Fjold

Traveling Hitman
Jul 18, 2003
Bakersfield/CA/USA
Name
Frank
Boat
SSBN645, SSBN620, SSN686
Some of the old timers on here may remember my Brother, TINMAN and myself , (FrankO on the old AllCoast boards and Fjold on here) We used to long range a lot but over the last 10 years I was posting pier fishing reports from Gaviota and Goleta fishing piers when I took our elderly mother fishing there.

Mom was a fixture on the Gaviota Pier from the early 1980's through March of 2014 when the pier was closed due to storm damage. Thousands of people knew her as the elderly Asian lady with the big floppy hat who was there 2-3 days a week until we took her driver's license away after an accident in 2010. Since then I would drive down monthly from Bakersfield and my Brother would drive down from San Jose every other month or so just to take her fishing.

I was a casual poster on here of fishing reports during those trips but haven't posted a report in a year or so because of her declining health.

Yesterday, Mom passed away at the age of 90.

Last edited:

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... how many people did she help....learn the art of fishing on those piers. Both you and your brother.... learned from her I'm sure.... even if only at the beginning of your fishing years. Those hundreds of people she knew.... she selflessly shared a little piece of herself with them... to ensure their success. Thats what makes your story great.

My father was a "fixture" on the Oceanside pier. He helped sooooo many people....dads...kids... old people....teen agers.... find the fun of fishing over the years he spent there. His name is on that pier.... and a few benches in Oceanside as a tribute to his love of fishing and sharing it with all people. It was my way of paying tribute to him and his local legacy. When I really miss him.... I sit on his bench.... on his pier.... and talk fondly to his memory. Maybe you can honor your mom in a similar way. Be safe. My condolences....

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    Sorry for your loss, your mom sounded awesome. Not many old women who could fish the piers. Prayers and best wishes sent.

Upvote 0

Troy Schweers

Jun 17, 2017
    California
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Proline 25 WA
    I have been going to Gaviota since the early 70's and had many conversations with your mother. My children always enjoyed her. Every time we traveled up from the south my wife always hoped she would be there to strike up a conversation. She was a kind wonderful woman.

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Your mom raised you guys right.
    Think of all the smiles given and received whilst she fished.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Some of the old timers on here may remember my Brother, TINMAN and myself , (FrankO on the old AllCoast boards and Fjold on here) We used to long range a lot but over the last 10 years I was posting pier fishing reports from Gaviota and Goleta fishing piers when I took our elderly mother fishing there.

Mom was a fixture on the Gaviota Pier from the early 1980's through March of 2014 when the pier was closed due to storm damage. Thousands of people knew her as the elderly Asian lady with the big floppy hat who was there 2-3 days a week until we took her driver's license away after an accident in 2010. Since then I would drive down monthly from Bakersfield and my Brother would drive down from San Jose every other month or so just to take her fishing.

I was a casual poster on here of fishing reports during those trips but haven't posted a report in a year or so because of her declining health.

RIP and condolences to you and your family.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Mom can fish everyday again now,she doesnt have to wait for you guys to come take her.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Tifoso

Chinook,halibut,lings,bottom fish&everything else
    Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤

I am saddened by your loss. Prayers ascending.

Upvote 0

FNNBONES

Mar 5, 2009
    SFV
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    My Feet
    Sorry for your loss brotha. I know how much it hurts to lose the woman and dear friend that brought you into this world. I lost my mom back in 1994 to breast cancer and she was only 62. I spread my moms ashes at Pt Mugu along with my fathers in 1999. He died from lung cancer as well. I visit Pt. Mugu a few times a year to pay my respect. My parents met in the navy and they used to go on dates to the point back in the day. Whenever I go surf fishing I always say a quick prayer and hello to them before my first cast. I can remember to this day my first fish I ever caught was on the beach on the north side of the point with my father.
    Take a deep breath sir and always remember the fond memories of your friendship with your dear mother.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0