No Drag on JX Raptor pass Strike

YeeVue

Aug 5, 2018
Long Beach
Name
yee vue
Boat
None
I just picked up a JX Raptor and at 12lbs of drag pressure at Strike, I get close to double the amount of drag one click into full (pass the push button). Is that normal?

If it is, isn't that impractical, considering you still want some drag when you have the fish up and down?

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
It's not normal. My guess is that the cam is installed incorrectly. Back off the preset knob, remove the lever and be sure the cam asserted correctly.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Belleville washers.

Disassemble and check orientation of belleville washers.

Reactions: YeeVue

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
It's not normal. My guess is that the cam is installed incorrectly. Back off the preset knob, remove the lever and be sure the cam asserted correctly.

Agree.

I think the rule of thumb is one leg of the cam points at strike.

If you bought a used raptor and it is not working correctly, you should download the diagram and do a full break down and clean. Not very hard. There's a lot of you tube vids. I think Mayo has videos for this reel

TanstaaflSD

Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
It is not right !

Unless you are comfortable doing a field strip and maintenance....take it into the nearest shop and
PLEASE STOP using it until it is fixed.
Tight lines,

YeeVue

Aug 5, 2018
Long Beach
Name
yee vue
Boat
None
Update,

I broke the reel down, cleaned and greased and paid special attention to the drags. I washed it with dish soap and toothbrush, allowed it to dry, and then added cal's grease and wiped off excess per Alan Tani.

I reassembled and it works perfect now. Drags are buttery and drag pressure feels "right." I'll know for sure next week when I hop on the Thunderbird. Thanks for all the help.

Yee