Nine Days and Counting...

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Well you have the right attitude it looks like. Just don't measure your success by if you caught a cow or not. There's so much more to it than that.

Bill W and Rodless_Jim like this.
  2. Squid Sammich

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    And Curt is colorful guy. He has a lot of great stories and advice to give. Had breakfast with him my last morning in SD and already miss that guy.

3. Squid Sammich

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    If you don't mind me asking, why would you use 130# premier (basically 100# other brand) on your night time sinker outfit which is arguably the one you least need a stealthy presentation on not counting your kite rig? I mean it's night time for starters, and they aren't going to see 130# Deception or maybe even 150#.... And it's not like you need you bait to swim freely because you're sinking his ass with a 12-16oz sinker like Jimmy Hoffa wearing his new Quik-crete boots. Why not use something that has a little more ass to it?

hydro and Bill W like this.
  4. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    That is the truest thing I've read on this board in a long time. The experience is all. I mean, I get to go on a luxurious boat for 15 days, I get to hang out with a whole bunch of really amazing and wonderful people, eat fantastic food, sleep as much as I like with the Pacific Ocean rocking my cradle, smoke cigars any hour of the day or night (top deck only) see places very few folks ever do (Alijos, Clarion, etc...), and most of all, I get to fish for giant tuna.

I mean, come on. Are you really going to judge your trip by whether or not the fish you caught weighed more than X amount?

True story: on that very same first trip, even before my disastrous kite rotation, the very first morning, I get one of the very first bites. This is me, flylining a sardine, using gear borrowed from Titan05 and Willy Casper (still Rodless then), and I hook a big Clarion fish. I fight it for what I'me guessing was 40 minutes, and get it up to color in the bow. Then it's at close color, but I can't gain any more line. Every crank I get, the fish takes it back. I bring it 10 feet closer, it runs 20 feet down. I'm already trying to palm the reel, but I think to myself what everyone told me on the ride down: "the longer the fight, the more likely the fish will get away." I decide I need to put a little more drag on, so I press in the button and push the drag lever just past strike, so the lever is on top of the button. The fish turns its head down and...SHAZAM!!!!! The hook pulls. Two whole seconds after I bumped up the drag.

Here's where it gets painful. I never saw the fish. I was focused on keeping my line level, keeping pressure, maintaining good form, etc. And I was on one knee at the bow. Kevin was there with a gaff, leaning over and giving me encouragement. He was the one who was telling me "just another 15 feet." He saw the fish. In his mind, that one was a done deal. When the hook pulled, his swearing scared a flock of birds into the air off the island...and we weren't that close. So I asked him, "how big was it Kevin? I never saw it." His reply? "220 or more."

Then Brad I comes up to me (yes, he was there too), and he says "don't get down on yourself! You'll have another shot!" I answered truthfully. "I'm not down at all! I don't hardly care at all that the nfish got away. I got to fight him, bring him to the boat. It was friggin amazing!!!"

I lost three certain cows on that trip alone. A pulled hook, a newbie error on a hook set, and a bad knot. I learned from each experience.

And I had the time of my life.

5. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    My quick answer is a stupid one, even if it's the truth. I have a ton of pre-made wind on top shots, and most of my 130 is Premier because that's what I had when I made them.

In point of fact, this time around I have Makai, Blue Label, Yo-Zuri (pink and clear), and Premier. And I am going to be connecting my 130lb top shots with a Pena knot about half the time, instead of splicing in a wind-on. So chances are it may not be Premier.

Having said that, I have no fear using Premier in that situation. It ties a great knot, has excellent abrasion resistance, and there's no way I can break it, even fishing 35lbs of drag. I'll tie on (or splice in) what I feel like using when I rig, and I won't think twice about it.

I'll use Blue Label for big baits, though. Or Yo-Zuri.

6. Squid Sammich

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Always fish the largest leader you can get away with especially at night when all types of dangers lurk in the darkness to cut/fray/burn you off from your next potential cow.

Bill W likes this.
  7. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    It's night time... same time long liners fish with dead bait and 600+ pound branch lines.

8. poncherello

poncherello I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    none

Holy moly Jim. I'm still waiting for the conclusion of the Ken Bush 8 dayer from last year. Btw,
    Your jigs are complete and welded. :)

IMG_5040.JPG

Anglewood, jiggyn and harddrive like this.
  9. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    GORGEOUS, Jerry! Just have to see if they work as I suspect they will.

10. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    You know I read this (I dont actually) and I have come to realize how inadequate my preparation for a LR trip actually is.

I have become more concerned with my First Class Airfare, where am I going to eat when I get to SD. How do it get to Vons for booze and will I have enuf cigars.

I want to thank Jim for making me really think about not bringing any tackle on future LR trips.

Bad for my karma - apparently I am doing it all wrong.

11. Squid Sammich

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Well professor can you share your list of cigars then? Maybe an everyday smoke and then that special stick to celebrate when you catch grandaddy long sickles. Or do you go balls to the wall every day?

12. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    OK, let me know when you're done busting my balls...

;)

Fyremo and JohnTFT like this.
  13. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    LOL. Nice John.... Keep busting them.

Fishybuzz and JohnTFT like this.
  14. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    While this is all amusing, I know, I have these comments to make:

1. With harddrive, this is very much the pot calling the kettle black. He brings more gear than I do. Sometimes the competition is a close one, sometimes not so much, but he always wins.

2. It seems a little disingenuous for the owner of a tackle store to mock me for the quantity (and quality!) of my tackle collection. I got most of it from him in the first place. But hey, have at it...

Today being the 13th, I am now just four days out. I will try my best to sleep at some point between now and then...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Sbebdllh and JohnTFT like this.
  15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    When he's done? You're kidding, right? ;)

I'm done harassing you for a while, off to PV tomorrow to fish the Apollo! :)

JohnTFT likes this.
  16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    We are all just big boys with toys.

Steve K likes this.
  17. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I am laughing my ass off. Disingenuous!

Irony - the fact that I do own a tackle shop. You buy lots of gear from me and I am busting your balls about it. To me that is flat out funny!!

And how did I become the focal point of this conversation? It was Matt Squid Sammich who threw steady ones to get you in the chum slick?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Anglewood, Squid Sammich, dtf and 3 others like this.
  18. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    I typically use 200 lbs. Izor mono for night time big bait applications. Typically use larger hooks at night too . You can really pull hard with confidence when using rope with a big ass hook!

- Jeff Burroughs

Bill W and David Brewer like this.
  19. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    John.

Please post on the board what Jim has bought just in the last 3 months. Let's see. :D

Have a good time Jim.

Harddrive

20. David Brewer

David Brewer Member

Name:
    Dave Brewer
    Boat:
    none
    Love to use 200 Izor rope for dropping the Tady 15 in the dark as well.

Bill W likes this.