Ventura Bill

Almost A Member
Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat Name
None
Good friend and I booked this trip in January to get a weekend 1.5 on one of the top boats.

Boat left the dock at 6PM loaded with bait - headed west - rigged up until about 9 - 12:15 AM time to start fishing - Fished all night until gray light landing 25-30 fish - most in the 40-70# range - fished all day - saw tons of fish, got one - ate dinner and fished night time landed 10-15 more fish including four in the 130-150# range - ended the trip with ~40 BFT for 25 guys.

Night fishing what worked:
Knife style jigs - rip roller jigs 200 - 500g - color doesn't matter at all - one guy got two with assisst hooks on a torpedo sinker - don't worry about color - I got two on a slow pitch style gig

Everyone seemed prepared as there was limited heartbreak, a couple of pulled hooks - only one saw off.

Fun story, the four fish in the 130-150# range were all caught on the first drop following a change to a 500g (1 on 400g) rip rollers. Others had been fishing them with some success but all around the same time these four guys decide to go heavier (fish we down as far as 500') and literaly their first drop were the biggest fish.

What didn't work - bait, we had hot dog sardines - I don't think we caught any fish on bait - including the sinker rig

Day fishing what worked:
Nothing. It's a grind too, exhausted from the night before - trying to put your time in on the rail - groggy from the nap -

Fun story - at one point there were six different schools across the horizon - we would go in quietly and drift up to them 3-4 guys cast from the bow - then the bait guys from the stern for nothing - except lil ol me getting my first casting / surface fish (and only daytime fish) on a...wait for it... magic metal jig - swag from a trip that I took my son on to meet the man himself. Adam split the school in half as they approach the starboard side of the boat I made a perfect cast in front of them - saw about 5 adjust course and whammy! was a smaller grade fish but a first on a surface jig and one of the most fun experiences I've had fishing. I used my 40# set up here.

Tips from the crew:
Take your assist hooks off the top - when they bite the bottom hook the top hooks often get stuck in a fin and foul hooking the fish making it a lot harder to bring in.

Assist hooks are preferred over large single hook - per the deckhand they get spit easier. My buddy lost one at gaff when it spit the hook - FWIW I landed 2 on single hook and 3 on assist hooks.

Fish your heaviest gear - My VISX 16 was able to make quick work of the 50#'s I got - my buddy took 40min or so with his 20 to land the 140# - it's like a box of chocolates down there - you never know what your're gonna get. -

The fish are mean and strong AF! See 500g rip roller that landed the 140# and a bent hook on a fish I lost. The brazed ring broke on my TSP on my first fish - replaced with assist hook to land another.

The video is of my buddy losing his fish - the one with the single hook that was spit at gaff

Shout out to Jim, who hooked and handed one of the 140# to a guy who had travelled from Atlanta to catch the fish of his dreams. He lasted about 3 minutes before handing to his friend who lasted about 3 min and handed to the deckhand and back to Jim and the four of them took turns landing the fish. Hope to cross paths with you again.

Shout out to Daniel, he landed 5 as well, all on the rent rod - he's saving up for the heavy gear but end up blowing it on trips and keeps fishing heavy rent rods. You don't have to have your own gear!

Adam, and the crew are top notch - the NLA is one of the best boats in the fleet and these guys are great. That's why we had to book this weekend 1.5 day in January.

IMG_2144.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIMG_2131.jpgIMG_1598.JPGIMG_1596.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1587.jpg

IronMikeAC

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Vagabond
Good friend and I booked this trip in January to get a weekend 1.5 on one of the top boats.

Boat left the dock at 6PM loaded with bait - headed west - rigged up until about 9 - 12:15 AM time to start fishing - Fished all night until gray light landing 25-30 fish - most in the 40-70# range - fished all day - saw tons of fish, got one - ate dinner and fished night time landed 10-15 more fish including four in the 130-150# range - ended the trip with ~40 BFT for 25 guys.

Night fishing what worked:
Knife style jigs - rip roller jigs 200 - 500g - color doesn't matter at all - one guy got two with assisst hooks on a torpedo sinker - don't worry about color - I got two on a slow pitch style gig

Everyone seemed prepared as there was limited heartbreak, a couple of pulled hooks - only one saw off.

Fun story, the four fish in the 130-150# range were all caught on the first drop following a change to a 500g (1 on 400g) rip rollers. Others had been fishing them with some success but all around the same time these four guys decide to go heavier (fish we down as far as 500') and literaly their first drop were the biggest fish.

What didn't work - bait, we had hot dog sardines - I don't think we caught any fish on bait - including the sinker rig

Day fishing what worked:
Nothing. It's a grind too, exhausted from the night before - trying to put your time in on the rail - groggy from the nap -

Fun story - at one point there were six different schools across the horizon - we would go in quietly and drift up to them 3-4 guys cast from the bow - then the bait guys from the stern for nothing - except lil ol me getting my first casting / surface fish (and only daytime fish) on a...wait for it... magic metal jig - swag from a trip that I took my son on to meet the man himself. Adam split the school in half as they approach the starboard side of the boat I made a perfect cast in front of them - saw about 5 adjust course and whammy! was a smaller grade fish but a first on a surface jig and one of the most fun experiences I've had fishing. I used my 40# set up here.

Tips from the crew:
Take your assist hooks off the top - when they bite the bottom hook the top hooks often get stuck in a fin and foul hooking the fish making it a lot harder to bring in.

Assist hooks are preferred over large single hook - per the deckhand they get spit easier. My buddy lost one at gaff when it spit the hook - FWIW I landed 2 on single hook and 3 on assist hooks.

Fish your heaviest gear - My VISX 16 was able to make quick work of the 50#'s I got - my buddy took 40min or so with his 20 to land the 140# - it's like a box of chocolates down there - you never know what your're gonna get. -

The fish are mean and strong AF! See 500g rip roller that landed the 140# and a bent hook on a fish I lost. The brazed ring broke on my TSP on my first fish - replaced with assist hook to land another.

The video is of my buddy losing his fish - the one with the single hook that was spit at gaff

Shout out to Jim, who hooked and handed one of the 140# to a guy who had travelled from Atlanta to catch the fish of his dreams. He lasted about 3 minutes before handing to his friend who lasted about 3 min and handed to the deckhand and back to Jim and the four of them took turns landing the fish. Hope to cross paths with you again.

Shout out to Daniel, he landed 5 as well, all on the rent rod - he's saving up for the heavy gear but end up blowing it on trips and keeps fishing heavy rent rods. You don't have to have your own gear!

Adam, and the crew are top notch - the NLA is one of the best boats in the fleet and these guys are great. That's why we had to book this weekend 1.5 day in January.

View attachment 1393190View attachment 1393189View attachment 1393188View attachment 1393187View attachment 1393186View attachment 1393185View attachment 1393184
View attachment 1393183
Love the report. THANKS!

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat Name
Grady White Marlin 300
Sweet! Thanks for adding the video-Yeah these fish are brutes and the bigger the tackle the better.

Upvote 0

pij0128

Almost A Member
Aug 6, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Ike
Boat Name
n/a
"Assist hooks are preferred over large single hook"

You mean for main hooks at the bottom right? since the crew recommended to take assist hooks off the top?

Upvote 0

scippy559

Jun 17, 2020
Fresno
Name
Chad Nickel
Boat Name
none
"Assist hooks are preferred over large single hook"

You mean for main hooks at the bottom right? since the crew recommended to take assist hooks off the top?
yep, the fish are primarily getting hooked with the bottom hooks in the corner of the mouth if it has not completely inhaled it. If you have the assist hooks on the top then when the fish takes a run away from you that long knife jig places the top assist hook right close to his body and pec fin. if that top hook does hook the gill plate or pec fin or somewhere on its midsection, then you lose any leverage to turn the tunas head, and because your lines pulling from the middle of its body instead of its jaw it turns a 20 minute fight into a 2 hour fight

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat Name
LONG RANGE fishing
Ventura Bill; Thanks for the report. It has a lot of good information for those of us who have not gone out yet and for those you have chased the Bluefin.
My questions are: The bent assist hook you show in the picture, was it the one that came on the lure, or did you use a name brand assist hook(s). Is it better to use 2 assist hooks on the bottom, or just one? How about a LARGE owner SB66 treble hook on the bottom?

Upvote 0

Ventura Bill

Almost A Member
Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat Name
None
Ventura Bill; Thanks for the report. It has a lot of good information for those of us who have not gone out yet and for those you have chased the Bluefin.
My questions are: The bent assist hook you show in the picture, was it the one that came on the lure, or did you use a name brand assist hook(s). Is it better to use 2 assist hooks on the bottom, or just one? How about a LARGE owner SB66 treble hook on the bottom?
Thanks fyermn, those are replacement hooks, I forget the brand. It was a weird situation where the fish went under the boat and I pulled hard to get it out.

I caught 3 fish on a single assist hook and two on double so…

But regardless of brand the capt and deckhands advised changing the hooks.

Im not familiar with the large treble you reference but I haven’t seen any trebles on the three trips I’ve taken targeting bft.

Upvote 0