Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    This should be an interesting topic on this board.
    I'm willing to bet that the people who express outrage over this are the same ones expressing outrage over perceived infringement on the 2nd amendment.
    If you're a Constitutional fundamentalist on the 2nd then you should support rigid separation of church and state as well. But, I'm betting the loudest voices will be from those who want it both ways, or whatever suits their personal bias on a given issue.....

Of course, narcissistic sycophant stairmen will chime in. :D

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    They should move it to the Children's pool!!

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    When I look at our currency I read "In God We Trust".......

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    It's a Monument on a hill. Big deal.

If you decide to interpret it as a "religious symbol", that is your prerogative.....but just because YOU have a problem with it does not mean you have a right to impose your bizarro world paranoia on the rest of us. Don't look at it if you don't like it.

of course, this just makes too much sense.....no MONEY gets redistributed to the Lawyers.

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
    Apr 27, 2006
    M Class Planet / Riverside
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    To be fair it should read "No God is Welcome in San Diego".

We just went through this in Riverside with the Mt. Rubidoux cross. The city decided to sell the land to the highest bidder with a caveat of perserving the cross. A good friend of mine is part of the land conservancy group that bought the property....and he doesn't have a religious bone in his body, he was interested in perserving part of the city history.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    When a Government Official takes office he places his hand on the Bible and Swears to God to uphold the laws of this Country.....

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    hey I resemble that remark!....carlnext time I see yu I'll take those nasty bills in your wallet off your hands ....cause you wouldn't wanna be a hypocrite lol

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses

When a Government Official takes office he places his hand on the Bible and Swears to God to uphold the laws of this Country.....

How do you feel about that in the context of the Constitution as pertaining to separation of church and state?

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    How do you feel about that in the context of the Constitution as pertaining to separation of church and state?

Does the Constitution really require a strict separation of church and state? That phrase has become so commonplace that many people actually believe it is in the Constitution itself. It is not, of course. Indeed, the phrase reflects a view exactly opposite to what our nation’s Founders actually believed. For them, religion was indispensable for fostering the virtues necessary for successful self-government, and they sought to encourage it wherever they could. The Constitution’s prohibition on the “Establishment of Religion” was designed simply to prevent the federal government from creating a national religion and coercing people to support it, so that religion could flourish and individual freedom of conscience be protected. The fact is, as one Supreme Court justice famously noted, “We are a religious people, whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being.”

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    The words “separation of church and state” do not appear in the Constitution nor in the Declaration of Independence. The phrase was used by the Supreme Court in a 1947 case titled Everson v. Board of Education, and ever since that case, those who desire to de-Christianize America have used this phrase to subdue or to prevent any acknowledgment of God as the Source and the Author of law and government and the “Blessings of Liberty” in America.
    Interestingly, “Separation of Church and State” IS a valid legal concept but it doesn’t mean what I’ve just described. What it actually refers to is the fact that the jurisdiction and functions of these two God-ordained institutions are separate and distinct from each other.
    What it doesn’t mean is that either of these institutions is separate or independent from God and His Law.
    Another way to say this is that, properly understood, “separation of church and state” does NOT mean “separation of God from government.”

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Yucca Valley, CA USA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...." is the exact text from the first amendment. All the crazy interpretations since then seem a little over reaching to me. BTW, our president didn't place his hand on the Bible when he was sworn in, at least that's what I read somewhere on the internet, it was the Koran or some sort of manifesto.

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
    Nov 18, 2008
    Placerville, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    19' Harbercraft

Unfortunately that will most likely also change in the future as well :(

It seems that our court and legal system view freedom of speech as a freedom you can believe in, but can not display or practice. Just look what has happened to our youth organizations........there is a place for just boys or girls getting together....not anymore.

Upvote 0

Rauterki

The worst fisherman on the boat
    Oct 8, 2009
    San Clemente, CA
    www.crossfittothecore.com
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    I'm in the market. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
    In 2010 The Supreme Court ruled that a cross, in and of itself, is not a symbol of Christianity and therefore is not an establishment of religion. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote, "the Constitution does not oblige government to avoid any public acknowledgment of religion's role in society." From what I understand, the cross on Mt. Soledad was erected in 1954 to honor Korean War veterans…..

If crosses on federal land are so unsettling….maybe those who are bothered by them should seek to have these removed as well:
    cemetary.jpg

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    In 2010 The Supreme Court ruled that a cross, in and of itself, is not a symbol of Christianity and therefore is not an establishment of religion. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote, "the Constitution does not oblige government to avoid any public acknowledgment of religion's role in society." From what I understand, the cross on Mt. Soledad was erected in 1954 to honor Korean War veterans…..

If crosses on federal land are so unsettling….maybe those who are bothered by them should seek to have these removed as well:

View attachment 487829
    they aren't quite that brave yet

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Yucca Valley, CA USA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    This ruling really pissed me off. I'm fed up of being told I have to accept others' life "preferences", and I try to because that's the law-of-the-land, after all votes and letigation run their course. Don't like it, but thats it. But when some f-en people that are fractionally "a group" that likely have no military-bone in their or any member of their family's body tell others how to show appreciation and pride in service to those that did serve and f-en die in the course of all of our freedoms, I have a huge problem with. I don't collect guns, but am open to shooting and someday hunting- I just don't think of them safe for MY household.That's why I own dogs. But there is no f-en way I'd ever interject into that arguement b/c a crime is a crime, people do crime, not guns. Harder prison for offenders, any age, period. But to take from the military service of the f-en dead is flat out inciteful. Clump in those f-en people that want the courts to okay their right to protest war at the funeral services of the fallen. Unbeleiveable! Good job, Saluki. I don't need my morning cup of coffee anymore!

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Just one more example of the very few making life difficulty for the many.
    We are just becoming more and more stupid for putting up with this BS.
    GET A LIFE AND LEAVE ME ALONE!

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat

Religious Affiliation# of
    signers
    % of
    signers
    Episcopalian/Anglican3257.1%
    Congregationalist1323.2%
    Presbyterian1221.4%
    Quaker23.6%
    Unitarian or Universalist23.6%
    Catholic11.8%
    TOTAL56100%

<tbody>
    </tbody>

Name of Signer
    StateReligious Affiliation
    Charles CarrollMarylandCatholic
    Samuel HuntingtonConnecticutCongregationalist
    Roger ShermanConnecticutCongregationalist
    William WilliamsConnecticutCongregationalist
    Oliver WolcottConnecticutCongregationalist
    Lyman HallGeorgiaCongregationalist
    Samuel AdamsMassachusettsCongregationalist
    John HancockMassachusettsCongregationalist
    Josiah BartlettNew HampshireCongregationalist
    William WhippleNew HampshireCongregationalist
    William ElleryRhode IslandCongregationalist
    John AdamsMassachusettsCongregationalist; Unitarian
    Robert Treat PaineMassachusettsCongregationalist; Unitarian
    George WaltonGeorgiaEpiscopalian
    John PennNorth CarolinaEpiscopalian
    George RossPennsylvaniaEpiscopalian
    Thomas Heyward Jr.South CarolinaEpiscopalian
    Thomas Lynch Jr.South CarolinaEpiscopalian
    Arthur MiddletonSouth CarolinaEpiscopalian
    Edward RutledgeSouth CarolinaEpiscopalian
    Francis Lightfoot LeeVirginiaEpiscopalian
    Richard Henry LeeVirginiaEpiscopalian
    George ReadDelawareEpiscopalian
    Caesar RodneyDelawareEpiscopalian
    Samuel ChaseMarylandEpiscopalian
    William PacaMarylandEpiscopalian
    Thomas StoneMarylandEpiscopalian
    Elbridge GerryMassachusettsEpiscopalian
    Francis HopkinsonNew JerseyEpiscopalian
    Francis LewisNew YorkEpiscopalian
    Lewis MorrisNew YorkEpiscopalian
    William HooperNorth CarolinaEpiscopalian
    Robert MorrisPennsylvaniaEpiscopalian
    John MortonPennsylvaniaEpiscopalian
    Stephen HopkinsRhode IslandEpiscopalian
    Carter BraxtonVirginiaEpiscopalian
    Benjamin HarrisonVirginiaEpiscopalian
    Thomas Nelson Jr.VirginiaEpiscopalian
    George WytheVirginiaEpiscopalian
    Thomas JeffersonVirginiaEpiscopalian (Deist)
    Benjamin FranklinPennsylvaniaEpiscopalian (Deist)
    Button GwinnettGeorgiaEpiscopalian; Congregationalist
    James WilsonPennsylvaniaEpiscopalian; Presbyterian
    Joseph HewesNorth CarolinaQuaker, Episcopalian
    George ClymerPennsylvaniaQuaker, Episcopalian
    Thomas McKeanDelawarePresbyterian
    Matthew ThorntonNew HampshirePresbyterian
    Abraham ClarkNew JerseyPresbyterian
    John HartNew JerseyPresbyterian
    Richard StocktonNew JerseyPresbyterian
    John WitherspoonNew JerseyPresbyterian
    William FloydNew YorkPresbyterian
    Philip LivingstonNew YorkPresbyterian
    James SmithPennsylvaniaPresbyterian
    George TaylorPennsylvaniaPresbyterian
    Benjamin RushPennsylvaniaPresbyterian

<tbody>
    </tbody>

<tbody>
    </tbody>

The signers of the Declaration of Independence were a profoundly intelligent, religious and ethically-minded group. Four of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were current or former full-time preachers, and many more were the sons of clergymen. Other professions held by signers include lawyers, merchants, doctors and educators. These individuals, too, were for the most part active churchgoers and many contributed significantly to their churches both with contributions as well as their service as lay leaders. The signers were members of religious denominations at a rate that was significantly higher than average for the American Colonies during the late 1700s.
    These signers have long inspired deep admiration among both secularists (who appreciate the non-denominational nature of the Declaration) and by traditional religionists (who appreciate the Declaration's recognition of God as the source of the rights enumerated by the document). Lossing's seminal 1848 collection of biographies of the signers of the Declaration of Independence echoed widely held sentiments held then and now that there was divine intent or inspiration behind the Declaration of Independence. Lossing matter-of-factly identified the signers as "instruments of Providence" who have "gone to receive their reward in the Spirit Land."

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    This infuriates me big time! What a truly screwed up world we have become!

I don't care if you believe in what a cross represents or not..... the thing has been there for as long as I have been living here and it needs to be left alone and stay! Stooopid this whole thing is! Geeeez, I have a telephone pole down the street that looks just like a cross.... maybe they better petition all of those as well..... dumbasses!!

Coins saying "In god we trust" and the threatening to remove it

You're not suppose to say Merry Christmas, and instead "Happy Holidays"

The Childrens pool, built for kids, is now being taken over by seals and forbidden for kids or adults to swim in the area.

Care to add to the BS list, cause there is lots more!

Personally I think that they day they decide to take that cross down.... it needs to be loaded to the gills (and I'm talkn' LOTS) with people who are saying Nah uh.... NOPE..... NO WAY IN HELL YOU ARE GOING TO EVEN THINK ABOUT REMOVING THIS STRUCTURE! Nobody should let this EVER happen!!

Bunch of friggen pansy ass people that have nothing better to do than cause a stupid costly stink over silly Cheeet.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    This should be an interesting topic on this board.
    I'm willing to bet that the people who express outrage over this are the same ones expressing outrage over perceived infringement on the 2nd amendment.
    If you're a Constitutional fundamentalist on the 2nd then you should support rigid separation of church and state as well. But, I'm betting the loudest voices will be from those who want it both ways, or whatever suits their personal bias on a given issue.....

Of course, narcissistic sycophant stairmen will chime in. :D

Actually, any intelligent "constitution fundamentalist" knows that there is no such thing as "separation of church and state" in the constitution. The salient part of the First Amendment "prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion……" Separation is something atheists have made up from whole cloth.

Now, I am assuming that Carl believes that the First Amendment means that "In God We Trust" can no longer appear on US money? Moreover, all US officials will no longer say "So help me God" when they take their oaths of office. Ummm….should the crosses all be removed from from our national cathedral in Washington DC….as a matter of fact, I suppose we shouldn't even have a national cathedral. Lastly, I suppose we have to travel the world over and remove ALL of the crosses which mark the graves of fallen American servicemen where ever we see them. I mean, the cross in question here is over a military cemetery. What say you Carl.

Upvote 0

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 3, 2008
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    James
    Boat
    14' Livingston skiff
    The signers of the Declaration of Independence were a profoundly intelligent, religious and ethically-minded group. Four of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were current or former full-time preachers, and many more were the sons of clergymen.

So a group of rich slave owners who believed that inalienable rights were actually only meant for male/white/protestants qualify as "ethically-minded?" Interesting.

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    So a group of rich slave owners who believed that inalienable rights were actually only meant for male/white/protestants qualify as "ethically-minded?" Interesting.

Actually, the constitution contained the seeds of the destruction of slavery. Moreover, it is a very common mistake when looking back in history to judge folks from ages past on the morals, beliefs and laws of today. Can't be rationally done.

Upvote 0