dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
After doing some checking, this has nothing to do with recreational anglers in the U.S. This has to do with sport fishing operations that run out of Baja. If purchasing a license in Baja to go fishing with them, if you do not have a license and have to purchase one, you are limited to purchasing a daily license. We are fine here.

Reactions: Captain Juan SQ

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
fees
taxes
quack quack.
The distinction between fees and taxes is very important. Fees are focused on consumers of governmental services, the thought being that the government shouldn't be in the business of providing services to niche groups at the expense of all taxpayers -- the users of those services should pay the cost. A good example is mail delivery service provided by the USPS. If you want USPS service, you pay a fee (for the purchase of stamps, which are necessary to the service). An alternative could be that mailing letters is free and that the cost of running the post office just becomes part of the federal budget paid for by all tax payers. I think most people intuitively realize that the fee approach is better. And, one of the benefits is that if the government charges too much, private enterprise can compete and provide a better service, for less. Of course, everyone knows that the government can't be competitive, so in cases like the USPS, they have a statutory monopoly for all mail service. But, at least with fees, consumers have a voice (even though the purveyors of governmental services largely wish they didn't.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
The distinction between fees and taxes is very important. Fees are focused on consumers of governmental services, the thought being that the government shouldn't be in the business of providing services to niche groups at the expense of all taxpayers -- the users of those services should pay the cost. A good example is mail delivery service provided by the USPS. If you want USPS service, you pay a fee (for the purchase of stamps, which are necessary to the service). An alternative could be that mailing letters is free and that the cost of running the post office just becomes part of the federal budget paid for by all tax payers. I think most people intuitively realize that the fee approach is better. And, one of the benefits is that if the government charges too much, private enterprise can compete and provide a better service, for less. Of course, everyone knows that the government can't be competitive, so in cases like the USPS, they have a statutory monopoly for all mail service. But, at least with fees, consumers have a voice (even though the purveyors of governmental services largely wish they didn't.
this rates a bieber

Reactions: RideHPD

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
At the risk of earning another Beiber award from you, please help me not make that mistake again and explain to me why. I hope you didn't take personal offense to my suggestion that you were wrong in thinking that fees and taxes are the same thing.
If this were a court of law - or a Supreme Court ruling on fee vs tax - your semantical disertation would be well received.

But alas, this is merely Bloody Decks where.....
If it walks like a duck
and if it quacks like a duck
it must be a duck.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
If this were a court of law - or a Supreme Court ruling on fee vs tax - your semantical disertation would be well received.

But alas, this is merely Bloody Decks where.....
If it walks like a duck
and if it quacks like a duck
it must be a duck.
Some of us aspire to be more than merely Bloody Decks. But at least I understand what it takes to earn a Beiber.

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
another word/name for "fee" would be '"usage tax". You only pay the tax if you use the service or product. Alcohol tax, Gas Tax, Toll Charge, Fishing license, car registration fee, Sales tax, recycling fee,

Still a tax. Taxed and fee to death. Its all a Duck.

rossman

Well-Known "Member"
May 21, 2004
Bahia Asuncion
Name
Ross Zoerhof
Boat
Yak and tin boat
spoke to folks at www.sportsfishingbcs.gob.mx

quote" Hello Michael , we are hoping to have it back to normal next week

thanks
Rene" end quote
Spoke to Rene today and she said they hope to be back to normal within 2 weeks. For those not familiar with the finer points of the Mexican culture. That simply means "not today". No other meaning can be assumed.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Spoke to Rene today and she said they hope to be back to normal within 2 weeks. For those not familiar with the finer points of the Mexican culture. That simply means "not today". No other meaning can be assumed.
I now use the term is that 6pm Latina time?

loretopam

May 1, 2011
Loreto/BCS/MEX
www.loretoflyfishingguide.com
Name
Pam
Boat
Cuervo Especial
Ths problem of not being able to buy a 30 day or 365 day fishing permit is only an issue in BCS through the fonmar sales agents, which includes their website.

Annual permits can be purchased through conapesca at the link I provided in my first post to this thread. The refusal of the BCS agents (fonmar) selling 30 day or 365 day fishing permits is a problem created by them and is NOT an issue anywhere else, even in USA. I believe (my opinion) that they [BCSgov] are creating this "problem" themselves because of their lust for $$. They are short sighted and greedy.

The conapesca permits issued online must be paid at a Mexican bank. The receipt will contain two codes that need to be registered in the conapesca website so the permit can be issued and downloaded.

Alternatively the permits can be paid for via an electronic transfer with funds originating in a Mexican bank through the use of our country's sophisticated SPEI system. I just prefer to pay in person at a bank. Anyone who lives here in Mexico, and who has an internet connection, and the money and time to wait in line at the bank can easily get annual permits. If you know someone who can do this for you before you come down connect with that person. If your charter service can do it for you then reach out to them.

This issue has nothing to do with our truly wonderful and excellent new president Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (AMLO).

Fish ON!