Dexter Outdoors

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Looking for a new one
Sadly, I'm not as young as I used to be . . . and steady jig fishing all night for BFT will probably aggravate my hand/wrist pain. So . . . I'm tying to think of ways to keep fishing but take a break from the grind. What are the best night-time bait options for BFT? I'd prefer to use a fairly large hook, and I don't know if there will be any larger baits available. What about a chandelier rig? Something else? Please share any ideas. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Sinker rubber banded to mono or fluoro top shot a distance above the hook...

...top shot spliced to metered braid main.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    2003 summer, On a 3 day aboard the Oceanside 95, Albacore year some BFT. A few anglers one night. Made some large squid and one of those anglers caught a 80lb BFT on a squid just at grey light. Before I woke up. I had just spent the last 4 years in Costa Rica and was rusty and out of date

Next night before pre dawn. I caught a small humboldt (I think it was a small humboldt) and sent it down on 50# on a 2 ounce slider, just before grey light. Hooked a fish crew said shark. A 40lb BFT ate my squid that was longer then the fish. From the long tentacle to the end of the squid was longer then the fish

2003 fall caught these at Alijos just before pre-dawn 1 night. Smaller squid then the BFT squid. Sent it down on a 2 ounce slider 7691 and a Alijos 100 pounder ate the squid. Fished it exactly the same on the same rig as I did for the BFT on the 3 day

150743-1221239787-892ce98269deb6dccb2c00f61c1a9290.jpg

2004 10 day aboard the shogun. Buddy caught a squid the same size as the Alijos squid. Just before dark the large tunafish would come onto the finger bank for 1 hour and feed. Buddy hooked a Cowfish on his squid and got chewed off on 100# in under 20 minutes. Most fish were in the 80lb class but there was another group that moved in. The other big one ate a greenie off the bow after the fisher saw the target on the side scan. The 2 big ones did not eat the sardine. Imo the chum and 80 pounders feeding did attract the giants that then ate a premium hooked bait upon arrival. Before keying in on tasty energy packed straight unnatural sardine chum that did bring them in at first. The boat stopped on the 80lbers that ate the sardine. The largers came in and ate the 1 squid and the 1 greenie.

IMG_20200525_174823.jpg

2006 long trip. Giant humboldt squid caught at Collonet. Brought to hurricane bank. Caught a few fish for the boat. Big slurp deep boil. On that boat, a 7691 and a giant eagle claw 20/0 circle for a kite humboldt squid. The 10lb+ squid

This size or bigger was flown at HB. How radical is that :D
    IMG_20200513_135021.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Squid is the second prey of tunafish

And there are allot of different types of fishes to eat

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Fished those 10 pound squid on the kite many times with the large J hook and circle hook bridle. Very effective with bait laying flat on surface for those yellowfin down there. Biggest difference in fishing a large squid on the kite versus a live or dead flyer was the ability to lift the bait out of the water when a large shark with 10 feet between the dorsal fin and tail showed up. No lifting the bait away from two ton Tony the Tiger when he showed up.

Craziest thing I saw at Alijos on a squid kite bait with two hooks was someone reeling in both a good grade yellowtail and YFT at the same time on each of the hooks. Twofer.

Lastly, one of the absolute best bites on 40+ pound yellows at Alijos at night I ever experienced involved sending down 14 inch squid on 100 pound dropper loops. Many 60lbers hit the deck that night on those large squid baits...

Upvote 0

ljg619

Jun 30, 2020
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Leonard Gibson
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    There are mods that allow you to use a drill to wind up your reel for flatfalling. It’s not intending to fight fish but to alleviate the stress of constant winding.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    🦑🦑🦑🦑🦑

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    BFT love squid... seen some crazy bites on Squid where even the crap spit up on deck was working well..
    They also Love fresh Flying Fish on sinker rigs. If you are ever to be in a situation where a flying fish happens to fly on deck one night in the BFT zone(or big YFT zone) stick that puppy on a sinker rig immediately...

Upvote 0

Spear or rod

• Aug 31, 2008
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tommy T
    Boat
    Anything that floats
    Fishing a big market squid on a sinker sounds like fun.
    Any way to find one now & vac seal/preserve/freeze for Sept trip? Will start lurking around SF fish markets looking for a bigun.Thx for the idea OP. Look forward to chill’n at 3am drinking coffee dangling a big ass squidly down there! Good luck

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    They also Love fresh Flying Fish on sinker rigs.
    Andre,

How do you hook up a dead flyer on a sinker rig? Just use a big hook and nose hook or bridle it?

Upvote 0

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
    Apr 18, 2014
    Open Ocean
    Name
    BajaLifeStyle
    Boat
    Parker 21
    I was out at cortez bank last year and as the sun went down the squid came up. we scooped them under our lights and were able to hook 3 bluefin that night..1 for 3...yeah squid works

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Jumbo squid 4 feet long is the big grouper bait on the Tony Reyes skiff trips.

They called them (Diablo Rojo). I heard about them in the sea of cortez before the pacific side, divers nightmare. Send one down for a grouper or a skipjack on the Tony Reyes 5 dayer skiff trips. Sent down a skippy, panga captain just wanted me to feel the bite on the skipjack. It did not get bit on this trip

IMG_20200512_111424.jpg

Fished those 10 pound squid on the kite many times with the large J hook and circle hook bridle. Very effective with bait laying flat on surface for those yellowfin down there. Biggest difference in fishing a large squid on the kite versus a live or dead flyer was the ability to lift the bait out of the water when a large shark with 10 feet between the dorsal fin and tail showed up. No lifting the bait away from two ton Tony the Tiger when he showed up.

Craziest thing I saw at Alijos on a squid kite bait with two hooks was someone reeling in both a good grade yellowtail and YFT at the same time on each of the hooks. Twofer.

Lastly, one of the absolute best bites on 40+ pound yellows at Alijos at night I ever experienced involved sending down 14 inch squid on 100 pound dropper loops. Many 60lbers hit the deck that night on those large squid baits...

In 2004. I watched a video of the Shogun and 1 other boat. While aboard the shogun.

Anchored at Alijos. Fishing BFT on the big squids, not sure which year it was filmed. But I think a few years before that run on the 2003 70-140lb Alijos YFT. That maybe now go to Lupe

Last edited:
    Reactions: dsl and Bill W
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    BFT love squid... seen some crazy bites on Squid where even the crap spit up on deck was working well..
    They also Love fresh Flying Fish on sinker rigs. If you are ever to be in a situation where a flying fish happens to fly on deck one night in the BFT zone(or big YFT zone) stick that puppy on a sinker rig immediately...

Squid and flying fish

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    They called them (Diablo Rojo). I heard about them in the sea of cortez before the pacific side, divers nightmare. Send one down for a grouper or a skipjack on the Tony Reyes 5 dayer skiff trips. Sent down a skippy, panga captain just wanted me to feel the bite on the skipjack. It did not get bit on this trip

View attachment 1289097

In 2004. I watched a video of the Shogun and 1 other boat. While aboard the shogun.

Anchored at Alijos. Fishing BFT on the big squids, not sure which year it was filmed. But I think a few years before that run on the 2003 70-140lb Alijos YFT. That maybe now go to Lupe
    👌

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Andre,

How do you hook up a dead flyer on a sinker rig? Just use a big hook and nose hook or bridle it?
    same as a sardine on a sinker rig.. or a dropper loop. nose hook and drop down 200 to 300 ft or drop down 50 ft off bottom when at HB . if you are lucky to get a live one or fresh dead..get ready for battle ..lol

Reactions: FishRock
    Upvote 0