Nine Days and Counting...

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Feb 8, 2017.

1. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Well shit! I tried....I guess I see why now. Better luck next time! Don't let this trip be your last! I don't think I need to tell you that, but I did.

Rodless_Jim likes this.
  2. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    OK, one quick story, bittersweet, but at least amusing to tell. And this is really the last of it.

We have been at Clarion for a day and a little bit. We arrived before dawn, got one wahoo on the troll, caught nothing, checked in, caught nothing but sharks, and went to sleep. That was yesterday. This morning there was no morning bite. We try really hard, but the tuna won't cooperate. So now we're trolling for wahoo, and my team is up.

It's about 9:00, and charter master Mike Boshard walks up to us at the stern, and when we gather around, he says "I've talked to all the other guys, and they agreed. Bill says that conditions are all wrong. We'll give it to the end of the day, and if it doesn't pick up, we're leaving to fish our way home."

Well my face fell, and everyone saw it. "I wish you had talked to me before, though obviously it wouldn't make any difference. I'll go along with what the captain decides is the best course of action, of course, but honestly I don't like the decision."

Mike smiles, and says "Well Jimmy, if you really want to stay here, we can leave you on the island..."

Anyway, that was that. Catch some fish or make a move.

So I'm standing at the rail with the rest of the trolling team. Ken Bush is keeping us company, sitting in a chair on the back deck and smoking a cigar, a deckie on the bait tank, the captain in the pilot house, and literally everyone else in the salon. So I figure, what the heck.

I tell Ken "if I get bit, reel it in," and I run down to my stateroom and scramble around for some Mexican money, five coins and a 50 Peso bill for good measure. I come back up, and obviously nothing has happened. I give the other guys coins, including Ken since he was there, and I tuck that 50 Peso note in my reel under the line, so if I get bit, it will fly off into the water.

Then I stand there in the center of the stern rail and start lecturing the fish. In Spanish. I was just putting on a show for the other guys, so I really let those damned fish have it. I called them everything under the sun, starting with useless whores, and moving on from there. I went on for a good 90 seconds or so, then I ran out of gas. So I told those guys "kiss your coin and throw it over the stern." They did and they did.

So we started talking for just a minute or two, when suddenly...

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I'm bit! The 50 Peso bill is gone, and line is screaming off my reel. Anglers started pouring out of the salon, like ants when you kick over an ant hill. Instant energy, instant excitement.

Alas, we didn't hook any fish on the drift, and the one I caught was a little necktie of a fish. But for a moment there...

EPILOGUE: One of the other anglers asked me how much that bill was worth. I told him at the current exchange rate, about $2.50. What does that tell you? He said he didn't know, what?

"Not only are the fish here whores, they're cheap whores!"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Sbebdllh, Gabe L., Fishybuzz and 2 others like this.
  3. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    They didn't consider going to hurricane bank?

4. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Are you sure about that?

5. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Yes.

6. Squid Sammich

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    I hope you throw us some Mexican money Jim we've been waiting a long time for a good story.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  7. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    What, you didn't read Craig's story? That's a good story! Grumpy Don manged to read six books on the trip (I was busy wrapping dykes, so I only read four), there were two legit straight flushes at the poker table, and I actually gave away more cigars than I smoked.

Oh, and Scott Mohlenbrok (Fyremo) is not only a pretty darned good angler, he's also a really good guy with one of the most positive vibes I've ever met on a boat.

Really isn't any more to this story. I wish it were otherwise, but...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Sbebdllh likes this.
  8. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Hey Jim, Did you take any pictures? Those will suffice just this once in lieu of your usual painting. :-)

9. Squid Sammich

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Craig's story wasn't a good story. It was an INCREDIBLE journey. I think we can all learn a lot from the rook from Nebraska. Especially how to keep a great attitude.

10. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    This is still one of my favorite Bloody Decks posts of all time. This is due in part to living the story with Nebraska (Craig) from the time he signed up for the trip to corresponding as the trip got closer, to getting a chance to fish with him and get to know him.

Craig was a great deal of fun and his passion and enthusiasm made me remember why I have so much fun long range fishing.

Reading his summary of our trip was like reliving the trip all over again.

I just shot him a PM and have my fingers crossed that he will be coming on next year's Soft Steel Intrepid trip.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  11. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    Enjoyed the post