I post there..
Thanks for the info!

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
The store in Solana beach is 1/2 Pelagic, 1/2 James & Joseph dive shop. Great place, very good place to get set up. Plunk down some plastic and get it done!