ahi lawaia

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
We had some inkling that maybe the ahi were around so Danny and I decided to take a shot and hope for some dog poop luck. After all, stepping in it ain’t gonna help catch a fish if the boat stays on the trailer at home. The problem was that we both lost our family pooches last year so maybe that plan wasn’t going to literally work.

Right after we finished dropping lines as the first faint glow over the Waianae mountains started to appear, Danny saw an ono rocket out of the water by our port rigger lure but no doggie luck hookup, just a sliced and diced lure (how could that doggone ono miss both hooks!?). About an hour later, I see a small ahi/big shibi jump out of the water about 30 yards in front of the boat, YES! But again, no dog luck; we work that area but no hits, no further sightings, and no birds, so continue out and up. Find a big bird pile but no splashes and still no doggie luck despite working that pile hard. After a while, the tops of the waves are starting to get foamy white, and the few boats that were out there with us have disappeared, so, with no other bird pile in sight, we head back for the middle.

Finally start to see other boats but they all appear to just be going in-and-out, up-and-down; looks like we got there too late and missed the bite. Just our doggone luck! :( We play in the area, dodging and weaving among the other boats which after a while start to spread out or maybe go home since it’s now mid-afternoon. Eventually we see, way out on the horizon, what looks to be several boats bunched up in one area, so we head that way to check it out. As we get closer, however, those boats also start to spread out and go their separate ways.

Just as we’re thinking no dog luck for us that day, wham – HANAPAA – our center goes! Woohoo, fish ON! You guys all know the drill; we’re clearing lines and setting things up and all the while keeping one eye aft looking for anything splashing. No splashes so maybe the right stuff! As we settle in to the grind, we’re pretty sure it’s what we’re looking for, so now we’re hoping everything holds together and the hook stays in. After a bit, we see color and yup, it’s an ahi! The end game goes as it’s supposed to and we get it in the boat and kick the monkey out at the same time.:chestram2 No dogs but still got dog lucky; our dogs are probably sitting at the rainbow bridge waiting for us to toss them some sashimi scraps!

Tight lines, guys; go gettum!

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Courtland and Danny,
Congrats on getting that monkey off your backs! Sounds like the fish are still biting so go get number 2!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Courtland and Danny, good goin' on the critter, bummer on the Ono miss.

Cheers
Pat

ahi lawaia

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Good job hope we can find one today
Thanks, Steve. Saw that you did terrific on the mahi; bummers no ahi.
Glad you stuck it out to get the desired result.
We're glad too, Darren; thanks and thank goodness for a late bite.
Courtland and Danny,
Congrats on getting that monkey off your backs! Sounds like the fish are still biting so go get number 2!
Thanks, Russ; with the monkey gone it felt like the boat was riding on air going home, or maybe that was just us feeling like we were on cloud nine. Get home and let's go look for them after the hurricanes pass.
Courtland and Danny, good goin' on the critter, bummer on the Ono miss.

Cheers
Pat
Thanks, Pat. We would've preferred to do like you and get one early but, given that we started out going the wrong way, were lucky to get that late bite and missing that ono saved all our ice for the right stuff (gotta look at the silver lining LOL).
Good going. Persistence pays off.
Thanks, Don; sometimes being stubborn pays off!