YellowJet

Almost A Member
Dec 7, 2018
Oak Harbor
Name
Tim
Boat
19’ Thunderjet
Dropped in at Coronet Bay for the open. We were late at 7am and the lot was full. The trail road gate was open for overflow. Destination was Eastern Bank but the water was choppy so we redirected to McArthur and anchored up. Apparently many boats agreed with that choice. No action except the for WDFW boat and line check. They had yet to see a fish.

After a few hours the water smoothed and we headed to Eastern. The flood had started and the South east bank was not crowded so we floated the slopes several times. Eventually we had to anchor and fished for a few more hours. No luck so headed home. Water was fantastic for the trip home. The fish counter had 12 halibut with about 45 boats out of the water. If I recall correctly the average was about 38 inches.

Good day. Nothing broke, water was great after 10ish, and the boat ran great. Same plan next Thursday. Still on the hunt for my first halibut.

99B620D7-690F-4D13-AAA1-C40796CF33FA.jpeg

3B81F711-963A-4F28-8CDA-6435D4B5EBBE.jpeg

Last edited:

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Fished Hein and Eastern yesterday. Only saw one 15-20#er killed. Fished middle today and killed a 20-25#er. Didn’t see or hear of anything else. Was a little snotty until 9-10, then it laid down nicely.

141D64BE-1FBC-4FB9-90C9-761FB1F8BD25.jpeg

Upvote 0

nauthin

Oct 7, 2019
Seattle
Name
nauthin
Boat
Dreaming
I went on my first offshore trip in WA Thursday 5/13. I went on the Ms Magoo party boat out of Westport. Rolled up with 800 other boats to the worst kept secret in the ocean, but hit our halibut limit for 17 anglers pretty quickly. A couple decent sized ones (looked 30+ lbs) but they weren't weighing them. Then headed in a bit and hit our limit for lings with a few rockfish thrown in- the last few lings took a while but the skipper and mate were being super patient with people- we were right on the fish every drift. It was a great day and I took home a lot of fish!

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    Reactions: Robbym
    Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    I agree with you on the slot limit thing.

I'd be a hypocrite if I talked smack about the guy that killed it, because I've killed a few big girl halibut too, but I wish we'd change the regs so folks (me included) aren't tempted to kill them. They're more valuable in the water than hanging from the bucket.

fb

B
    Benjam99
    First day the weather cooperated well enough for me was Sunday. Went out from wp to the canyon. Boated a couple rockfish, 2 15-20 lb halibut and the biggest ling my buddy ever caught. Im guessing it was 20 lbs.
    Upvote 0

Robbym

May 27, 2021
    Sekiu
    Name
    Robby
    Boat
    Defiance 220ex
    Nice haul but I never understood why people see the need to put their prime seafood on a warm dock covered in gull shit.
    I can assure you that when I decide to start eating the skin and scales and all of the other parts that are coming in contact with all of the seagull poop that I will no longer put my fish on the dock!

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    I can assure you that when I decide to start eating the skin and scales and all of the other parts that are coming in contact with all of the seagull poop that I will no longer put my fish on the dock!
    The way I see it you still have to lay those fish on your cutting board and cut through the now tainted skin and risk exposure of the fillets to said gull shit. You could carefully wash each fish with salt water wash down hose before cutting, adding time to the process at the end of a long day. Best case is you never expose to shit in the first place. Maybe I am over the top but I try hard to treat my fish the best I can to make for the best possible table fare. Just an observation and obviously you are free to ignore.

Reactions: Team Sency

Robbym

May 27, 2021
    Sekiu
    Name
    Robby
    Boat
    Defiance 220ex
    When you’ve caught and cleaned as many fish as I have it’s not a very long day. If you want I’ll give you some lessons. Spend a little less time worrying about my fish and a little more time worrying about your own. If you have any

Reactions: salmonstalkerjr
    Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    Lol. Carry on my good man and keep doing you. I refuse to get sucked into an internet pissing match.

Reactions: Drifter 1
    Upvote 0