No electronics....

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by bas13, Aug 31, 2018.

1. bas13

bas13 ...

Name:
    bas13
    Boat:
    Looking
    I have access to a cc for awhile before a buddy takes it to Baja for good. However, it has no electronics (i.e. gps, sounder etc.) It has the basic stuff like radio, compass and all required safety gear. I want to take it out but have never been the "captain" in the salt. I do mostly private trips with the owner of this boat, but he has other boats, so I have never been out on this one.
    Can anyone give some good sound advise on how to approach this opportunity and what things I should add to the boat without spending a bunch $$. My thought is to not venture too far for a trip or two.

P.S. Launching from Channel Islands harbor.

2. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Might be an app for your phone you could use? The GPS in my phone always seems to work out there. If you think you will fish a lot on pb's you might want to invest in a handheld VHF as backup and maybe even a handheld gps if the phone can't be used.

Fish Asassin likes this.
  3. got2fishsd

got2fishsd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Maritime 20d
    Navionics app. Or spend a couple hundred bucks put something on your buddies boat as a “thank you” for borrowing the boat.

4. bas13

bas13 ...

Name:
    bas13
    Boat:
    Looking
    Yup. I am thinking of getting the app for my ipad and looking to find a good deal on sounder/fish finder.
    Also was going to buy a membership to BoatUS (or the like). Thanks guys. Any other info that I might be over looking is greatly appreciated.

5. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    a FF would be a nice "thank you" gift

bas13 likes this.
  6. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    Get a PLB and a handheld VHF with GPS. For a fishfinder, you can probably get an earlier generation Garmin Striker for cheap. It is a fishfinder vut also has GPS tracking so at least you can find your way back home.

bas13 likes this.
  7. got2fishsd

got2fishsd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Maritime 20d
    Some iPads don’t have a built in gps, plus they are hard to see in daylight. The iPhone app is awesome. The advantage of even a basic fishfinder/gps - 1. You have a dedicated GPS 2. You will be able to read bottom depth, density (rocks/sand) as well as water temp plus mark fish and bait.

I have one in the classified section, if you are interested let me know. If not no big deal.

bas13 and sickcat like this.
  8. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    I cannot see my iPad screen in the direct sunlight.

Caseydmaze likes this.
  9. Jim_Arndt

Jim_Arndt Newbie

Name:
    Jim Arndt
    Boat:
    17' center console
    Take her out as is, have a blast. GPS is relatively new, it wasn't too long ago all we had was radio and compass.

Do a radio check, it's pretty important that's working. As mentioned the Navionics "BOATING" app is only 10 bucks. Towing insurance is pretty much required these days, depending on how reliable the engine is and how much of a gambler you are, this would not be a bad idea.

How far you plan to go out would help with the responses, enjoy!

bas13 likes this.
  10. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
  11. Caseydmaze

Caseydmaze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Un-Named
    Boat:
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Agreed. Its horrible.

12. Caseydmaze

Caseydmaze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Un-Named
    Boat:
    18' Stringari Skiff
    I laminated (cheap store bought sheets for like $4) a crib sheet for heading off shore. It has all the spots i usially head and a few more with compass headings to and from. If the fog rolls in and the electronics go to shit, i can still find my way to the three main harbors i use from most anywhere off shore. Just always know your way back home regardless of whatever FF/GPS u buy.
    I highly recommend the Simrad Go line. Imcredibly easy to use and set up however i like. Very intuitive and touch screen works great.

bas13 likes this.
  13. bas13

bas13 ...

Name:
    bas13
    Boat:
    Looking
    Just wanted to update on this. Radio and FF/GPS installed. I will be getting BoatUS before I head out. Any other suggestions? Other than taking it slow and learning the boat I believe I should be good to go. Would like to figure out fuel burn also.

One question that I have seen before on here is whether or not to turn the motor off at sea. I guess personal preference and quality of the motor. in this case it is an older two stroke. Is there a problem with letting a two stroke idle for an extended period of time?

14. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Probably more of a battery issue than an idling issue. If you have two batteries, "start" isolated from "house" then you should be good. Motor off- no charging. A single battery running the FF and radio while the motor is off could be a problem depending of course on the time duration and condition of the battery.

15. bas13

bas13 ...

Name:
    bas13
    Boat:
    Looking
    I hear that. Just my experience with two stroke motors is that the could load up and foul the plugs. (I.e. motorcycle and jetski motors).
    The boat has two separate brand new batteries.

16. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    If you can afford and ipad, you can afford a fish finder.

17. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    For what it is worth, IMO, a conventional "down" fishfinder is of very limited utility for surface fishing. You are much better off looking for birds, paddies, sea color, etc., on the surface AROUND the boat than you are trying to see what is below it. (Bottom fishing, is totally different.) The difference between the fish I see looking forward on my scanning sonar, versus down by the time my boat passes over is huge -- most stuff scampers out of the way, so a down view isn't even showing you what was there before you came along. Possible exception, bait balls, which tend to go down more than out.

I think one of the reasons I am not more successful is that I have invested too much in electronics (etc.), and have become dependent on that stuff, rather than developing my observational skills. Probably analogous to being blind -- a blind guy (at least in the movies) can tell much more about the surroundings than a guy with glasses. Don't be the guy (like me) with fancy glasses.

SouthBayKiller, bas13 and RideHPD like this.
  18. mike mitchell

mike mitchell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat:
    20 Bertram
    Take the boat out into the harbor, fish from behind the breakwater and get used to the boat. Remember to run the boat in the drive way the night before and if it gives you trouble book a trip on the local half day.

19. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I’m with Rick, the meter is good for cod, the eyes are good for everything else. Just fish the boat as is within reason.

20. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    i'd buy used Furuno stuff. get a whole set up for a few hundo.