Nightmare fuel (also lobstering and crabbing questions)

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    Was lobstering last Saturday night under the full moon off mission beach and the jetties. Got skunked! Not even a short. Anyone else?

One of the things I DID pull up was this nightmare (pics attached). In the dark and not expecting it, it really creeped me out! No matter how much I stared at it, I couldn't figure out WTF I was looking at. Never seen anything like it before, round like golf ball, armored and ugly. So took pics and figured I figure it out at home. Which I did.

He's a purple globe crab (https://www.weiweigao.com/portfolio/randallia-ornata-purple-globe-crab) with big ass barnacles growing on his poor head.

Aside from him, I pulled up a ton of small white-ish flat round crabs, about the size of the palm of my hand. Anyone know what kind of crabs those were?

And speaking of crabs, I tried to figure out which crabs I could keep and cook from reading the regs but it's left me confused. (https://wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Oce...Fishing/Invertebrate-Fishing-Regs#crustaceans)

They mention Dungeness and "crabs of the Cancer genus" but no others. Does that mean all other crabs have no size limits with a bag limit of 35? And does anyone have a good crab ID guide with pictures so I know which are which on the water?

IMG-4295.jpg

IMG-4294.jpg

IMG-4294.jpg

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Sea Pro 170DC
    To be perfectly honest we didn't know what the heck it was so we tossed it back.

If we find it again it goes in the bucket. Tried looking in the DFW book about regulations for them and didn't find anything specific.

Upvote 0

macalusoaj

Feb 10, 2007
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Anthony Macaluso
    Boat
    17 aquasport
    To be perfectly honest we didn't know what the heck it was so we tossed it back.

If we find it again it goes in the bucket. Tried looking in the DFW book about regulations for them and didn't find anything specific.
    Sheep crab are a lot of work to clean but they are tasty which is why I stick to the males wich tend to have more meat. Females will have most of their meat in the body. Oh yeah and they fall under the rediculous limit of 35 other invert....I like crabs and they are totally worth taking when they get big but I couldn't imagine processing 35 of them lol

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    What time did you set the hoops? How many, how long soaks? What bait? So the low tide (0.3') was at 3:52 PM, going to a high (3.9') at 10:19 PM, which is not a huge tide swing IMO. (<6') The moon at 100% came up early (5:45 PM), which may have had a bigger effect, but many say the full moon does not have an effect on the crawl. I think darker is better, but at depth it is pretty dark anyway! Slack tide after 10 PM, so you had a good amount of time for soaks up till then. That barnacle grew in the wrong spot for that crab! My 2 cents-

Reactions: Charts
    Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2017
    SGV
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Arima SC16
    Sheep crabs are good, but Jesus Christ breaking their shells you need a sledge hammer, plus you need a few of them to make it worth the meal. I might keep them if at the end of the night I pulled blanks or just shorts.
    If you get some red rock crabs, cancer genus, those are great tasting. The majority of the meat is in there fat claws, but there's a decent amount in their body that you need to work a little bit to get, but worth the effort.

Upvote 0